Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Riri
Beginner June 2023 Worcestershire

Can you wait a while after youre married to change your surname?

Riri, 7 of September of 2021 at 08:15 Posted on Just Married 0 3
We're planning to have a Hindu wedding in India first and then a celebrant-led ceremony in the UK around 6-12 months afterwards.

So would I be able to wait until the ceremony in the UK is over before I change my surname? Or will I have to do it after the Indian one as this is the first one and the one that officially makes us husband & wife?

3 replies

Latest activity by Jennifer, 11 of September of 2021 at 21:58
  • Sarah
    Dedicated September 2020 West Sussex
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    As changing your name is a personal choice I think you can do it at any stage, as long as all your documents are consistent etc

For most stuff to be changed you just need to provide your marriage certificate (or a copy) and whoever it is will update their records. Therefore you can do this at any stage
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

You can do it whenever, My only recommendation is to remember to book flights in your passport name, a friend didn't and then had to pay to change the name! You will need to send your Marriage Cert to change certain things such as bank, driving license, passport and medical so order a few copies so you can send off at the same time, or you will have to wait for it to be returned and resend, but check as some ask for the original and wont accept certified copies

• J
    Curious June 2022 Merseyside
    Jennifer ·
    • Hide content

You can change it whenever suits you but like other people have said be careful with your passport x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics