Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Anonbride
Expert July 2023 Cornwall

Please help me figure out what the guys in my wedding should wear!

Anonbride, 11 of April of 2022 at 14:41 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 2

I have a little bit of an usual wedding party.

FH has one best man (no groomsmen, he didn't want them).

I have a male MOH (gay, quite happy to dress a bit more flamboyantly) plus two female bridesmaids.

Two ushers, my brother and my male best friend (very happy to be a double act).

Officiant, my male oldest friend (flying in from LA so may not be around for suit shopping in person).

Our colour scheme is "sea and sand" so we're going for shades of turquoises/sea blues, gold/tan and white.

FH plans on wearing a tan suit, but likely not the jacket and just a waistcoat (it'll probably be hot and we'll be outside). He'll be wearing white shirt and a gold tie - our initial idea was that the other guys will wear the same just with turquoise ties.

My MOH is going to wear a turquoise suit, again just the waistcoat if FH decides jackets are definitely out. The bridesmaid's will be in turquoise dresses - initially I thought that they could be in the same shade, but we all had a chat about it and the stress of finding dresses that the girls like that matches the colour of a suit that MOH likes is a bit too much so we decided if they each wore a different shade and then walked down the aisle dark->light (or vice versa) that would be nice and hopefully mean everyone wears something they're happy in.

So this has sort of thrown me a bit with the turquoise ties and whether they should be different shades at random or matching...? Should best man have one shade, the ushers another, and the officiant the other? How would I decide who to pair with who if I did that?

Aaaand I'm now getting myself in a bit of a muddle and rethinking what to suggest the officiant and ushers wear. They could match the groom and best man in a tan suit, but then would they look like groomsmen, which they are not... They're all people we're both friends with, but definitely more my side rather than FH's. They could match the MOH, but (a) they aren't bridesmaids - although best friend usher and officiant are kinda being treated like honorary ones as they will be on my hen and (b) it's quite a bold statement to be in a full turquoise suit and while MOH loves it I'm not sure the other guys would...

Any ideas?!

2 replies

Latest activity by Anonbride, 12 of April of 2022 at 17:01
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I would keep it simple. Matching ties for all the men would be sufficient to mark that they are all in the wedding party. I'd keep to exactly the same colour for simplicity. If you want to go the extra mile, you could also get them matching waistcoats, but I don't think it's necessary. Years ago, ushers just turned up in their best suits and no one matched anyway!

If you preferred you could go down the route of having them all (apart from MOH) in matching suits. I don't think people will assume they are your OHs friends more than yours - they will just assume they are in the wedding party, and therefore a family member or close friend of one of you.

Don't overthink it - whatever works best for your venue and makes people feel most comfortable x

• Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Which shade of turquoise should we go for for the guys ties though? As the bridesmaids/MOH will have a different one each? Or should the guys have a different shade 🤔 There isn’t going to be a “main” turquoise as we’re purposely going for different shades in the decor too…

I’m planning on buying the suits/waistcoats for the guys - I want them to feel very much in the wedding and treated on par with the bridesmaids ☺️
    That’s good to know you don’t think people would assume they’re FH’s guys if they are dressed like the best man!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics