Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Beginner May 2022 Lancashire

Do i get my wedding certificate back after changing my name with the dvla

Emily, 4 of July of 2022 at 08:17 Posted on Just Married 0 7

Hi Guy,

So i'm in the process of changing my name with basically everyone and managed to get round to my driving license, so i sent off my wedding certifiacte along with the appropriate forms etc, but now i'm wondering: do i get the certificate back?

i PAID for 2x copies just in case but on no website or information source does it say i won't get it back.

i've got my license back and it's all correct but no certificate!

Must say, i'll be a bit miffed if i don't!

Has anyone who's already done this got any information?

7 replies

Latest activity by snowshine123, 6 of July of 2022 at 19:24
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

They will send it back under separate cover for security purposes. It can take a couple of weeks after, but if it has been over that I would give them a call. I am about to embark on changing my name, but as we are also moving in 3 weeks I decided to wait and do it all in one go!

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You should get it, although what condition it's in will be another matter - mine ended up covered in coffee stains and very crumpled, which really annoyed me.

• S
    Savvy June 2022 Greater Manchester
    snowshine123 ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, this is a bit off tangent but can I ask how soon after posting your form to DVLA did you get your licence back please? I posted mine 2nd class signed for on 23/6/2022 and there’s no delivery confirmation or signature when I checked track parcel on Royal Mail today :-(

I’ve read that it can take 3-4 weeks for licence to be processed so cannot chase up until this time has passed.
    Luckily I bought 2 marriage certificates but I won’t be happy if I have to pay for a replacement driving licence and possibly another marriage certificate if Royal Mail lost it in the post in the first place x
  • Emily
    Beginner May 2022 Lancashire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Not as long as I though. I also bought two certificates, I can’t remember exactly how long but I’m sure it was within 2 weeks. I was expecting to wait ages, I changed my photo at the same time so I don’t know if that made a difference to the process…?
  • Sarah
    Curious July 2022 Cheshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Give them a call they should be able answer if not you can get copies of your council
  • W
    East London
    Watergirl ·
    • Hide content

I had the same issue. It took about 5 months and finally appeared in a handwritten damaged envelope...

The DVLA are totally out of order holding onto documents at the moment. They also don't take calls or complaints, people are at a loss.

• S
    Savvy June 2022 Greater Manchester
    snowshine123 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Speak of the devil, I received my driving licence and marriage certificate today! Luckily no coffee stains or crumpled up, thank goodness. It was in 2 separate envelopes, so not quite sure why it wasn't signed at DVLA end?

Sorry to hear about that Watergirl, but at least it eventually came - albeit a poor condition x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics