Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2011

1st Dress Trying on & Review of Manchester Bridal Shops - BEST / WORST!

blueeyedgirl, 25 January, 2010 at 09:56 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi Ladies

Went to my first bridal shop on Saturday - first try on of dresses ever. Went to Nancy Jane bridal on Stretford on the Saturday and she was FANTASTIC. Super-warm welcome and really knowledgable about styles with a big range of dresses – style and budget wise. We had the shop to ourselves and despite it only being open 2 weeks (moved to bigger premises) she had a lovely changing room and big mirror with a cute little velvet box to stand on. She helped me in and out the dresses and lace them up, even if they didnt fit she helped me get a good idea of what the seamstress could do - was so helpful – cannot recommend highly enough! The experience was really nice and enjoyable, very relaxed and informal.

I tried on about 6 and hadn’t found anything but she picked out this Romantica dress with sweetheart neckline and it looked a dream and not too bad price wise at £630. Wouldn’t have given it a second look on the hanger – just goes to show u have to try them on. Also I was sure I didn’t want a veil but after putting one on – I loved it! Still not liking strapless to much as have big arms but hoping they can make me a little jacket or something.

On Sunday my experience couldn’t be different at Stellas Wedding Dresses in Didsbury. Arrived to find the other bride still there, fair enough, so offered to come back in a bit (it’s a small shop) but she said its ok so had to sit there awkwardly in this tiny shop while the bride gave us evils – I wouldn’t want other people eyeing my up trying on dresses! After she’s finished and her family had eaten their sandwiches – nice – I was ignored and had to ask – ‘shall I pick out some dresses or…?’ To a bit of a grunt and a ‘we might not have much in your size’. Seriously a woman with a more sensitive nature might have cried! I’m curvy yea but only a size 16 for christs’ sake!! I even asked if there was any point me trying any on if none would fit to a ‘you might as well’. So not to waste our day I picked out 3 – could hardly see them in their cellophane wrappers and went into a changing room where she just left me to try them on. These are big dresses and its hard to get them on yourself so I had to ask for help and she even grazed my arm once with her watch as she was chatting on the phone while putting my dress on! Literally could not get out there fast enough! Apparently she had been doing it 40 years – the lady needs to go on a customer service course! And these dresses aren’t cheap its not like ur getting what u pay for. She also had some scruffy sullen teen assistant who seemed to do nothing and just sit and stare!

Awful experience all round, left feeling like I wanted to cry and needed to majorly diet! AVOID THIS SHOP LIKE A PLAGUE. If this had been my first dress shopping experience I might have actually have cancelled the wedding. Awful, awful, awful! My mum was so angry too.

Anyhoo onward and upward! Next shopping weekend is in June – only want to shop with my mum and she lives in Hertfordshire and we are busy bees. Lucky we have until September 2011!

S xx

17 replies

Latest activity by nicolagrimshawmitchell, 9 March, 2012 at 19:31
  • *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

Hi Snurton,

Nice to hear some reviews, I am a Manchester bride, so the advice is helpful.

I remember going around the shops with my sis and there being some rude shop keepers.

There is a fab shop in Eccles if you have time to venture down there, can't remember what it's called tho but it is well known.

Good luck with your shopping, I'm an Aug 2011 bride and haven't even started anything.

xxx

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

Lol it helped me to have a rant!

Is that the Confetti Box in Eccles?

Where ru getting married? Its ages away - dont worry its just I like to start early (bit sad and organised) and also I only want to shop with my mum and she cant come up that often.

Sarah

• Yikes
    Beginner September 2013
    Yikes ·
    • Hide content

I got my wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses from Nancy Jane Bridal. She is lovely and really helpful. She had a stall at the Wedding show at the Trafford Centre last year.

Whenever you ring her up over anything she's great. She always seems to remeber her brides.

I'm in manchester if can help with anything.

Yikes.

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks - any other w/dress shops u can recommend?x

• Yikes
    Beginner September 2013
    Yikes ·
    • Hide content

I've never named and shamed on here before but I've heard bad reviews about Confetti box.

I've also read some bad reviews of Celebration village. Whilst I was in this shop looking a girl came in to pick up her bridesmaid dress and it was the complete wrong size! The BM was adament she haden't put on weight and they measured her and she hadn't.

Snurton 123, when I was looking I went to loads of shops. Did a few in one day just turned up and saw how they were with me then booked appointments if the staff were any good. Or had dresses I liked.

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    mrslowndes2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi Snurton123 and everyone!!

Im so sorry to hear you had a bad experience!! I live in Stoke so not a million miles away but I went to a bridal shop in Worcester as thats where Im getting married and the woman was HORRID!!! She was just mean, Im not huge either but she was just horrid and rude. So much so me and my step mom just walked out!!! I really dont understand why they are so horrid in some places like you said your not exactly buying a can of coke - your buying your wedding dress!! RRRR sorry to jump on your thread then but it makes me angry!!!! ?

And thanks for the tip I think I will go upto the first shop you mentioned to have a look around

Thanks

Claire

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Not in the area, but please buy your dress in a shop with nice people. I know some shops stock the same dresses at different prices, but for the sake of £100 i'd rather have the most important dress of my life in the hands of someone i trust.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if you fancy a day out across the Pennines into Yorkshire but I can recommend www.limelightoccasions.co.uk in Lepton at Huddersfield. Not a million miles away and only roughly 1hr up the M62.

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

Yes even if they had my dress I wouldnt want to give them the money, it would only justify them being rude- RAGE!

Ive heard bad things about Celebration Village too - that they have one style of dress and try to force it on everyone.

At this rate i'm running out of shops to try!!

How to people run a businesses like that?!

• S
    Beginner April 2011
    Steph/Andy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi I've only been to one bridal shop and tryed a few dresses on and that was at Cheshire Bridal Wear in Altrincham, Julie the owner is just lovely very welcoming. I found a Romantica dress that i absolutely loved "Atalaya". I didn't buy it because i don't get married until April 2011 and wanted to shop around first. I've now got a second appointment this Saturday to try on the 2010 Romantica collection which im very excited about. I've got my eyes on "Imogen". What was the name of the Romantica dress you tried on?

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

I've got that one of my list - I will have to check it out.

Not sure of the name, she would only give me the shop code which is a pain! Did look on their website to try and identify it but they all look the same to me - ivory, ivory, strapless, strapless etc! .....:-?

• N
    Beginner September 2013
    Nikinaki1 ·
    • Hide content

• Y
    Beginner April 2012
    YeahYeahYeah ·
    • Hide content

A big ? to Confetti Box from me too. I would be here all day saying why!!!

I got mine from a real budget shop which I only went in as i was passing and had an hour to kill. The staff were lovely, soooooo helpful, nothing was too much bother and the prices were fab! To think I was willing to part with the best part of 2K in Confetti Box and my experience in a shop which sells £100 dresses was a million times better!

• Y
    Beginner April 2012
    YeahYeahYeah ·
    • Hide content

A big ? to Confetti Box from me too. I would be here all day saying why!!!

I got mine from a real budget shop which I only went in as i was passing and had an hour to kill. The staff were lovely, soooooo helpful, nothing was too much bother and the prices were fab! To think I was willing to part with the best part of 2K in Confetti Box and my experience in a shop which sells £100 dresses was a million times better!

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

A great shop where i have got my gown from is Celebration Village right in the centre of Manchester - near the MEN arena.

Ok so from the front it looks like a warehouse unit, and they have some big fat gypsey wedding dresses there, but the staff are all so friendly and helpful! And they have hundreds of dresses! Give them a call Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner August 2012
    shoosh ·
    • Hide content

Cheshire Bridal Wear Altrincham is fantastic .... ? Julie is amazing and is very welcoming x

• nicolagrimshawmitchell
    nicolagrimshawmitchell ·
    • Hide content

Oh poor you! I hear such awful reviews of dress shops, not one or two but LOADS, it seems like such an easy thing to get right to me? Happy, friendly enthusiastic staff? Whats hard about that? Surely they know that a bride leaving in tears could mean really bad reviews? Its like they don't even care! Its not just isolated to dress shops either - i'm shocked sometimes at the rudeness of companies/suppliers/shops to potential bridal business, in this day and age surely it pays to be nice? and if you're brought up in a decent way it should come naturally!!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics