Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner July 2016

1 TOG or 2 TOGS?

HeavyMetalMaiden, 30 of June of 2014 at 09:49 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hello again!

Just wanted your advice/opinions fellow brides/grooms/TOGs...

A lot of TOGs offer an additional TOG for an extra fee, but 1 TOG is more suited to our budget. Obviously if I had a money tree I would hire two, but I was just wondering, is 1 enough? I am sure it is, but I don't know what we should go for. What did you go for? Did you feel one was enough, or looking back would you have preferred to hire two? Is two sort of, how shall I put it, an added luxury?

Our daytime wedding party is approx 64 people of that helps!! I'm just thinking that for at least an hour of the day (maybe 1 and a half/two overall) my h2b and I will be hogging the TOG to take some us photos , but then I am thinking that guests will be taking pics of each other anyway, so that may not be an issue??

Eeep please help, so I can start narrowing down some options and make a booking Smiley smile

Fankoo!

7 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 30 of June of 2014 at 13:54
  • M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

Your day guests are only about 10 more then ours and we're only having 1 TOG.

She's coming over to my house to do some prep shots and won't have time to go to mil's a 10 min walk away to do some shots with him, mil, usher, best man and step dad so I do wish I had 2 in that aspect but we simply don't have the money for 2!

Im living on a prayer that 1 tog is enough for our posses shots and the photo list I sent her she seemed to have no problem with for the time given and it was a rather long list!!

Im sure I only need 1 tog for the reception shots as Iv booked mine for 2 hours of coverage just capturing the moment nothing posed.

I think bits best to talk to any togs you have in mind and ask their opinion of what tey think they are able to do.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Having 1 good photographer is better than having 2 not so good ones- so it's all about the quality of the photographer(s) in the first place, rather than how many. If your budget is more suited towards having 1 photographer, personally i'd advise investing as much as you can in finding one good one rather than possibly getting 2 of lesser quality for the same sort of money.

It also depends what you're looking for in terms of coverage really as opposed to the number of guests you have. We shot a wedding last week where there were just 11 guests + B&G (we're a 2 person team) and quite often shoot weddings with guests around the 50-60 mark. Sit and consider your coverage must haves and you may find that what you actually want would only require one tog anyway.

• Rob Pack Photography
    Rob Pack Photography ·
    • Hide content

Generally one tog is fine. It all depends on what you want covered. Two togs are only really necessary when you want one person can't physically be in 2 places at one time - like bride and groom prep which are usually mutually exclusive. Of course having two togs is nice as it often gives another perspective during things like the ceremony and more coverage. The important thing is to think of what is important to you to have captured during the day and, as always, good communication with the tog (which it sounds like you have) When you run through the timings of the day the tog might have a few ideas as how best to get the photos and coverage you want, keep the day flowing and your guests happy! So although I use a 2nd shooter / assistant which is included in my basic price, I know loads of quality togs that don't - so shouldn't be an issue Smiley winking

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

The way I explain it to my couples are two togs are only needs in scenarios of:

1. a highly restrictive church where you're banned from moving around the sides or back- having two togs is a lifesaver then

2. if you have requested any form of complicated lighting set up shot

3. if you have over 150 guests and in particular want a higher volume of photos of your guests

4. if you want any events covered that are happening in different places at the same time i.e. groom prep and bridal prep

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

As everyone says, it's better to have one good photographer than two mediocre ones. You don't NEED two photographers but two does make life easier.

For example usually the bridal prep runs behind and the bride is often late getting in her dress. So sometimes we have to make a decision. Do I stay to finish off or do I go to the church and capture the guests arriving and the groom waiting? With two photographer's that's not a problem. One can go on ahead.

During the group photos a second photographer can capture some great candids whilst the main photographer is doing the posed group photos.

Like I said, it's a luxury, not a necessity.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Everything has already been said but one thing you should start to do is look at a photographers site who only shoots one photographer then look at another photographers site that shoots with two photographers, I think that is the easiest way to see if you want one photographer or two, you can also get a two photographer teams cheaper and better than one single photographer. Swings and roundabouts in the photography industry.? If any thing make sure you check out the photographers fully and if you need any advice then let us know and I'm sure we will be able to help.

Hopefully more couples will chime in that have already got married that had one or two photographers to give you a balanced view.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

1 is essential, 2 is a luxury.

Even with 10 togs you won't get everything covered and one really good photographer will always be better than two average ones. ?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Sometimes the bride is staying at the venue overnight and the groom is not staying but is also getting ready at the venue and in that case its very easy to "flit between the two. The bride getting ready shots for me are always more important than the groom getting ready as that's where the flowers are, shots of the dress - maybe the shoes, any shots of bride with bridesmaids, flowergirl, Mum and Dad, if that's where you are getting ready. Whereas usually its just the groom and best man where they are.

I will leave before the bridesmaids and still get to the church/venue for some shots of the groom and the lads, even if you are running late and if a message hasn't got out to the groom then I will be carrying that late message with me - letting the chaps know its safe - time wise to do some shots still.

I find that people arriving at the venue shots, most of the time they are looking at the ground when they walk, mingling outside then yes great, but I can get those shots after the ceremony too.

The only thing I cannot do is get a shot from the back of the church and from the front at the same time, but in-between hymns I should be able to change position for some different angled shots. I've shot weddings with 7 people and 200 people and have never had a second shooter or and assistant not even when I was using film and only 12 photos at a time before you had to change film and no zoom lens then either, so for me its even easier now with digital to shoot on my own as I can work fast and move fast yet still maintain a small footprint on the wedding.

Look at a photographers work and if you like it and it and the price is right for you and it turns out they have a second shooter then great, but its worth asking if they use the same second shooter all the time as the sample shots could be from the best of lots of different ones.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics