Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ClaireD*
Beginner May 2014

2 weeks to go, guest RSVP nightmare !

ClaireD*, 4 of May of 2014 at 19:10 Posted on Planning 0 9

?

I could really frickin scream right now.

A handful of the OH's guests only committed to coming to our wedding this week. All men of course, thinking it's ok to say "yes I'll be there" two months ago, and then mention "oh, I'm not sure any more, let me get back to you" as soon as the date was approaching. Believe me, I would have been happy to just delete them off the guest list, but OH wouldn't let me.

So, the attendance list was FINALLY confirmed yesterday, meaning that we edited the table plan for printing last night, and got our table seating arrangements done on the Hitched website, using their planning tool. Which made me want to kill myself, BTW, since the table planner doesn't function properly on chrome or explorer, meaning I ended up spending far too long on it before giving in and downloading firefox, just for functionality purposes.

Anyway, I deviate.

So, all finished last night. Finally.

OH just received a message that a couple he knows are no longer coming. Back to the frickin drawing board. We are upgrading an 'evening invitation' couple to fill the spaces, but they can't be slot into the same seats on the table plan (different side of the family), so I'm sitting here having to re-jiggle the entire seating plan.

ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

All I can say is to those of you getting angsty about RSVP deadlines and table planning. Just wait until people start changing their RSVPs at the last minute, and then try to stop yourself throwing your table plan out the nearest window.

FFS. Wine, I need you. ?

9 replies

Latest activity by ClaireD*, 5 of May of 2014 at 13:27
  • SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

People are so inconsiderate. I suppose if they've not married, or haven't been involved in the planning of a wedding, that's why they might not understand the concept of a RSVP date, but still!!!

Wine, lots of wine...

• N
    Beginner June 2014
    nemi ·
    • Hide content

Eugh! How rude! I really feel for you!

Just take some deep breaths and have a glass of wine.

Remember everything will work out on the day!

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

LOLing now, seeing those little cocktail glasses.

It's just so infuriating, and yes I think it is people who have never planned a wedding, and perhaps have never had anyone close to them do so.

I think from now on any drop-outs may result in us just offering a Plus 1 to anyone on the same table, as I can't be ars'd trying to rejig the whole table plan again. It's a nightmare.

• Suzie88
    Beginner August 2014
    Suzie88 ·
    • Hide content

^^^ This. But drink the wine first, they can have the empties. ?

Some people are really inconsiderate. Unless they have a really good excuse (and ideally, a massive wedding/apology present) I would probably not be talking to them for a long time.

I hope you get your table dilemma sorted without too much hassle!

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Ugh :-( At my first wedding we had a guest pull out the night before as she'd realised 'she'd forgotten to request time off so couldn't come'. Like really?!?!?!

At a friends wedding one of her relatives kids was ill (nothing majorly serious) so the family (mum, dad and sibling) didn't go. But because they we're travelling with dad's brother his family (mum dad and 2 kids) also didn't come. However they made the decision on the morning but only sent word with a guest meaning no one knew that 8 of them weren't there until after the ceremony when two tables looked VERY VERY empty!!

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL, yes, I agree with both of you - the empty wine bottle may well have been lobbed, had they lived locally to me!

Oh, and I can confirm that there was really no reason for them dropping out. There was no sudden sickness or anything. It was clearly a couple who should never have been on the guest list in the first place, but at least they got round to telling us they weren't coming before the wedding day I guess. I was very selective about who I put on the guest list - people who I considered friends and close family, who I thought would want to be there with us too. I think OH was less selective, getting a bit carried away putting everyone he knows on the guest list.

I have now finished the new table plan and submitted it for printing. Whilst this is a good thing, I feel incredibly tense about it now, wondering if anyone else will drop out. I will OF COURSE be understanding about someone needing to drop out for a proper illness / injury / or a sick child, but I have a horrible feeling that some other people may just drop out because they never wanted to come in the first place.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She realised that the night before, eh? Totally believable, that one....

Even worse for your friend though. Wow - 8 people just not turning up on the day. That's just awful.... unless you were having a wedding for 300, then you might not notice it, LOL. I think if my child was sick, I'd leave the OH at home with him and go to the wedding alone, as long as I at least knew one other person there, just because I'd hate to let the bride and groom down!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics