Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Z
Beginner August 2021 Warwickshire

Photography slip up - no coming down the aisle photo

Zoe, 24 of August of 2021 at 13:33 Posted on Just Married 0 9

Hi All,

Mainly writing this to get it out of my system but I received my wedding photos yesterday, and due to photogrpaher placement/maid of honour walking very slowly in front of me/me walking too fast as I was excited and nervous, there is not a single shot of me walking down the aisle as I sort of caught up with her. There's a few of her with my head in the background, so you can see me staring lovingly at my new husband haha. I'm just really cut up about it as I wanted that moment so much and due to my own silliness and not thinking "Slow down!" when I turned the church corner and saw she was still walking, I now will never get that shot. Plus, when I got upset about it my maid of honour then got upset and is blaming herself for "ruining my photos" which she didn't, it's not her fault at all, it was all just a chain of events that unfortunately meant no shot. I really want to get past it sharpish as my wedding day was fantastic and I know I don't need a pretty picture to remember how I felt walking down the aisle and I don't want this to put a dampner on my memories but my instagram is so full of people with their floating down the aisle shots I can't help but be jealous, get that sinking feeling, and be sad I don't get that photo. I'm trying instead to write down everything I remember from walking down the aisle so that can jog my memory instead when I'm old and grey. Will I care about this in a few weeks/months/years time?

I also wish someone had told me that in the UK brides go first with bridesmaids behind, would have stopped the whole thing from happening haha!

9 replies

Latest activity by Hampshire Wedding Photographer, 22 of March of 2024 at 10:56
  • Sarah
    Curious September 2021 Tyne & Wear
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Ah I'm sorry you didn't get a photo of that moment and understand why you're gutted. I think I'd feel exactly the same but imagine mine won't be a glamorous float and probably more of a shaky mess haha

Also I'm sure every wedding i've been to in the UK has had bridesmaids go first so you've got me wondering now! Will definitely be checking that with the registrar.

Silly question but were any guests taking any photos/videos that maybe you didn't even realise? Just wondering if anyone captured it without your knowing!

• Z
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No not a silly question but we had specifically asked for an "unplugged" ceremony - aparently everyone was poised ready with phones, and then the vicar as we asked her to said "there is an official photographer so please no photography, the bride and groom want to see your faces!". Which in hindsight is very annoying Smiley laugh But, it was lovely that every time I looked around at everyone all I saw was happy smiling faces rather than phones. Its just a bit of a shame because in all honesty the photographers photos haven't been quite what I expected, so I am a little disappointed.

With the help of the photographer we have pieced together a couple of others shots so there is one of me right at the end of the aisle and with some cropping we have got it looking nice. I guess the thought of - why didn't I just wait a few more seconds or slow down - will always be in my head but at the end of the day, once I'd clocked my husband at the end of the aisle I just made a beeline and that's a nice thought.

But other brides - beware! Do not rush! It is your day take your time and have your moment!!

• Sarah
    Curious September 2021 Tyne & Wear
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Ah I'm so glad you've got something. Hope you feel better about it now!
  • Keira
    Savvy August 2023 Staffordshire
    Keira ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry you didn't get the photo you wanted, but at least you will remember that moment more, even with your bridesmaid in the photo. I'm sure it will be one you look back on in years to come and joke about.
  • Z
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Keira!

With a few days of settling down about it all I can say I feel much better about it. Despite initially being disappointed at the photography (none of the bridal portraits came out so no photos of me alone in my outfit, no walking down the aisle, no non-blurry shot of the church exit, and then generally just a lot of badly focused and angled pictures) I have gone back through and picked my favourites - and guess what there's 127 haha! And we have some great fun/alternative pictures - husband carrying me whilst a bit tipsy at sunset and looking like we will fall over, our dog licking my ear (looks like he's whispering a secret to me!), a shot of us kissing on the dancefloor with the happy chaos around us, me holding up my hand with my ring on just after the ceremony looking so gleeful (I remember now I was talking to my friends who'd helped me do all the flowers and set up the reception the day before, saying "I'M MARRIED NOW B**CHES!" Smiley laugh) So I may not have some of the more traditional ones but I do have some excellent memories captured to (hopefully) show the kids and grandkids!

• Z
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do Sarah, I very much think having some time to just think about other things and then come back to it is the most helpful thing to do! Don't do what I did and cry about it for 2 days and snap at anyone that tries to suggest you are over reacting Smiley xd the post wedding emotional rollercoaster is real!!

• Keira
    Savvy August 2023 Staffordshire
    Keira ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thats amazing, I honestly do prefer 'in the moment' 'natural' photos. 127 photos is a great amount. I'm glad you are feeling alot better about it now. 💜
  • E
    Savvy August 2021 Central & Glasgow
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    Hello
    I understand you're upset but let's be honest out of the 100-250 photos at least what's gonna be your favourite ones that you look back at more and share? Probably the portraits and official photos?

If it's any consolation the one of me walking down the aisle my friends captured are of my double chin....so will not be going on the album
  • Hampshire Wedding Photographer
    Hampshire
    Hampshire Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry to hear you did not get the photographs you liked during that part of the ceremony. Sadly this is something that should've been communicated out before your wedding. I always talk to the Bride and Groom before the wedding to try make sure any mishaps (like this instance) does not occur. Sometimes, at UK church weddings, the vicar insists the Bridesmaids go first, just before waking down the aisle, against my recommendation, when that happens this is always the case (probably about 2/3 times a year) so now my advice is if the Bride is behind, to take her time walking down the isle, walk slow to create some separation, enjoy it and look up at your guests occasionally. Hope this helps future Brides :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics