Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner November 2015

The no gift bridesmaid

leah1802, 24 of November of 2015 at 13:39 Posted on Just Married 0 18

At the risk of sounding like a spoilt bride, I am completely prepared for any backlash but just hear me out.

we only got married a couple days ago. One of my bridesmaids who was a friend since school has not sent even a card and has not mentioned anything since despite us discussing the day etc.

for each of my bridesmaids I paid for their dresses, paid for hair and makeup professionally done on the day, bought bridesmaid gifts/ keepsakes. My hen party was paid for entirely by my dad and organised largely by my mum. So I feel like my bridesmaids has it pretty easy. The particular bridesmaid in question also had a plus one who she chose to be her sister. We provided an open bar and I'm told that this bridesmaid and her sister were on cocktails for most of the evening (obviously provided by us). This is not about how much expense we incurred, or even a lack of gift from her.

I am hurt about that my wedding day didn't even acknowledge so much as a card from them. I have a keepsake box that I have been using to keep mementos from our day and do not have anything from her or her sister to include. I am incredibly hurt.

Any advice appreciated!

18 replies

Latest activity by HappyGoldStationery13847, 8 of January of 2020 at 22:08
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I can give any advise other than let it go as the only person you are hurting is you.

Congratulations by the way ?

I thing it's disgusting personally that she didn't even send a card. Regardless of people's financial status surely you write a card! I also thing it's pretty disgusting that they drank cocktails paid for by someone else.

The reason I say let it go is that it's too late. You could say something and she buys you a gift and you won't want it nor will it make you feel better. Yes you could have a blazing row and never speak again. Yes you could comain about her to friends who may take sides or feel uncomfortable etc.

For me I think I would feel this person isn't a friend and quietly drop her!

Or if you really want to bring it up and don't care where it goes you could start with you've been looking at your cards and hers isn't there. Or even your dad got the bar bill and you can't believe the cheek that someone drank c many cocktails at made up price. See where it leads you.

• L
    Beginner November 2015
    leah1802 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for reply. I know I need to let it go but it's so hard at the minute. I just feel like i put so much effort into making sure everyone had a great time, including making sure my bridesmaids didn't have to pay for anything (I didn't think it was fair to make them pay for dresses they may nit wear again etc).

it feels like I really valued our friendship, which is why I asked you to be a bridesmaid, bit I wasn't worth the effort it takes to write a card. my wedding box has an empty hole, I just wanted a nice heart felt message really.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think it's understandable you're hurt and angry.

Give yourself time to decide how to deal with her from here.

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I'm afraid I'd be a bit naughty.... I'd phone her or see her, tell her you have a confession to make, get upset and then tell her just how mortified you are that you appear to have lost her card as you can't find it anywhere..... she will undoubtedly comfort you and say not to worry about it, then I'd lay it on thick about how sad I am that I don't have her card to keep and how you didn't even get to open it before it went missing, how you don't even remember seeing it if you're honest etc etc.... it won't get you anywhere but it will make it clear to her how much a card WOULD have meant and maybe she'll think twice about hurting someone else in the same way in future.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I don't understand why people don't get a card for the bride and groom?! When one of my best friends got married another gave her an I o u which I thought was beyond rude! In all honesty I would probably be gutted if I didn't get a card and not be fussed about the present like you as I have a book I have put our rsvps in and intend to stick any cards we recieve in there. There isn't a lot you can do about it in all honesty unless you tell her the truth but that's a very awkward conversation to have! You could say your keeping your cards and would she be willing to write you a message to out in the box to keep?

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Oh 2bMrsC that is really naughty, and really good.

Lapland - that is really rude and IOU, not being funny but Asda knock out cards for 25p.

In regards to the OP, I am really sorry and especially drinking cocktails because they weren't paying. I do think you should do what Jayne says and see if she did forget, and if not, do you really want someone like that in your life going forward? It's not a nice thought to think about, but, losing who you thought was a good friend will hurt for a short time, but it's got to be better than constantly disappoint from a lack of effort for the next 10 years.

• L
    Beginner November 2015
    leah1802 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone. I think an IOU would really send me over the edge, that's dreadful! Better to just not give anything I think!

as you say a card costs pennies, but if really do feel it's the thought that counts. Such a small token and acknowledgement of a special day. It really does feel like my friendship wasn't even worth that!

I had read all other forums and accepted that not everyone brings a gift, it's is after all a gift and everyone has different financial circumstances etc. But I don't feel a card from a bridesmaid, or her guest, was too much to ask. Especially given they didn't have to pay for anything else!

Glad to hear it's not just me that's finds it a bit off!

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Yep I was mortified when I found out! The girl who gave it got married recently and the bride she did it too still gave her a card and gift I woul have sent the I o u back! I guess some people just have no manners

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I am under the impression that guests can give cards and gifts up to a year after the wedding.

That being said, I was somewhat irritated when my brother and his partner didn't give us a card on the day. My wedding was paid for by us (from international flights to alcohol, etc.), and I went to read the cards and nothing from them. Fast-forward several months later when I was at home for their wedding, and the day before, they gave me a framed picture of us that my brother's partner took and a card. It was lovely and obviously something they couldn't give us on the day. I was pretty cross at myself for being so irritated earlier.

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

I can sympathise a bit at how frustrating it is... I fully expect the same from my SIL who is a bridesmaid for me. She got married in April, I put lots of time into a thoughtful gift (a big frame with a print of their first dance lyrics in a heart shape and their names/date below), put a survival kit together in a personalised bag (not cheap!) and gave them cash too. We have not even had a thank you card...

I will be very shocked if either my SIL or BIL get us a proper gift. It's not that I want gifts, but it's the thought that counts.

Not sure there is really anything you can do unless you want to end up having a big argument with her. x

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

I'm really sorry you feel this way Smiley sad

I am, however, going to play devil's advocate...

Does she do cards for other events? My best friend (and also one of my BMs) never does cards for anything. I got a Christmas Card from her this year for the first time in the 5 years I have known her! Her family just don't put a great emphasis on cards (or wrapping presents!)

She felt awful when she found out that our other friend had sent us an Engagement Card - she didn't even know that it was the 'done thing' so I don't really expect anything from her for the Wedding!

However, if your BM is usually good at cards then I would just casually drop it into conversation. Like - "I was sorting the card box out and I can't seem to find your card - did you definitely put it in? I really want to make sure it is included in our keepsake box"

• R
    Dedicated July 2017
    RomanticBrownFlowers354 ·
    • Hide content

I'll prob get slated for this but I am not going to lie, I plead guilty to being bad card person. As suggested above, maybe consider if she normally does cards. I grew up lots of siblings, divorced parents and very little in terms of money presents etc and so it is kind of built in me that we don't make a fuss of cards and gifts. This has stayed with me and I am absolutely hopeless, especially with cards. I do think however that my main stumbling block is the process of getting the address (I am disorganised and don't have them all written in one place!) and finding a stamp (a rarity in my house), and posting it, all in good time.

BUT with a wedding I think that I would be different in that I am attending an event, the same way as if I was attending a birthday celebration. I personally don't expect cards from everyone at my wedding but a bridesmaid.....yes. I think that you should play the sneaky game and drop it into conversation how devastated you are that you lost it. See what her reaction is. If she admits to not doing one, try and be the bigger person and request that she writes something for you to keep in your wedding keepsake box? Then try and move on.

• L
    Beginner November 2015
    leah1802 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your opinions everyone. I agree some people just don't do cards and that's ok, but surely for a wedding it can't be too much trouble to buy a cheap one.

anyway, husband could see how upset I was getting over it so I casually called and asked said bridesmaid that I was doing a keepsake box and was really upset because I couldn't find her card and worried I now had nothing from her to put in it. her reply was 'oh yeah, I don't do cards'. and that was it, no further explanation or discussion. I was too shocked to say anything more as she rambled on about something unrelated.

we tried our hardest to put on a great day for our guests, as we wanted them to have a great time at our party. I even feel likeyou bridesmaids were lavished and had it pretty easy (I speak from experience of having to pay to have my own hair and makeup done and pay for a dress i am unlikely to wear again having been bridesmaids for others). I think that to be a bridesmaid and not even bring a card is really lousy.

husband thinks rather bluntly that perhaps the friendship meant more to me than her.

I am letting it go. But I won't be making such an effort with this friend in the future!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Glad you got it off your chest just a little with her. Even people I know who don't do cards would dream of turning up at a wedding empty handed and would bring a bottle, small gift etc. And even if you don't do cards and can't afford a gift then as you say a cheap card with a message in is lovely for you and costs her nothing.

I agree with hubby. Have you never had birthday or Christmas cards off her? Maybe you should stop doing cards for her also. She obviously has no appreciation for any you would send her. She can't have it all ways that she loves yours but doesn't 'do' cards herself.

Hopefully she will get married and you can do the same lol.

• R
    Beginner May 2019
    RomanticBrownDiamonds27689 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, i had a similar experience recently.

I am getting married soon and was wanting to buy bridesmaid dresses and organise my henny ideas. My bridesmaids (best friends of 10 years) kept holding up the dress order with excuses like we need to check sizes etc...all ok I understood at the time. Now with the wedding coming up I had to push my bridesmaids to pick their dresses and order them - my mum was paying for everything. They also were in charge of planning my henny and arranging my make up and hair. It had been a while into planning the henny and things started to get heated between them and my mum, they were wanting me to go abroad but my mum knew I wanted something here in the UK. Arguments insued which led to them bullying my mum. I then got a message from one bridesmaid in a group chat we made, she messaged me stating she felt I was selfish, rude and disappointing for how the planning was going for my wedding. She personally attacked me totally out of the blue! I had recently got a new job, moved into my first house with my fiancé and she stated planning my henny was too stressful and she wors two jobs and has a life of her own. Now im not a person to rub anything in anyones face and she knew I respected and loved her. I messaged saying I didn't want my two best friends to be my bridesmaids cus it was hurting me so much that they couldn't do something for me to make me happy. They messaged me back saying they were saying to eachother that they would have dropped out any ways!!! we don't talk anymore.. What do you think?

My other bridesmaid is trying to contact me saying she's a friend and she's there for me but a friend wouldn't treat a friend like that!! Especially on the biggest happiest day of my life!

I'm so confused right now, not talking to either and unsure of what to do in the future. Some advice would be great thanks.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

The no gift bit I get but the card?! It’s just a bit of paper! I never keep any kind of card I’m given and they usually end up getting used to take phone message on or in the recycle bin. I personally think cards are a total waste of money and think its more important that someone is there for you.

• R
    RomanticBlueHair27115 ·
    • Hide content

Exactly thats what i thought

• E
    Beginner March 2021
    ExpensivePurpleStationery44652 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no !!

awful

• H
    HappyGoldStationery13847 ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps this is not entirely relevant advice! But still people need to be forgiven, especially relatives and friends. Probably they just relaxed and forgot that you need to please you on your day with something special. I am sure you are already doing well?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics