Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner September 2022 Isle of Wight

Sending marriage cert to dvla

Emma, 7 of January of 2023 at 14:33 Posted on Just Married 0 13
I got married in September but I'm only just getting around to sorting out my driving license and passport.

I have read so many stories on here of the DVLA losing marriage certificates, so I planned on sending a pre paid tracked envelope for them to return it to me. However, when I tried to sort this at the post office I was told this isn't possible and all they could do is send it tracked and put a first class postage stamp on the return envelope not a tracked label.
Has anyone had this issue before? Do I need to ask for something else or was the staff member misinformed and I should try another post office?
Thanks in advance to any replies.

13 replies

Latest activity by James, 8 of November of 2023 at 00:44
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

I can't help with the post office but I had no issue getting mine back from DVLA. I just sent the form, my licence and my certificate and the certificate came back in a pristine condition about a week later. We did pay for 4 certificates because I had heard bad stories too so wanted the extras in case they never got sent back.

I wasn't sure about doing my licence and passport at the same time because there is a bit on the DVLA form about them using your passport as validation. However I spoke to DVLA and they said as long as you send your marriage certificate and your current licence then they don't need to contact the passport office. So there is no issue doing them at the same time.

• E
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your reply that's really reassuring.
  • Ellen91
    Dedicated October 2023 West London
    Ellen91 ·
    • Hide content
    If for whatever reason you don’t get it back, I believe you can request another copy from your registry office. But you would have to pay for any additional copies. Just in case you needed a back up plan!
  • H
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's what we did. I paid for 2 when I paid the registrar fees and then we decided to get more just in case so I ordered another 2 online the day after the wedding. All 4 arrived within a few days. £11 each.
  • E
    Beginner January 2023 Tyne & Wear
    Ellen ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, sorry for asking a question on your forum!
    I got married a few weeks ago and trying to sort this all out too! When it comes to certifying your identity, can you still put the passport on even if it’s still in your maiden name? I’m not planning on changing my passport until I get the license back, I don’t look old enough to do anything without ID😂
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi no problem.

I ended up sending my original certificate and it was all fine.
    I just put my passport number on which was still in my maiden name and they accepted it no problem.
    Hope this helps 😊
  • E
    Beginner January 2023 Tyne & Wear
    Ellen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! Oh good glad you’re sorted! My certificate just says “certified copy of an entry of marriage”, I didn’t get one that said original - will that be fine?
  • H
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Mine say that too. I'm not sure if it's because of the change in the process for certificates so you would have got an original a few years ago directly after the ceremony but all the ones they print back at the office are certified copies.
  • R
    Beginner April 2023 South Yorkshire
    Retrobride ·
    • Hide content
    I'm not planning on changing my name, so I don't know anything about that, but I do a lot of posting and I can confirm that what the staff at the Post Office told the OP is incorrect, if this info helps anybody: the price of a signed for letter or special delivery letter is outlined in Royal Mail's price leaflet, and you would need to put the right amount of stamps on the return envelope, along with a signed for/special delivery sticker, and take note of the unique code on the sticker, as this is the tracking number.
  • H
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    When people ask for an original as proof they just want the one from the registrar rather than a photocopy.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, it's weird but DVLA are just about the only people who won't accept a solicitor-certified copy of a document, which is regarded as being as good as the original in every other situation! We didn't realise that DVLA don't accept certified copies, so we sent it off and it came back covered in coffee stains. Bearing in mind the usual cost of certified copies, I was seriously unimpressed, and there's no way I'm trusting them with my original certificate in case it gets the same treatment. You can do a statutory declaration instead, so we're going to do that (which is super weird, because a statutory dec is basically a solicitor saying 'I've seen this person's marriage cert and it's legal' and a solicitor certified copy of the marriage cert is saying the exact same thing, but they'll accept the one and not the other!)

• L
    Beginner November 2021
    LuxuriousGoldDecor79661 ·
    • Hide content
    Hello,

I feel like I don’t have an original marriage certificate just green “certified copy’s”. Did anyone send this to DVLA and did it get approved? Alternatively how do I get my original certificate? This is all confusing!!
  • H
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Original certificates don't exist anymore, that referred to when you would sign your actual certificate after your ceremony and take it away with you. When they changed the system a few years ago, you now just get a certified copy of the certificate held in the computer system. I think DVLA just haven't updated their guidance. I gave them the green certified copy straight from the registrar and they accepted it fine. They just won't accept a photocopy of that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics