Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Dedicated October 2022 East London

10k wedding, is it possible in London

Ebony, 9 of August of 2022 at 00:12 Posted on Planning 0 2
My partner and I have decided to bring our wedding forward due to family illness.
We've found a dry venue we love which costs 4k, no decorations needed. We're hiring essentially a small mansion with several rooms for dinner, bar, games room, chill out room and dance floor. I'm making our cake an array of deserts, we're having a self service bar with alcoholic and soft drinks brought from costco. We're not having wedding favours, I'm having one bridesmaid, my mum is making my dress, we wanted a dj but we're considering a playlist to save money.
We may need to stay in a hotel as the venue is a little far from where we live. I'm also doing my own hair and make up. All this for 40 ceremony guests and an additional 30 evening guests. Any suggestions where I can make additional savings? Did anyone miss not having a dj? This has all become so overwhelming.

2 replies

Latest activity by Watergirl, 9 of August of 2022 at 13:21
  • W
    East London
    Watergirl ·
    • Hide content

It sounds lovely!

We spent 5K on our 30 guest wedding (not in London) but there are so many ways to make savings. With your venue sorted, and your dress and cake, you're more than able to achieve your 10K target!

We did our own flowers, aside from my bouquet + the one for the bridesmaid. We both love flowers so bought an arch off gumtree / ebay with some floral foam and plant food and the day before, raided the Aldis and Lidls and Asdas for 100 cheap bouquets, put it all together. It was so much fun.

Our families are not into dancing so we had musical guests play for both the ceremony and evening (only 1 piece each to avoid being too much of a burden on them) but it was really special. We were lucky to have a number of accomplished musicians amongst our guests.

We made all the invites, day of stationery and thank you notes ourselves using a mixture of DIY/crafts and designing/printing from mainstream print services.

We ordered a lot of items off ebay and etsy and also found some really special items that represented us and our origins. We did this especially with food items / drinks.

We found that buying chair covers and sashes off amazon was cheaper than renting. We set them all up in the 2 days prior to the wedding.

We used things that had a double purpose, such as table decorations/food items/ utensils doubling up as favours for the guests, and repurposing some of our flower decorations from the ceremony for the evening reception.

It sounds to me like some of he savings you're already making may not even be necessary. Do get yourself a photographer you like if you can, even if not for the full day. My one regret is not splashing out the 400 pounds for nice transport from the hotel to the ceremony venue.

• W
    East London
    Watergirl ·
    • Hide content

PS: I wanted to add that you may want to look into hiring a chef to do your main if your venue is self-catering. It's probably cheaper than a caterer.

We provided picnic baskets for our guests (it was covid times) and a warm dish, so I think it should be possible for you to do the evening guest catering ahead of time if you can get a couple of people to help you make the platters.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics