Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner April 2022 Tyne & Wear

Evening wedding disappointment

Sarah, 11 of September of 2022 at 11:05 Posted on Just Married 0 5

I got married back in April this year but have been left with a feeling of disappointment at the evening reception. We got married at 12:30pm and had 70 people at our wedding during the day. The daytime went so smoothly and was lovely! The weather was even so warm. Our wedding was on a Saturday. We invited 30 more guests at the evening reception. 10 evening guests did not turn up but I’m not too bothered about that. We had around 90 guests by the evening time.

Our evening reception was to finish at 12 midnight. At about 8:30/9pm after the first dance and cake cutting but before our evening food, I had a few guests coming up to me telling me they were leaving. One was a really good friend and her partner. Another was a friend who was quite drunk and was taken home by her partner. Then a few older family members left. I started to notice that the venue looked less full later on but my mum reassured me that people were dancing and people were sitting outside the venue and people were queuing at our pizza van. I was a little tipsy so my memory is hazy.

I had 7 bridesmaids. One of my bridesmaids had her 10 month old baby and was looking after him with her partner so I think they went back to the room at the venue about 9pm as I don’t remember seeing them after then which I did understand. Another bridesmaid who only really knows the bridesmaid with the baby, stayed with them and went back to her room early with her partner too. My other bridesmaids looked like they were having a fab time. One bridesmaid however went to her room with her partner at 10pm as they said they were so full from the pizza. Another with her partner left at half 10. The other 3 bridesmaids stayed more less to the end of the night dancing.

My friends are usually party people and expected them (especially bridesmaids) to be there more less to the end. However, my husbands friends were all more or less there till the end. I normally don’t leave weddings till the last hour so just expected the same. I believe we had around 60-70 people there at 10pm and then about 50 at 11pm. There seemed to be lots of evening food left over and people took some home with them.

I feel bad writing this and know I should be grateful that my wedding day went so well and we were able to have everyone there that we wanted. I think I just put pressure on myself for everyone to have a good time. My partner was dancing and so were people all night but can’t remember too much as I was a bit tipsy so not sure if I’m remembering it quite right. Anyway, am I overreacting about being disappointed? Has this happened to anyone else or is this something that normally happens at weddings at the evening reception?

5 replies

Latest activity by Nyarai, 7 of October of 2022 at 10:20
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    It sounds to me like you might be over reacting and not remembering things clearly due to drink which is understandable- I was pretty drunk at our wedding reception. But I didn’t let the little things that happened on the evening bother me. I think you just have to be very grateful that so many people came together to share your happy day. Think of the poor couples who got married during Covid with restrictions on guest numbers.

We got married in July and had similar timings to you although our ceremony was 2pm, our evening guests (approx 18 of them) were asked to arrive at 7pm. We were running late as the meal took longer and they had to clear the wedding breakfast from the room as we used same room for the evening DJ set and photo booth. I remember being slightly disappointed that the dance floor wasn’t totally full the whole time (I danced all night) as we had a separate bar so a lot of people stayed in there. I wasn’t that bothered though. Also my MIL and his sister left at about 9pm! And his family didn’t stay late but I wasn’t that bothered by that as I could then get drunk without them seeing me - ha ha.So I think you need to take a step back and remember the lovely times and how many people were there for you. It’s sounds like your bridesmaids have their own lives as well and made an effort for your wedding but do have their own responsibilities. Try and remember all the positive things about your day. It does sound like lots of it was wonderful!
  • S
    Beginner April 2022 Tyne & Wear
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww thank you! It really was a lovely day! I think I was just disappointed as I didn’t have much time to chat with people daytime and wanted to do that in the evening and dance. I think because people kept coming up to me telling me they were leaving it alerted me to it more. Also after the wedding people told me what time they left and apologised (some of them). Think I was more conscious of it looking really empty but I don’t think it would have done. I can’t remember! I can’t help thinking my day would have been perfect if not for that! Think I just want things perfect all the time and I know that can’t always happen. Just wasn’t sure if this was the standard at weddings or not. I feel bad for being. A bit disappointed but can’t help it! :/
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    We had a lot of evening guests not turn up with no message to explain, it is disappointing as there was soo much food left as well, we also had people leave early, which we understood as our ceremony was at 12 and it had been a long day, BUT we had an Amazing time and that is all that matters at the end of the day, the way I see it is it is their loss. Try not to over think it, is not worth your stress, just enjoy married life x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It's quite common for older people to leave a reception early. Most weddings I've been to, it feels like the evening drinking and dancing is more for young singles and couples than older people or those with kids. Some of your guests may have needed to relieve babysitters and others probably just run out of steam!

I usually find I've run out of steam by the time the evening party arrives. I wouldn't worry about all the people who left early (it sounds like they had a good time, they just didn't stay as long as you'd expected) and instead, focus on all the good things from your day.

• Nyarai
    Beginner September 2022 Nottinghamshire
    Nyarai ·
    • Hide content
    I don’t think you’re overreacting, we got married on the 3rd of September 2022 and at the reception I noticed that there were a few empty tables. It made me so upset because these guests had RSVP and not turned up without a text or a phone call. We had gone through so much in getting the correct numbers as we had limited capacity. I didn’t even invite some of my friends. There was so much food left over, we asked people to take some home and some was thrown away. Wished our local soup kitchen was open that day to give them the food. I don’t know, maybe I’m too harsh but I thought if it was me I wouldn't RSVP if I know I’m not going to make it and I would definitely message if there is an emergency and not just not turn up.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics