Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner June 2012

18ct and 9ct white gold - any jewellers on here?

pink_tink, 16 October, 2011 at 14:22 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi,

Can anyone who knows advise me on if I can wear a 9ct white gold wedding ring with a 18ct white gold engagement ring?

We have heard that the 9ct one will wear away the softer 18ct one, yet we have also heard that this is untrue...

We just want to know either way which is true!

Many thanks for your help.

3 replies

Latest activity by judeclarke, 16 October, 2011 at 16:06
  • overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I also heard that but not sure if it's true. Anything on Google?

• F
    Beginner July 2012
    FutureMrsLawrence ·
    • Hide content

Hi, it is true that the two will rub together and that the 9ct will wear on the 18 because the 18 is a purer and therefore softer metal. However, I manage a Jewellers and I can tell you first hand that the wear that we talk about is over quite a long period of time. So you may notice in 20, 30 maybe even 40 years time the shank on the 18ct gold ring is noticibly thinner.

Hope this helps!

• P
    Beginner June 2012
    pink_tink ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your help! I still don`t know if I should save myself £300 or just splurge and get the 18ct one! Dilemmas!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Jewellers want you to spend more money - of course they will tell you that if you have a 18ct ER you NEED a 18ct WR!

There is no real reason with white gold to have them the same becasue they will need re-plating after a couple of years anyway - sooner if you have an active job. While it's true that 18ct is softer than 9ct you will not notice any difference in wear until you get to 20 years - but by then you will have had the rings re-plated 8 times or more anyway.

Go for 9ct and save yourself the cash.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics