JoJo
Beginner June 2022 Hampshire

Ceremony & Reception venues in Portsmouth

JoJo, 6 December 2021 at 10:24 Posted on Planning 0 3
Saved

Looking for ideas for the ceremony venue - so far we're looking at Square Tower and the Registry office, but wondered if there were any other venues that will do the ceremony only?

Also looking for ideas for our reception - would like to have an all day event if possible. I know a lot of restaurants/pubs will only do evening receptions, so any ideas most welcome!

Looking for around 40 guests and in Portsmouth only (don't want to venture off the island).

3 replies

Latest activity by JoJo, 13 January 2022 at 09:06
  • Charlotte
    Super April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·

Not sure if this is in your range but my friend had hers at the Explosion Museum. It had a separate ceremony space in the underground bunker and then reception area, it was so different and a beautiful setting, You may be able to do ceremony only there and find somewhere from reception if wasn't your thing. We are having 2 separate locations but if I am honest it is a bit of a faff to organise suppliers, logistics and travel between and has pushed the cost up a lot, ceremony space is £3k and then £7 for reception with catering, but it is the only place we want to do it as it holds memories for us but they only have a limited number for the evening so didn't work for us to have it all there, but our guests understand and are happy to travel to both venues. I would really think about the logistics of 2 venues and how your guests will locate between before you commit to sperate locations or rule out an all in one venue.

• Charlotte
    Super April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·

Maybe have a look at this for some inspiration, you can play about with the filters for venue type and certain things you want in included

The 36 Best Wedding Venues in Portsmouth | hitched.co.uk

• JoJo
    Beginner June 2022 Hampshire
    JoJo ·
    View quoted message

Thanks for the ideas Charlotte, much appreciated!

There's actually a few hidden gems we found during our searches, thought I'd post my findings in case it helps anyone else!

We were ideally looking for somewhere that's not traditionally a wedding venue, such as a restaurant, pub, unique venue, etc and we managed to find a few that I haven't seen listed on wedding sites:

- Watkins & Faux - this is Southsea Tennis Club and they have a beautiful indoor space and huge rose garden out the back, where there is also space to hire in a marquee, so you can have a sit down dinner either indoors or out in the marquee. There's a wedding brochure on their website.

- Staggeringly Good Brewery - This is a new venture for them, if you're looking for something unique and industrial. They have a HUGE space indoors, with a bar area, large dance floor, stage, sound system etc - they regularly hold events there. Their wedding coordinator is the wife of one of the owners who has been working in the wedding industry for years.

- The Canteen - beautiful cafe in Old Portsmouth inside the arches, with a gorgeous terrace overlooking the sea. It was a bit small for what we were looking for (our guest list ended up being 80) but would be ideal for a small wedding group.

- Southsea Beach Cafe - Right on the beach itself, they have a roof that opens up in the summer to create a beautiful outdoor experience. I don't have any info re: the wedding side of things but I know they do host receptions here.

- Portsmouth Distillery - Again, another new venture for them I believe, they're based down near the Hayling Ferry port in a secluded old fort. They have a big marquee already set up outside, and the grounds are beautiful. From what I understand it would be very DIY as the fort only supplies gin & rum but they were very accommodating to everything else a wedding needs when we spoke to them.

We settled on the Square Tower for our Ceremony, which you can hire for either 2 hours for a ceremony only (after the ceremony itself they have a bar and a roof terrace to enjoy bubbles and canapes), or you can book it for the entire day and have your whole wedding there.

We are then having our reception at Watkins & Faux which is 4 min drive up the road so not too far at all!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics