Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner March 2014

NEED OPINIONS! My new surname will rhyme with my first name

claireee28, 1 of December of 2013 at 06:14 Posted on Just Married 0 25

So i need some honest opinions!

My name is Claire and my fiances surname is Dare!

I would quite happily take his name except that it rhymes. I go through phases of "screw what people think ill be claire dare", to "oh no its too embarrassing".

I dont want to keep my surname coz i want to be connected to my hubby, and i dont know if im keen on hyphenating coz it will probably be annoying? (Any advice from ppl with hyphenated names please!).

People usually laugh when i tell them my future name and dont want it to be like that for the rest of my life!!

What do you think???

P.s. dont even bother suggesting he changes his name, he never would!!

Many thanks!

25 replies

Latest activity by PhotographybyBillHaddon, 31 of December of 2020 at 11:08
  • lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

We are both going hyphenated and love the idea!

But I don't understand why do you say hyphenating would be annoying? ?

You can always merge both names and make up a new one, I saw it has been an increase on that trend.

We didn't find a nice options for ours, but might be something you'd consider?

• Ampy
    Beginner October 2013
    Ampy ·
    • Hide content

Hyphenated is the way forward.

I have a hyphenated first name (Ann-Marie) and was going to hyphenate my surname just to be annoying haha. The plan back-fired when I realised I spend half of my day giving people my email address so it would be quite time consuming and most people spell my first name wrong so trying to spell out my surname as well would just take forever.

I am in the process of changing everything for personal use but will keep my maiden name for work (partly because I am linked to too many bank accounts and various legal entities I can't be bothered changing them all - plus it means the bank would stop all of my cards etc and I couldn't cope with the fath of it). Very romantic I know...

I like Claire Dare if I'm honest…practice your signature using Dare and practise using the hyphenated one, which feels more natural? I'd go with that.

xx

• Penny P
    Beginner March 2014
    Penny P ·
    • Hide content

I love that!

Believe me, mine is awful which is why I'm keeping my maiden name (H2B doesn't know yet...)

• C
    Beginner March 2014
    claireee28 ·
    • Hide content

Haha thanks for your feedback guys!

I think I will take the plunge and go with Claire Dare! Smiley smile

• smoothcrims1
    smoothcrims1 ·
    • Hide content

Claire Dare is pretty memorable. The good thing is no-one will ever forget you! It sounds a bit like a pop star too!

• Jojopug
    Beginner October 2014
    Jojopug ·
    • Hide content

I agree, sounds totally rock and roll, embrace it!

My H2B's surname is already hyphenated so i don't have much of a choice, unless i go all out for the triple hyphenated and start a new trend lol

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

Do it! I have a friend whose first name and surname are exactly the same following her marriage. It makes an excellent talking point x

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

My Mums first and surname rhyme and her first name and surname are spelt exactly the same, apart from the first letter!!

She has a giggle about it, and gets the odd comment, but i think Claire Dare sounds fine! My parents are divorced now and my Mum could have changed her name back to her maiden name, but she hasn't and won't bother.

X

• M
    Beginner June 2014
    MrsACF ·
    • Hide content

I like it, it doesn't sound at all weird Smiley smile

Do you have a middle name you can use though if it bothers you? Sometimes they can make it sound less obvious.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Personally I love the idea of Claire Dare!!! If you want awful names, I once knew a girl called Cherry Pie and I know a poor kiddie called Isla White!!!

• Barnett2015
    Beginner April 2015
    Barnett2015 ·
    • Hide content

Claire Dare is fine! Sounds good to me! An old client used to be Kelly Kelly, so at least you have different words!

Also, an ex boyfriend's surname was Bunyan and when he mentioned me being 'mrs Bunyan' he just couldnt understand why i had an issue...!

I want to keep my surname which is Forsyth, his is Barnett. Do you think Barnett-Forsyth would be too much of a mouthful?

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not when there is a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstal on this earth!!

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

I have been on the hyphenated band wagon for a long time with Wilson-Spittle (Maiden-Married), and our daughter is a Wilson-Spittle already. As time has gone on however I feel like becoming a fully fledged Spittle will make us feel more like a proper family and I will feel more "married"... which i would really love to "feel"... obviously. Um. Anyway, yes coming to terms with Spittle has been a long and painful process after many laughs and jibes.

As lovely H2B has crept up the ladder in his career, I have come to find the name quite sexy when he answers the phone in his business voice. Not something I ever thought I would say.

He did however push for the name Richard had we of had a son (we didnt, thankfully), and I put my foot down. I draw the line at Dick Spittle for ANYONE.?

Back to the main point of this thread... Claire Dare sounds fab. Embrace it.

• Janelly
    Beginner January 2015
    Janelly ·
    • Hide content

Just own that new name. Rhyming ain't necessarily a bad thing! It's short and sweet.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsHick2015 ·
    • Hide content

I honestly agree! I think it's a really cool name Smiley smile. Go for it!! Like the others have said.. no1 will forget you in a hurry Smiley winking

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good lord. Isla White??? Jeeeeeeeezzz.

Claire Dare, did you do it in the end? (I also thought it sounded like a superhero, and therefore frickin awesome!!!)

• C
    Beginner March 2014
    claireee28 ·
    • Hide content

Yes I am now Claire Dare!!! It still feels strange saying it when i'm on the phone etc but i'm getting used to it hehe.

Its not so bad at work because everyone already knew i would be changing to Dare and all their little chuckles have finished!.. will be interesting it i ever change jobs!

Still feel good about having changed Smiley smile

Thanks!!

• Miss-b
    Beginner August 2016
    Miss-b ·
    • Hide content

Hi Claire! So glad you decided to go with the hubbys name, as screw what other people think!

When I finally marry my OH I will be Mrs Simpson and my initial is M so I will be Mrs M Simpson *insert Simpsons based joke* and I can't wait!! When I have kids I can be Mrs.S!

Might seem sad to others but I cant wait Smiley smile Don't let others ruin your happiness!

xx

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

For me, Claire Dare is fine. It's like a happy country song Smiley smile

• McFarley
    Beginner September 2014
    McFarley ·
    • Hide content

I love Claire Dare!! You should definitely do what one of the other hitchers said and own it. Plus it suggests an undercurrent of Superheroine-ness (word?) that I like Smiley winking Love it Smiley smile x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Fab stuff. It's an ace name. Wish my name was so great Smiley sad

• L
    Curious August 2015
    Leah3425 ·
    • Hide content

Love it! Own it! It's nice not to take life so serious. Don't let people bother you. Go on I dare you!

• S
    Beginner September 2015
    Sevenyearhitched ·
    • Hide content

MY first name rhymed with my ex husbands surname and

My first name will rhyme with my new husbands surname.

At least people should remember it.

• Kelly
    Beginner July 2030 North Yorkshire
    Kelly ·
    • Hide content
    Hi well mines similar rhymes too I'm Kelly an my new married name is Kaye but now my initials are Kek.. My husband laughs at it lol I think it's special to have your husbands surname and don't care what others think hunni. It's actually quite catchy. Congratulations we also got married 8th October 2020.
  • C
    Beginner March 2014
    claireee28 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha funny that this has come up 6 years later!
    I'm still Claire Dare and no regrets Smiley smile Screw what people think. Some people think they are hilarious when they make jokes about it *eyeroll*, but I just laugh it off now.
    We also now have two daughters Hazel and Ivy, and both times in hospital when they were born, people have said they sounded like superheroes haha!! Must be something about the name Dare!
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Claire "Super" Dare, good of you to post an update after 6 years living as a super girl !.

At least with the rhyming its easy to say and hear unlike my name Haddon which always gets repeated back to me as "was that" Hacom.... Hadom....Hatton or HADDOCK --- I just say yes now.Smiley xd

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics