Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S

Wedding Cake Collapse

Sevan, 23 of August of 2017 at 17:29 Posted on Just Married 0 3

When a 4 tier wedding cake on pillars collapses 7 hours after the cake supplier set it up who is responsible. The venue, at our request added a flimsy foil topper 6 hours before the collapse. The bottom tier was sponge, the next fruit, the next sponge and the top was polystyrene. The cake had dowels running through the columns. Unknown to us the venue had queried the stability of the cake with the supplier before they left and the supplier confirmed it was stable. Neither party were aware we had a topper at this stage. The venue are saying the fruit cake was too heavy as a second tier and the columns weren't cut square when they looked at them later but I thought it was actually the rods which do the work. The supplier is saying it was the force used to place the topper in the polystyrene tier which caused the collapse even though this happened 6 hours later. Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this?

3 replies

Latest activity by MetalBride, 3 of November of 2017 at 10:26
  • F
    Beginner September 2017
    FutureMrsTuff2017 ·
    • Hide content

Surely this is down to the cake supplier? Was the whole thing totally ruined? If you have wedding insurance you could look into if this is covered. I am assuming neither the venue nor the supplier and taking responsibility.

• S
    Sevan ·
    • Hide content

They are both blaming each other. We didn't have wedding insurance unfortunately. The cake was badly damaged on the corners and had to be photographed without the pillars and only from a certain angle when the cake cutting photos were taken.

• E
    ExpensiveRedFlowers928 ·
    • Hide content

OMG, i would say the fault is with the cake company, how can a topper cause the problem as if the cake would not take any force what would have happened when it was cut - i would hate to think

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Fruit cake is very heavy and dense and should never be placed on top of a layer of much lighter and softer sponge, my sister makes cakes and will never put tiers that way round.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics