Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Little Madam
Beginner

1st post about my Millitary wedding

Little Madam, 21 of June of 2010 at 18:46 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hey everyone,

I am new on here but have had a good look at some of the posts which I have found very helpful so here goes....

....Is anyone else marrying a serving soldier? My other half has decided that he would like to get married in his Number 1's - a formal uniform coloured Dark Navy with Red down the sides of his trousers, white chunky belt and white gloves. But becasue of the harsh colours in his outfit I am finding it very difficult to decide on my colour scheme - I am edging towards a Red and baby blue theme but I am not at all sure that the colours will go together well! I could potetnailly have a Navy / Baby blue theme? Any suggestions would be much appreciated - especially if you are in the same boat and can share tips.

I also have a very complicated issue with my parents who are seperated, but I will save that for a much longer post!

Thanks

From K

13 replies

Latest activity by Gen28, 23 of June of 2010 at 15:39
  • Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

Hello & welcome to Hitched! I'm not a military bride but I am having a navy blue theme (Spurs blue as the other half picked it ?). He is wearing brown shoes / brown tie so we also have bits of brown creeping in. And I'm having purple flowers so there is purple too. Plus the invite we chose had a bit of the wording in pink!

I think red & baby blue is a gorgeous combination and would be fine with your OH's navy blue suit as a base colour. Although just baby blue would work too, you are always going to have the red in his suit & would be nice to pick that up as a bit of an accent colour.

Where / when are you getting married? Does the venue / time of year lend itself well to a colour combo?

My parents are divorced & will see each other for first time in 10 years on my wedding day - eeeek.

• Emmsie270
    Beginner June 2011
    Emmsie270 ·
    • Hide content

Hey!

I'm also a fellow military bride to be. OH will also be wearing no. 1's his are black with just a red stripe down the trouser, white gloves etc... but like you i'm having the same sort of thoughts. At the mo i'm steering towards bolder colours as think anything too pale will look a bit wishy washy against his uniform, but that could all change. All military weddings i've seen the brides have gone with red but i'm not realy keen on red for a summer wedding!

Let me know how you get on! xx

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Some military uniforms have peaked caps where the peak is angled very sharply down over the eyes. This is OK for a couple of shots although the cap is best removed for the majority of the time to see the face of the groom.

Happy planning

Peter

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Navy ivory and silver were my colours for my summer wedding.....

how about creams and golds for your military one?

• alexxinness
    Beginner September 2008
    alexxinness ·
    • Hide content

Why not have a white theme with splashes of navy and red??

xx

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Hi

im not in the same boat as you but my Sister in law was 12 years ago when she married my brother! she completelly took on board the colours of his (and the majority of the guests!) outfits. her flowers were red roses, her adult bridesmaids had a navy blue strapless pencil dress with red piping, the children bridesmaids (one of which was me!) had tule skirts and cropped, military style jackets which were also navey blue with red piping.

i think it all depends on if you want to tak on board his military colours or if you have your own individual colours in mind. i guess the flowers and bridesmaids will out number him any way so even a completelly contrasting coulour might work!

i have to say that the photos of the ushers in their uniforms were great and the ones of them walking under he guard of honour!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

The colours would match perfectly & summer always reminds me of a nautical, Navy Red & White theme:

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your comments - I am already starting to feel a lot calmer about the who think.

I feel a lot better about the colour scheme - Sherrie your photos of the Nautical wedding are very beautiful - you must be very proud!

I do really love red, and it is a colour which suits my complexion too, so I might try and maximise the use of my other halfs colours - I find it so difficult to know which colours match - I'm a numbers kind of woman, not a desgin one - luckily I have some artistic ideas coming through from my friends.

I also love the idea of little millitary jackets - we are only having young bridesmaids as I have a set of 5 very close friends, 2 sisters and a cousin who I couldn't choose between - they are all very dear to me for one reason or another. So I am having mine and my OHs neice's - who will both be 4 at the time of the wedding, plus potentially OHs nephew as pageboy (he will only be 2 and half so may be a bit young).

I am also glad to hear other people worry about the Divored parents issue - I hope all goes well for you on the day! Mine is a little bit crazy.. My dad ran off with my Mom's Brothers wife - which makes it all very complicated - often when I tell the story at work people fail to believe what I am saying! It is more complicated becasue my (ex) Auntie and Uncle had kids together - who then became my live in step-siblings, but who were also blood related to my mom - cue years of "back and forth" arguments.

Originally my Mom had refused to attend if my dad came but after some very harsh words from my brother she has backed down and now only has an issue with my step mom attending. I have made it clear to my mom that she won't be calling the shots and have continued to plan the wedding ignoring the issue. It's so far in the future at the moment that I can't spend my life stressing about it.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Aw dear - I never even thought about the photography impact! I have seen some gorgeous pictures of a couple and the woman had pinched the hat - very tongue in cheek but I loved it!

I am edging towards Navy suits at the moment, but now that you have mentioned grey I might have a look (my colour co-ordination skills are so lacking!)

• Gen28
    Beginner August 2010
    Gen28 ·
    • Hide content

Helloooo am a forces bride to be to.

I haven't tried to match my H2B uniform it would be to hard i think to find an exact match. i wanted him to feel specail as well as me. i didnt want red as most people go for that. 2/3 ushers are in there no 2 uniform (green) while his best man and another usher are in suits same as my dad.

my colour scheme is hot pink, ivory, pearly and silver. when someone said red to me all i could think was OMG it will clash with my hair lol (am ginger)

xx

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Gen28 - I like the idea, but my seccond choice colour scheme would be either peach and black or a choice of pastel pinks, reds, purples and blues and I really have a thing about certain colours being together and I think the peaches in both other schemes would clash too much.

I see what you mean about the red and the hair too!

My other half's best man and usher are both in the army and his uncle is too, but he really doesnt want anyone else wearing uniform. He says he doesnt want to be outshone! lol. I think it might have something to do with his uncle who is now 38 and nearing retirement so has lots of medals and stripes but my other half only had one medal and 2 stripes - I don't want to damage his ego - bless!

• Gen28
    Beginner August 2010
    Gen28 ·
    • Hide content

I also liked the idea of having plantium silver and a shimmery bluey/silver kind of colour. i like the sound of the pastel pinks and purples i think that would look lovely especially if its a summer wedding.

My h2b is ok with the others where there uniform cos its different colour his only point was could the lads get changed for evening (after evening guests have arrived) becuase he knows how horrible the uniforms can be to wear lol. I also dropped on ok with the amount of medals they all got cos they all pretty much done same tours lol

xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics