Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner May 2011

2011 Scottish brides-to-be!

kaz9274, 29 of July of 2009 at 10:28 Posted on Planning 0 30

Hi Ladies I thought it would be goog to have a post for us who are wedding planning in Scotland for 2011, give advice on supplier and companies we are using as I am finding it such a pain deciding which company for photos, music, entertainment, flowers......well EVERYTHING really!

I know its early but we got to think ahead and its best to go with recommendation so if you have any please post, we can all help each other.

I am getting married at Melville Castle in Edinburgh 14th May 2011, booked my cake (www.cakesbyjacqueline.co.uk) thats about it. x

Happy planning x Smiley smile

30 replies

Latest activity by budgetbabe, 22 of April of 2010 at 12:57
  • L
    Beginner March 2010
    Lou0408 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kaz

I am a scottish bride 2010 but thought i would say Hi. Getting Married in Mexico but having a reception in St Andrews when i get back. I am probably the most unorganised person ever and havent organised Very much yet. Lookng to get my dress ordered in the next week or so. Have books a band called the Thirsties and booked a photographer. The plan for this weekend was to find a cake so i am going to have a wee look now.

Oh bid for some fantastic Benjamin Adams Bridal shoes on Ebay yesterday too so keeping my fingers crossed for that.

L

• K
    Beginner May 2011
    kaz9274 ·
    • Hide content

Oh sounds fab, we are going to our 1st wedding show in September so hopefully we will get loads of ideas. how did you find your band? we want to go to a showcase but cant find any!! I'm so confusedx

• L
    Beginner March 2010
    Lou0408 ·
    • Hide content

It was actually another Scottish Hitcher on here who recommended them. I havent heard them yet but have been in touch and trying to arrange to go see them when all the musicians are playing together. I trust this particular Hitchers judgement though and know she wouldnt have a rubbish band at her wedding!!!

This is an Edinburgh based wedding band that i have heard of who are meant to be good. http://fullcircle-eventsband.com/testim.html

• LennonLuver
    Beginner September 2011
    LennonLuver ·
    • Hide content

Hi I am also a 2011 scottish bride to be! Hoping for September.

Haven't booked venue yet, we are still at the discussion stages, went to Glenskirlie Castle Hotel and absolutely fell in love with it but our numbers fall below the minimum required for a fri/sat wedding so that has put us off, we want a saturday as most family will be coming from far away and I feel it's not fair to ask them to take a day off work and lose money to attend our wedding, being a wedding guest these days is expensive enough!

Also like The Vu at Ballencrieff Resorvoir near Bathgate so we're thinking of going for a viewing there.

How did you all decide on your venues? We seem to be finding it difficult Smiley sad

• L
    Beginner March 2010
    Lou0408 ·
    • Hide content

I found the venue hunting to be really stressful and ours is only for an evening reception. We are looking at no of 150 to 180 so that was a bit of a deciding factor. We needed somewhere that could cater for these numbers. I fell in love with Orocco pier in South Queensferry and they kept telling me it could hold 160 but it was tiny. They only had seating for 100 and that was more realistic. When we viewed Rufflets it just ticked all the boxes. Large enough, beautiful grounds to get some pictures taken in Etc. Just think about what you want to get from your wedding but also what kind of atmosphere you want to create. Orocco pier was Funky and quirky and modern where as Rufflets is classic and tradition!

• K
    Beginner May 2011
    kaz9274 ·
    • Hide content

The vu looks stunning, I know someone who attended a wedding there and said it was beautiful, they have a honeymoon suite on an island (i think) or this is where you get married outside sound pefect!

I wanted a castle wedding which narrowed our search but it was difficult to find considering our small numbers 60 day 120+ night!

Glenbervie was stunning but fell below number plus every weekend march-september 2011 is already fully booked!! Melville castle is owned by the same company and it will be updated mimicing glenbervie inside before our wedding day...............

The other castle we liked was fernie castle in fife but Melville won us over!

Good luck happy searching

• K
    Beginner May 2011
    kaz9274 ·
    • Hide content

Anymore 2011 scottichbride-to-be???

• G
    Beginner July 2011
    gillianelle ·
    • Hide content

Hey getting married 2011 had a look at some venues really like gleddoch house at langbank, got website but would really need to go see it for full potential.

also liked gensirkie but same not enough numbers. still looking.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I was a May 09 bride so now an old married of 11 weeks.

I had Braw Wee Chanter for the entertainment as she did a combination of solo singing and dj'ing which was perfect for us. I'm not just saying this but she is AMAZING and my guests still talk about her 3 months on. She also sings in a band www.firstclassshowband.co.uk who are also fab.

Photographer was www.jbdavies.co.uk and you can view all my pics at www.jbdavies.co.uk/boyle.

Flowers - www.allisonsflowers.co.uk

I made my bm's and flowergirls stuff as I'm a hib and Flo and Percy made my tiara.

If I can help at all just give me a shout. x

• agentblackcat
    Beginner July 2011
    agentblackcat ·
    • Hide content

Hey - I am also getting married in 2011 on the 9th July. I think we are booking aberdour castle for the cermony.

• penguin1977
    Beginner
    penguin1977 ·
    • Hide content

? Another old married of November 2008 in Scotland here, Edinbugrh to be precise.

Here's a few recommendations for what its worth -

Piper - John Rae - www.thepickledpiper.co.uk - just BRILLIANT

Photographer - www.scottishweddingphotographs.co.uk

Flowers - Flowers by Carolyn in Leith - no website unfortunately but my local florist - just a star!!!!

Ceildlh and Disco - Graeme Barrie - www.graemebarrie.com

• ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content

If you're looking for venues in the West I've filmed weddings at a fair few ... I absolutely loved the Recital Rooms at the Old Fruitmarket in Glasgow's merchant city, also Gean House in Alloa is really pretty, Pollokshields Burgh Hall is lovely too and probably one of my favourites in the city itself ?

I've also worked with a lot of photographers who are lovely - Graham at GJ photography based in Clydebank is good www.weddingsglasgow.com - a bit of a cheeky chappie but his photos are great, also in Edinburgh Kate Brandwood is lovely to work with and her photos certainly looked nice on the day www.katebrandwoodphotography.weebly.com

?

• M
    Beginner September 2007
    MrsKitty ·
    • Hide content

I got married in Scotland way back in 2007 and had some fab suppliers, many of them were from the Edinburgh/central area.

If you are going to have a DVD I would just have to recommend Jon from Creative, he was absolutely amazing and our DVD is one of my most treasured possessions.

https://www.pindropweddingfilms.com/Wedding_Video_Edinburgh_and_Scotland.html

You can have a peek of our little highlights clip if you are bored, its on YouTube:

Jon also has loads more clips and examples on his website and on his blog.

Our Photographer was also amazingly talented. We used Captiv8 and John really knows his stuff. Even our guests loved watching him at work!

https://www.captiv8.uk.com/

Again, if you are super bored you can have a nose at some of our pix here.

Just say if you want any more details of any other suppliers. x

• K
    Beginner May 2011
    kaz9274 ·
    • Hide content

Mrs Kitty your wedding vidoe looks amazing! bet it was expensive.

I have been looking at Cameron Erroch photography and videography package its so cheap Hmmm...............anyone else used him? Will create another post on this

• LennonLuver
    Beginner September 2011
    LennonLuver ·
    • Hide content

Hey Kaz

Just had a look at the website, £990 for both is a fantastic price. Would be great to see if anyone has used him, will be watching to see!

x

• cherryfairychar
    Beginner September 2011
    cherryfairychar ·
    • Hide content

Hello all,

I'm another 2011 bride to be. My Fiance proposed to me on my 30th at the Rowan Tree in Edinburgh so I am toying with the idea of having my wedding at the Caves which is the bigger venue. https://www.booked.net/thecavesedinburgh.html So far I have been toying witthe idea of joining a cake decorating class as an evening class and doing my own cake. I want to keep budget down but still have a magical day. I'm trying to get inspiration for favours wanting something different. Have juggled the idea of lip balms and silver charms from ebay...but don't know.

Dress wise I have found my dream dress on ebay through one of the Chinese shops, I'd be interested to hear of anyone who has bought a dress this way and if there are any tips.

• woo-woo
    Beginner
    woo-woo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi there I'm a newbie too, joined today.

I have an appointment to view The Caves on saturday. Have you been to see it yet?

I have been having a nose about and I know that a member called Moya got her dress from a seller on ebay in China.

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

I'm an old married hag from Fife .... 18th Jan 2008. Seems like an age ago! Aberdour Castle - lovely venue idea!

Best dress shop in Fife - Aliya Rose in Cupar. http://www.aliyarose.co.uk/ Brilliant dresses, brilliant owners - who are also Diamond Star Halo and Star Struck Designs independently, so you get a good 3 for 1 deal there!

https://www.diamondstarhalo.co.uk/index.html did my mums fascinator (beeeeeautiful it was!) and http://www.starstruck-designs.co.uk/ did my FG's tiara at the last minute when my original designer fell off the face of the earth.

If you're wanting dresses made for your FGs/BMs Ann Hardie in Kirkcaldy is awesome, and reasonably priced.... she did my FG dress and has since done me a fabulous ballgown skirt which I just adore.... http://www.annhardiedesigns.co.uk/

Um, I got my cake from M&S ... <grins>

Ah, yes, DJ was Norval Barclay from www.barclaysbeats.co.uk - brilliant brilliant brilliant. based in Edi but will do other areas. He was my dream DJ in that I didn't give him a list of do's and don'ts, I totally trusted him to do his job as he saw fit and he played such a brilliant mix of unexpected songs - I danced continually for about 4hrs.... If my guests wanted to see me they had to come dance! The dancefloor was heaving. It was such a good night even the hotel staff didn't want to leave at the end of their (long and demanding!) shift and they hung around just to soak up the atmosphere!

We also had a magician called Steven Dick http://www.stevendick.co.uk/ - well known on the Scottish circuit. He's also a comedian so it was more than just 'magic' (although the magic was veeeery good). He was really good.

We had our bash at Dunnikier House Hotel - now their website is NOT very appealing in my humble opinion, but as a venue, its brilliant...

My flowers were done by a HIB - http://www.passionweddingflowers.co.uk/ (silk) - brilliant.

Cake topper was by http://www.westonsuper-models.co.uk/ - not a scottish based company but if you want a realistic' cake topper of you and your husband to be, can't beat Susans creations!

Mrs SP x

• M
    Beginner September 2007
    MrsKitty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Kaz, thank you very much, two years on and I still love looking at it!

When I was videographer hunting I literally ordered samples from every company in Scotland (no kidding) and not only did I think Jon at creative was one of the best, he was also competitively priced, so he is definitely worth checking out!

On the other hand, our photographer was more expensive than we originally budgeted for, but worth it!

I did also look at Cameron Erroch but I personally did not find them very helpful.We are actually from the East of England so had to do all our wedding planning from afar (which is why I sent for so many samples as we wanted to narrow down our supplier choices before we visited) and Cameron Erroch would not send out any further information or samples despite us living too far away just to pop into their studio. That is just my experience though, I am sure they have loads of happy couples!

I have other suppliers that were great too:

http://www.selectstrings.co.uk/ really good string quartet

http://www.eyecandyscotland.co.uk who we used for make-up and Lynne was fab!

And of course our venue: http://www.geanhouse.co.uk/ they were so accommodating, and I am a fussy moo

Our piper was a huge hit with the ladies (he was Good looking, or so they tell me) but I can't think which company he came from off the top of my head.

Happy to help out with any thing else if I can.

• babyw
    Beginner
    babyw ·
    • Hide content

Hello

I am an old married now - time flies. Just wanted to let you know about a wedding fair on Sun 7th March 2010 at The Glynhill Hotel Renfrew www.weddingandbaby.co.uk/fairs

HTH

• Shleby
    Beginner September 2010
    Shleby ·
    • Hide content

Hi Girls, Im a 2010 scottish bride. We have booked our venue http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/weddingandparties/0,,5,00.html

Photographer http://www.thomsonphotography.co.uk/

DJ http://www.bigdaddy-productions.co.uk/

H2bs aunty is a wedding planner so we will be getting other things through her.

xx

• babyw
    Beginner
    babyw ·
    • Hide content

For those on bebo there is also a scottish brides group www.bebo.com/Scottishweds

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

Hello Ladies!!

I'm a 2010 bride but thought I'd say hi!!

Haven't done much planning, got my dress, favors and venue (Dalmeny park Hotel in Glasgow) we get a Dj with our package we took with the venue,

My flowers I'll be going with someone local to my folks, who my mum uses all the time. Tog, I'm hoping will be my friend who lives in teignmouth in Devon, but is extremely talented.

Not looked at cakes yet but have someone in mind, they made my brothers cake for his wedding too.

Good luck with the planning!!!

Lxx

• MrsS29
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsS29 ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies!!

Is this post still going?? I hope so!!

Im Leah, getting married on the 4th of June 2011! We have just paid our deposit for Pollockshields burgh hall, its gorgeous, if i may say so myself Smiley laugh

I need to look for caterers now. Anyone any recommendations?? xx

• K
    Beginner May 2011
    kaz9274 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to hitched!

I am sure you will get recommendations from others but might be worth while creating a seperate post!!

How are your plans going? I have done lots already you would think I was getting married this year lol x

• ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oooh I love your venue ... it's a great size and atmosphere.. Have you tried asking the venue if they have any caterers they recommend?

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

HI Kaz!!

Another scottish 2010 bride, although i've been very neglective of my wedding planning duties and hitched (Bad bad girl!!)

How's your planning coming?? I've done everything I need to do, ordering my BM dresses and FG dresses next month and then I've done everything!!

Only 23 weeks to go!! Eeek!!

ETA - I've just seem my above post which much have been when I was very new to Hitched!! lol

LxXx

• Mrs_M_2b
    Beginner July 2012
    Mrs_M_2b ·
    • Hide content

Ho i'm a 2012 bride but thought i would pop in since i'm also scottish ?

we are using bridal images for photography and greg stewart as the piper that is all we have booked at the min. think we will be using gayles bridal cars and panache for the dvd

oh and purfectgems i just e-mailed that wedding band you had recommended further up the page

• MrsS29
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsS29 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks hun Smiley smile

I actually just found my brochure from PBH and there some recommendations in there. Top class caterers sounds really good (www.topclasscatering.com), they do packages if you download the brochure. Im thinking the platinum package sounds perfect? It includes the cake and bridal car, as well as a 3 course meal, buffet at night, a bar and plenty of theres. What do you think?

I wanted to have a purple theme but a friend recently told me she thinks its 'tacky', nice of her i know. I dont think she's changed my mind though. what do you think of these dresses? They are my favourites i've found so far!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390111804602&var=660000622845&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I can not find any flowers i like though. What style of flowers are you all having? Sorry girls im being a right pest already!! xx

• budgetbabe
    Beginner July 2010
    budgetbabe ·
    • Hide content

? Just wanted to say Hi!

Im a 2010 bride, from Ayrshire but getting married at Gretna Green, but let me know if you want any recommendations/ideas for any glasgow/ayrshire suppliers as i helped my sisters plan their weddings over the past few years!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics