Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Zoe
Curious February 2023 Derbyshire

14 days to go…….

Zoe, 1 of February of 2023 at 21:54 Posted on Planning 0 8
And my H2Bs best man has just told me hes flying H2Bs brother over as a surprise for the wedding….from Australia to UK!!
Sounds like a great surprise right? …NO!!
The seating plan is done already … we announced the wedding 8 months ago, why now!!I’ve had to pay for another day person, and it’s a squeeze…Extra button hole.H2b was clear when we started planning he wasn’t fussed about the brother coming over (various family reasons!)We were asked what we’d like as a gift and we asked for “honeymoon donations” (but someone else is getting a holiday!!!)We’ve worked hard and planned and paid for the whole thing… with zero help! Now I feel like all the focus will be on the brother being here, not my H2b on his special day!!! I have to keep this secret for 14 days…. And when H2b finds out I’m sure he’s gonna say if I’d told him he would have said not to bother!I know the answer is “it’s done now, make the most of it” but I’m soo annoyed…. Its Really ruined the build up…… rant over!! X

8 replies

Latest activity by Melissa, 5 of February of 2023 at 18:54
  • Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content

Aw this is a tough one, I feel for you! Is the surprise going to be for everyone or just your H2B? If it's just for your H2B then I would say it probably won't take over the whole day but if it's a surprise for the rest of the family as well then it might end up that way Smiley amazing I think it's a very shitty thing to do 2 weeks before, he could have given you prior warning to sort everything out or to say you don't want him there x

• K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

Personally, in this situation I would tell my future husband. If its potentially going to cause problems on the day, I think its right he should know and it shouldn't be sprung on him on your special day. To be honest I feel the best man has stepped over the line here. If your H2B wasn't bothered about his brother coming due to family issues, I don't see why the best man feels its in his right to do something like this. Also I think you need support in handling this and that if you don't tell your H2B you may stew over it on the entire build up to the wedding day.

Obviously I don't know the entire situation. But from what you have written this is just my opinion on how I would handle it. I hope you will be okay Smiley smile

• S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Kirsty - I would tell your H2B. Do it when you can say it calmly and without injecting your frustration into it otherwise he’ll be guided by your apprehension, but then once you know his true feelings about it you can have his support for dealing with it.

The risk of not planning to tell him is that you’ll be so stressed about it that you might accidentally blurt it out upsetly at some point.

I can see that the best man has probably tried to do something from a kind place, but it sounds like he has no idea of the practical and financial implications for you guys.

• Zoe
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks… it is a tough one, only me and the BM know in advance . Yeah lots of ways it could have been handled differently….. 😕x
  • Zoe
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Stepped over the line is exactly right!! I wondered if I was overreacting, but I don’t think I am now.
    I’m not a high maintenance person, BUT, wanted 1 day that was just for us….. and now it doesn’t feel that way!
    Thank you , your comment really gave me thought…… I am considering talking to H2b… it’s his stag tomorrow though so will wait until after…. It might even come out then 👍🏻x
  • Zoe
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Spot on, thank you! You’re right, he has come from good intentions, but deciding what someone wants/doesn’t want for them on their wedding day is not the one!
    It’s honestly all I can think about now!
    We’d have been happy with a toaster/set of towels as a gift! 😂Thank you though, comment has made me think about next steps x
  • K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think your feelings are completely justified. I would feel the same.
    Yeah I would talk to him about it after his stag. I hope everything works out okay and you have a lovely wedding x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I can understand why this has thrown you out a bit, but I think you may be worrying needlessly. Unless there has been some kind of family falling-out or your OHs brother is the kind who always demands to be the centre of attention, I don't think it will detract attention from your day at all. Presumably, he's not just flying in for the wedding and straight back out again, so there will time for other family members to catch up with him after the wedding.

I would try to look on it as having come from a good place - your best man probably thinks he is doing something amazingly kind by 'surprising' the groom in this way and obviously hasn't thought through the implications of his surprise. I do agree that I would consider telling your OH before the wedding though, as he may need time to adjust to the idea before the actual ceremony.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics