Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Curious August 2021 Cheshire

Professional photos disappointment

Happyyellowcakes15704, 13 of October of 2021 at 16:11 Posted on Just Married 0 4
So we got married nearly 2 months ago. The wedding was at a castle. We had a lovely day and had an amazing videographer for a few hours. The photographer we had was a little over our budget but I thought to spend out to get good results. We had a telephone conversation and then I sent a list of must have but stated I really wanted the majority to be of my groom and I and the castle grounds etc.
They arrived yesterday- mostly pictures of guests, formal ones were fine but the ones when we went to get couple photos are nice but we could have been anywhere. They've got blurred background and none of the castle so all greenery despite being photographed outside the castle and we only have a few of these. Beyond disappointment right now. Even the ones of me getting ready appear rushed ie. I'm blinking, no effort put into the set up. Has anyone done a photo reshot? I really want to go back to our gorgeous location and get photos of us with it in the photos.

4 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 16 of October of 2021 at 11:38
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I am so sorry this has happened, it is my biggest fear as you spend ages researching a photographer and spend so much as to me it is one of the most important suppliers.

Can you ask him if he has any others that are not soft focus? Maybe he discarded them but you may like them. Is it out of sort with his usual style on his website? Is a hard one but I do think you need to open a dialogue with them and see what you may be able to do, am sure they will try and work with you as they won't want bad review. Good luck x
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

From the sounds of it they are using wide camera lens apertures. Without getting too techy these settings are good for low light because they make a bigger lens opening and let in more light but a side effect is that there is no depth of field. An extreme example of this is a head shot if you focus on the tip of the nose then the eyes will be out of focus. On a wider full length shot taken from further away then the whole person should be in focus but the background will be thrown out of focus, like you are seeing.

My guess is that it was an overcast day, but saying that it could just be their style. Some use these lens settings because they call themselves "natural light photographers" maybe their info says we use "fast lenses" There are some that use this technique because they do not properly know how to use flash as a tool for balanced lighting.

Personally I do not use that approach the same reason as you mention.

Look at the image and go to "properties - info" and you may see something like f1.2, f2.8 or f3.5.

• H
    Curious August 2021 Cheshire
    Happyyellowcakes15704 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Charlotte.
    His website shows lots of photos, including ones at same venue we had, which are just what we wanted. The grounds in background but we have greenery which we could be anywhere if that makes sense.
    I've asked for other ones. Some of them are beautiful but a few at best x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

How disappointing!

Do you have any that are the way you want? If you do, I'd just concentrate on those. To be honest, while we had around 300 shots from our day and love looking through our album with the photos of those who came and the venue, we've only had 2 pictures printed out for framing - and they are the same two that everyone else has asked for! So you don't really need dozens, just one or two that work.

It would be worth asking the photographer if he/she has any other pictures that are more like you wanted - if they prefer ones where the background is unclear, you may find they haven't bothered sending you ones with a clear background because they don't like them as much.

As for reshoots - it's really up to how you feel about them. I wouldn't want one because I'd always know it wasn't my real wedding day, but I know other people who have done reshoots and loved them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics