Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tracy
Beginner July 2023 Staffordshire

Reception in a marquee

Tracy, 13 of May of 2022 at 21:22 Posted on Planning 0 5
Hi all. my lovely man asked me to marry him a couple of weeks ago. So excited.
This is my second marriage but better this time around. We're thinking of a marquee for the evening as we don't want to have a restriction on numbers. Most of the venues around us have limited space. Any advice? Has anyone literally hired a field for a marquee and used a generator? We're looking at our local cricket club as they have some land we could use and they have a bar and toilets. It's a minefield isn't it!

5 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 15 of May of 2022 at 10:40
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Congratulations! I think it is a great idea but be prepared to manage all the suppliers and making sure you have the insurances etc. My cousin did exactly what you suggest, hired a field mad had a marque and guests them camped for the night. It was an epic festival party but a lot of work as you need to orpices toilets, food and all the alcohol, it actually ended up costing more than a venue. I would suggest waiting a bit and really thinking about your guest list and how many people you will actually have and then see what venue options are available. Our venue could cater from 50 -450 as the space could be divided, so it may be an option if you want lots of people but not having to manage it. That said, if you are wet on the outside space them go for it but do your research and costings before you commit xx
  • Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Charlotte. I really appreciate your advice. There's alot to consider. I hadn't thought about insurance.
    Do you have a venue? We need to visit some different places to weigh up our options really. x x
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We got married 3 weeks ago at Old Wardour Castle in Wiltshire, is a beautiful outside venue and thankfully the weather held! We had 50 for the ceremony and day and then about 120 in the evening which we had at a Hilton Hotel. Takes some time to go and look at different venues, the hotel we had was very art deco so was perfect, there are some hotels that are beautiful and not at all corporate boxes that you expect. Just look at the logistics of each be ue for you and your guests but gonwith what you want as it is your day xx
  • Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Congratulations and your day sounds like it was perfect.
    Thanks again good advice there. We are going to see a couple of places in the next few weeks so I'm sure it will all come together nicely. Best of luck I your married life together x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a few marquee weddings. One was in a field (they hired in loos and a generator) and it was probably the best wedding I've ever been to. Another was on the lawn of the church where the ceremony was held - they were able to use the church kitchen & loos, but the church hall was too small for their number of guests.

The others have all been attached to hospitality venues which didn't have the indoor capacity for the number of guests.

I'd just make sure that you have a big enough marquee for people not to feel squashed if it rains - especially if you're not attached to another building for 'overflow'. A marquee that can feel plenty big enough when it's sunny and the sides are up so people can overflow onto the grass outside can suddenly start to feel really cramped when it's pouring with rain, all the sides are down and everyone has to stay inside!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics