Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner September 2022 West Midlands

Didn’t get photos with some grandparents on our wedding day!

Joe, 13 of September of 2022 at 20:39 Posted on Just Married 0 6

We recently got married and suddenly I’m getting the “post wedding blues” and realised we didn’t get staged photographs with our grandparents.

Thinking about it, it would’ve been so easy to do but the day goes so quick with your mind thinking about a million and one things.
I’m really gutted about this but I can’t go back in time, of course.
Any words or advise is greatly appreciated. I’m sure I’ll get over it but it’s still early days.

6 replies

Latest activity by PhotographybyBillHaddon, 14 of November of 2023 at 10:04
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

That is a shame. When you say you didn't have any 'staged' photos, do you mean you got others? If you have, I'd concentrate on them - the candids are often more 'real' than the staged ones anyway. If not, you could ask if any of your other guests have any photos they can share.

But if 'the worst' happens and there are no photos of you with your grandparents, try reminding yourself that nothing can take away the fact that they were there and saw you get married. Years ago, people didn't have any wedding photos, or if they did, it was just one of the bride and groom.

If it keeps bugging you, then maybe get some pictures taken with your grandparents now - you could even have them hold a photo of you in your wedding dress and turn it into a kind of joke. Like the people who couldn't attend a loved ones' wedding due to Covid, so got a guest to take a picture of them - or had pictures of them taken later with a photo of the bride & groom.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Did you have an official photographer, did they do groups for you.

• J
    Beginner September 2022 West Midlands
    Joe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah we did have an official photographer however it slipped my mind to get one with them. The day goes so fast so we’ve only given it a thought now.

We did get a photo with everyone who attended, in one shot though.
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok, I have an in-depth consultation with my couples and make a note of all the family details and important shots. This is quite normal practice.

I am guessing that you have not yet had the official photos then you may have some coming that the photographer had taken in a candid moment that you do not know about.

It might be a good idea at this early stage to speak to your photographer and tell them your thoughts on this as there could be some that are destined to be deleted because of an odd face or something.

A note for others reading is that in some scenarios - it could of been raining, a delayed wedding or someone went home to feed the dog (it happens ! ) whereby you are short of time after the wedding for all the photos that were wanted. I have heard 100s of times when I mention to the couple that we have not yet done a certain shot and they say "that's ok Bill we will get it later"

The problem is that "later" never happens, especially after a few drinks, then the evening guests arrive and I mention it again but the person has already gone home early.

My advice is to do it now while you can.

• B G
    Beginner August 2023 Suffolk
    B G ·
    • Hide content

I'm gutted for you mate, the exact same thing happened to me at our wedding. Our photographer only dealt with my wife during the planning and didn't speak a single word to me at the venue on the actual day except a "goodbye & good luck" at the end of her shift. Partly my fault for not engaging her directly, but perhaps also a bit unprofessional of her to assume that the groom didn't care about the photos he was paying for, too? The worst part is that my side of the family flew in from America, and the only recognisable photo of my mother and I is one with the back of her head near the side of mine. It just kills me that there's no chance of getting those same people together ever again. I've been trying to figure out how to rectify the situation but so far we've come up with nothing, and our photographer has ghosted us. Would be curious to know if you if you ever got your situation resolved. Best of luck.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds a very odd way for a wedding photographer to work - only speaking to the bride, none of it is not your fault that you did not directly engage yourself. Was there no pre wedding consultation done to discuss all the important shots - like the family from America.

I know nothing about your shooter but when they act unprofessional often its because they are not a professional and only shoot part time.

Did they shoot any groups because it sounds like they could be someone who describes themself as a candid, informal, relaxed, documentary style, all those keywords which could explain some of the descriptions of the photos you made.

Ghosting you is totally wrong.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics