Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner August 2014

Family fallout the week before the wedding

eliz_r, 31 August, 2014 at 10:09 Posted on Just Married 0

My OH and I got married earlier this month. It was a stressful run up to the wedding as we were both so busy, and we had his parents staying with us for the week before. Four days before the wedding, my OH took me aside late in the evening after I got back from work, saying that this is 'a bit awkward' but his mother would like me to sign a prenup protecting the property he owns jointly with his brother. It was a complete shock to me, and I barely slept that night, and then the following evening I had a big argument with his mother about it. We cleared the air, she (ungraciously) agreed not to mention it again, and my OH and I privately agreed that we won't be signing anything. But I can't stop feeling angry about it. It feels like a real kick in the teeth, as I have used virtually all of my life savings to pay for the wedding and many members of my family have helped too. His parents paid for the honeymoon, and he has barely paid for anything. We agreed to do it like that right from the outset, as his money was tied up in the property and in some shares and I was completely happy with it as he was providing us with the future security. But it makes me feel extra resentful that his parents were trying to ring fence his assets in case the marriage failed, while I was willing to stake everything I had as well as take my family's money without hesitation, because i believe in the marriage from the bottom of my heart. I also feel so angry with his mum for bringing this up at such an inappropriate time and ruining the run up to the wedding when I had spent so long planning it. It's a really trivial thing, but when I went for my makeup trial I hadn't slept and my skin was awful from crying. On my last morning at work (before I had the argument with her, so nothing resolved at this point) I had to plaster a fake smile on my face and hide how upset I was so couldn't just focus on enjoying the good wishes and gifts from my colleagues. My OH doesn't understand why I am still upset, and the most important thing is that the issue has been resolved, but I can't seem to find a way to move on from the emotional hurt it caused. Am I just being a bridezilla and blowing this out of proportion? Help.

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness, what a ***! You are in no way bridezilla about this - I would have been furious, and how dare she leave it until the last minute to mention it? She was clearly hoping to catch you off guard to either get it out of the way or so you'd be upset.

Can you try and stay out of her way for a few weeks so this can be buried? It doesn't seem that she'll apologise.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics