Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Dyfan
Beginner May 2022 Hampshire

Post Wedding Blues - how to cope?

Dyfan, 3 of June of 2022 at 07:47 Posted on Just Married 0 4

Hi all!

Myself and my partner have just got back home from the most perfect wedding in Cornwall, which we extended by staying a few days longer in a wonderful tipi camping place. The day itself was absolutely stunning and could not have been any better! Spending time with the one I love on such a special day was the best thing I could have asked for, as well as being around all of our loved ones and seeing them all at once.

However, on the day after the wedding (Monday), as people were starting to go and the decorations being lifted, I started to feel a bit blue. Quite anxious, restless, almost depressed. I felt very emotional on the Monday, wanting to cry here and then. I wondered why - I had experienced the best day of my life and I was married to my one true love: what could possibly evoke such a reaction? Since Monday, i've had periods when I feel normal, but other times I will just feel anxious and restless. I have ADHD anyway, so this just exacerbates this even more so.

I am just trying to make sense of my emotions at the moment - am I feeling sad that it's all over, and that the climax has happened? Yes, I believe so - but how long will I feel like this for before things go 'back to normal'? Being back at our lovely home with our cats and dogs just feels odd at the moment, almost like normality has a sense of discomfort to it.

If anyone has any advice on this, do let me know Smiley smile Deep down, I feel so, so happy about marrying my wife and having the most perfect day imaginable, but for some reason, my body won't let me thoroughly enjoy it with high heart rate and restlessless.

TDLR: Had the most perfect wedding, but feeling blue afterwards and restless. How to cope?

4 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 4 of June of 2022 at 23:25
  • S
    Curious June 2023 Worcestershire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    My future husband told me he went through this after his first marriage, he said he phoned his mum the next day in tears. He thinks i will experience the same because it's my first marriage & how engrossed in everything 'wedding' i am.

I think it's a normal reaction, some may feel it more than others & it could hit people at different times. I feel like it the day after Boxing Day & New Years Day...it's like a massive special occassion that can cost money & involve planning & family & love is over and then life simply goes on as normal & you have more time to think as not occupied with planning.
    There is a Pixar film called Soul which highlights this well. The main character is a blues piano performer & his dream is to play for a particular group/singer..when he achieves this he asks "so what is next" to the singer and she points out life will simply go on and he is surprised that even though he just achieved his dream he is still going home to his usual bed, getting up & going about his usual business like nothing has changed. We are sometimes conditioned to think that because something amazing has happened our whole life will be perfect and change.
    I am sure with time you will start to feel less depressed or low & will soon have the 'next' thing to focus on. I also think it's different when people marry now compared to before as previously newly weds had the excitement of moving in together then starting a family but nowadays most couples already live together before marrying & some older with kids already so it does feel more like 'what next?' When you just walk back through your front door & the household chores still need doing lol
    Do you have a honeymoon or holiday you can focus on looking forward to? You could look forward to reliving the day when you receive your photos back.
    Sorry for long reply, i don't have an answer to help but just wanted to let you know it's normal
  • Rachel
    Dedicated June 2023 Greater Manchester
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content
    You could think of plan of how to display your wedding photos in your house and then spend a few days looking at different shops for frame ideas it might inspire you for future plans of changing your house up or ideas of making new plans for the next year / celebration of your wedding anniversary or just plans to make memories together

take your time getting back to ‘normal’ it’s completely normal to be the way you feelXx

• Dyfan
    Dyfan ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks so much Rachel - we are still waiting on the wedding photos at the moment but once they're in, we definitely want to get them framed! We also have our honeymoon in late July, which should help also!

• Dyfan
    Dyfan ·
    • Hide content

Your reply could not have been put any better, thanks Sarah! I think as someone with autism and ADHD, I find great life changes/events hard to deal with after they've happened: I think I 'mourn' them rather than just be thankful that they happened, which is a frustrating trait to have haha!

We do indeed have a honeymoon, but it's around 7 weeks away - something to look forward to for sure!

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    It is hard as the planning consumes your life and then all of a sudden it is over and you feel lost. I was the same, and you then have the wait for photos and honeymoon etc but don't beat yourself up, you had the perfect day, spend time reminiscing on the moments from the day, ask your guests to send you and pics or videos they have as well. I get the difficulty in coping with changes with your ADHD and understand that processing is hard and it will take time for you, but pleas etry and think of the positives of the day. We are 6 weeks since the wedding and I do have moments when I feel sad it all went soo quickly and I forgot bits of the day, we got our photographer is back and there are some group shots we didn't get that I wanted, but then I look at my hubby and smile as we did it and had such a perfect day and are planning our future! We are also buying a new house so replacing wedding stress and planning with that! Take your time and things will settle down am sure x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics