Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E

11am wedding timings help!

ExpensiveRedDiamonds58, 18 of April of 2014 at 23:26 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi,

Just trying to sort out timings etc for the day.

Service starts at 11am (super early - groom's choice!) and we are getting married in a lovely, grand tudor mansion so having our photos taken there then providing a coach to take guests to the reception venue - which is about 3 miles away.

If by the time I actually get there, service, register and receiving line is done roughly for 12, how long would you spend on photos? We have booked the coach for 1.30 but this can be changed if need be. Do you think that is enough to get group shots and couple shots? (we are providing champagne in the gardens for our guests so they won't be standing around idly).

We will allow half an hour to get to venue taking us to 2pm.

This is where it gets a bit lost.

We are having champagne toast on arrival.

What time would you start the wedding breakfast? How long does it take including speeches?

Is it ok for evening to start at 7? it will finish between 11-12.

We were thinking of getting an acoustic band to entertain guests in the gap between the breakfast and start of evening entertainment, is it worth it?

sorry, lots of questions but I'm starting to worry that guests will be bored at points in the day - nightmare!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

4 replies

Latest activity by Helenia, 19 of April of 2014 at 13:32
  • Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

That is a very early start. Not necessarily a problem, but needs factoring into your considerations for the day.

Do you definitely want all your photos at the ceremony venue? If so, is there somewhere for guests to sit down as well as milling around? Is there somewhere to go if it is raining? Are there toilets? If those things are covered, then I think 1.5-2 hours is plenty, then coach to the reception venue. If not, then I might consider moving to the reception venue earlier so people are more comfortable, and doing some of the photos there.

If you are providing champagne during the photos, I'm not sure another round of champagne on arrival at the reception is necessary - people will be getting hungry by that point! You need to allow a bit of time for people to faff about, go to the loo, check into rooms(?) etc but I'd get on with the wedding breakfast fairly soon after arrival, maybe 2 or 2.30. Depending on the exact type of meal and number of guests, a 3-course sit-down meal will usually take 2-2.5 hours, and I'd allow 30-45 minutes for speeches, depending on how many you're having and how verbose your speakers are!

After dinner, you can have a bit of a chilled-out section, go around and chat to people, they can go and freshen up etc. An acoustic band isn't a bad idea, or you could have some outdoor games, but I don't think it's essential to have anything at that point.

Hope that helps!

• E
    ExpensiveRedDiamonds58 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much for the reply.

The house where the service is is a national trust museum (hence the early start -before it opens) so guests will also be able to look in other parts of the house if they so wish! If it rains, they have a different room for the photographs too.

The venue for the reception isn't abything too special tbh so photos there would just be indoors. What would you suggest for outdoor games?! It is actually a cricket club so they have plenty of lawns etc. Maybe even a cricket match!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds lovely! Make sure people know what time the coach is leaving though, otherwise you'll be doing a frantic round-up at the last minute trying to find people who've wandered off exploring.

Outdoor games - anything really, depends what sort of thing your friends/family would be into. Cricket is one idea, or maybe rounders as it's a bit more fast-paced? You can hire things like croquet sets, giant Jenga etc at various places.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics