Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner September 2014

2 weeks to go and wedding dress stress

AH71, 10 of September of 2014 at 11:45 Posted on Planning 0 11

I'm getting married on 27/09/14. I took my Monsoon dress to a supposedly bridal seamstress about 2 weeks ago, due to it being big around the shoulders and hips but the zip did up with no problem. I paid up front to have the hips taken in and shoulders shortened so it wouldn't gape. Last Wednesday I went to collect it and to find whilst it now fits on the hips, the zip would only do up half way despite the fact the zip had only been realigned a the bottom. After returning on Friday to meet the seamstress she told me "I don't know what's happened." She did manage to do it up but I found it was still gaping on the arm holes which meant my bra straps are still on show. I left the dress with her so she would let the zip out at the top so at least it will definitely do up on the day but I have a feeling the armholes are still going to gape regardless. Due to being a naturally blessed at a 32HH I am unfortunately am not able to get a strapless bra to fit me even at Rigby and Peller. I am somewhat at a loss what to do, as I don't feel confident in the seamstress abilities, and I feel tomorrow when it is ready, I will have to take it away regardless of how it fits and find another seamstress.

If anyone can recommend a bridal seamstress in West London or Middlesex area I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have bought some Eyelure dress tape to try as a last resort on the day to try, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies

Latest activity by AH71, 15 of September of 2014 at 07:33
  • jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a seamstres,, but did she pin the dress to the correct fitting when you first went?

• A
    Beginner September 2014
    AH71 ·
    • Hide content

It seemed she did, I was wearing it at the time when she pinned it.

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Try Bravisimo they do several strapless bras in your size

http://www.bravissimo.com/products/lingerie/strapless-bras/

• A
    Beginner September 2014
    AH71 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Charlinc. I visited one of their shops earlier this year, but their bras are too small on the cups for me and the corsets are no good either. In the end I managed to find a pretty balconette bra from Figleaves which is perfect.

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Oh thats great news! Really hope your dress is fixed how you want it too x

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Was the fitting you went to last time meant to be the final fitting so tp speak? Maybe she wanted to get the first part right before she moved onto the arms? If you have paid her for the service of altering your dress make sure she does it the way you want it doing. Fingers crossed when you go again tomorrow it'll be all sorted though. Let us know how you get on.

• A
    Beginner September 2014
    AH71 ·
    • Hide content

Update.

Firstly thank you for your advice. I collected my dress yesterday it is still not perfect in the fact it's gaping on one side at the armholes, but at least it does up again. Don't know if it's worth taking it to another seamstress for a second opinion or just making do and hoping the dress tape will do the job.

• A
    Beginner September 2014
    AH71 ·
    • Hide content

Update.

Firstly thank you for your advice. I collected my dress yesterday it is still not perfect in the fact it's gaping on one side at the armholes, but at least it does up again. Don't know if it's worth taking it to another seamstress for a second opinion or just making do and hoping the dress tape will do the job.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I'd take it round to another seamstress and see what she says. She may be able to do something about the arms.

Have you tried what it looks like with the tape? I've never heard of the tape. Is this something that you think will last all day?

Hope you get it sorted. If you ring around some bridal shops they may be able to recommend someone...

• E
    Beginner August 2014
    Echo SW ·
    • Hide content

Hi AH71,

Sorry to hear about your dress woes so far. I can recommend the bridal shop I visited for my alterations (didn't buy my dress there), it's called the Bridal Gallery in South Ealing. The owner is really lovely and they made some detailed alterations to my dress perfectly, as well as doing my mum's dress. They seemed to really know my stuff and have some great reviews on Google, which is how I found them.

I hope you get it sorted!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Possibly not an option but I some times fasten the bra straps to the dress straps on the inside with a tint safety pin so they don't move out of place.

• A
    Beginner September 2014
    AH71 ·
    • Hide content

Just a quick update, the dress is with another seamstress who will shorten the straps yet again and which should resolve the gaping. If not it will a combination of body tape and safety pins on the day. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics