Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2025 Greater Manchester

2025 wedding

Carlene, 23 of January of 2024 at 09:44 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 18
Hi beauts, I need reassurance over something

Me and my fiance are planning to get married in March 2025, we got engaged on Boxing Day
My cousin and his fiancee are getting married June of that year
But his mum (my cousin) has said we shouldn't even be thinking of getting married in 2025 at all because of etiquette
Which doesn't make sense because another cousin of ours is getting married 5 days after them
Are we being selfish for wanting to get married that year?

18 replies

Latest activity by Leanne, 23 of February of 2024 at 18:14
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Don’t listen to this person! You have a wedding day NOT a wedding year! Our best friend booked their wedding 4 weeks before us. They’ve unfortunately had to postpone and my fiancés cousin wasn’t planning on getting married until after us but sent an invite last month that it’s just a couple of weeks before us. Look at it this way, if you decided to marry this year they would still have something to say! You enjoy it. Congratulations on your engagement and happy planning!!!! X
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

That's ridiculous, of course it's not 'against etiquette' to get married in the same year as someone else! (Some of my friends have such big families that at the rate of a wedding a year, someone would have to wait until they were about 95 to get married!)

I certainly wouldn't book a wedding immediately before or after a close friend or relative, but a whole three months ahead? That's plenty of space.

• C
    Carlene ·
    • Hide content
    Hey beauts, she's done a complete u turn. Don't think she wants us to wait until 2026 lol!

I love her, but she confuses me sometimes
    Me and Chris are still gonna get married in 2025, but we've decided August of that year will be better for us, because it'll be much warmer
    Our budget for the whole day is £5k
    Thanks so much for your comments 😊🥰
  • S
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So glad you’re both going with what you want! Happy planning! 😬 Shop around to keep in your budget but you are getting married at peak! Again, all depends on day, how many and what you want but you can make it work!!! 😬 Enjoy! ❤️
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad your mum has come round to the idea of two weddings a year.

I do agree with @Shay though - if your budget is tight, do weigh up the increased costs of an August wedding versus the warmer weather! Maybe check out the price difference before fixing a definite date.

• Ava
    Beginner December 2024 Lincolnshire
    Ava ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Congrats on the wedding plans! August is a good call for the weather. Smart move sticking to a £5k budget. Wishing you a wonderful day in 2025!

Cheers to your future together! 💍🎊

• C
    Carlene ·
    • Hide content
    @Shay @Ava @RomanticGreenStationery27135 Thank you all so much for your congratulations and lovely comments

Neither me or my fiance are big spenders, this will be his second marriage, my first
    I've been engaged before, so won't be going the route of buying my dress from a bridal shop. I've seen my dream dress on shein 🥰 and most of my accessories 💖
    Were having an afternoon ceremony at a register office with close family; £265 for an enhanced ceremony with up to 70 (we live in Manchester)
    Then on to our local catholic mens club for the reception. We're not having a wedding breakfast, instead we're having a hot and cold buffet with canapes and prosecco on arrival for our day guests. The evening guests will come around 6:30-7:00
    The function room holds 120
    My cousin is paying for our decorations as a wedding gift (the one who kicked up the fuss in the first place), her sons fiancee does balloons and decorations for any occasion
    Sorry if I confused yous the other day. It's my cousin's son (my 2nd cousin) who's getting married. She's been there for me since my mum died in 2006, and I was hurt when she said that the other night. But it's all forgiven now
    So excited about planning, and my fiance will be having a lot more input this time round
    Thanks again beauts ✨️
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad you've got it all sorted. Hope you didn't mind me mentioning the cost difference between March and August - it's just that I know a lot of people haven't realised that until it's too late to change! It sounds as if you have everything well under control. Totally agree with you regarding not having to spend a lot - our wedding came to well under £3,000 (including honeymoon) and we loved it.

• Eiman
    Beginner August 2024 Al Qāhira
    Eiman ·
    • Hide content
    Go get married Smiley smile
  • S
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This all sounds so amazing!!! Have the best day! I got my bridesmaid dresses from shein (everpretty) and the quality is amazing) I love Manchester. We just bought our wedding rings there 2 days ago. I’m so glad you feel much better now and no confusion here! Would love to see all updated posts on your planning if it was something you wanted to share! Good luck and enjoy! X
  • Chloe
    Beginner August 2025 Gloucestershire
    Chloe ·
    • Hide content

No youre not being selfish, get married whenever you guys want, no one else gets to decide

• Chloe
    Beginner August 2025 Gloucestershire
    Chloe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Im getting married in august 2025, hope your day goes splendidly

• R
    Beginner September 2024 Kent
    Ria ·
    • Hide content

Hi Carlene,

It is not selfish to want to get married next year. No one can claim the year for themselves as their wedding year as that would be selfish. Also, putting it under the umbrella of 'etiquette' is selfish to say too. I would stick to your plans of getting married whenever you and your fiancé desire to as this is the celebration of your love and those important to you will make every effort to attend and make it a special day for you.

Warm wishes,

Ria Rai Events (Wedding & Events Planner)

• A
    Beginner August 2025 West Midlands
    A&K ·
    • Hide content

You do you! You and your partner are not being selfish. Stick to what you both want Smiley smile

• Katrina
    Dedicated February 2025 West Midlands
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    Get marriedSmiley smile it's your special day!!
  • Cazpot88
    Curious August 2025 Greater Manchester
    Cazpot88 ·
    • Hide content
    Hey beauts, its Carlene (I've created a new account 😁) Thank you all so much for your comments and replies

Our Wedding is now officially booked for 22nd August 2025 🥰 both ceremony and reception
    So excited! Xxx
  • S
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So very exciting!!! Enjoy!!! 😬😬❤️
  • Leanne
    Savvy June 2024 Staffordshire
    Leanne ·
    • Hide content
    Please don’t be deterred from sticking with your date . Me and my fella are getting married in June this year , we was first engaged and first to pick a date . One of his brothers got engaged after us and is getting married a few weeks after us , another one of his brothers got engaged and is getting married in July and one of my brothers is getting married in August . There is no hard feelings or anything , it’s going be a lovely year for us . This is something that I haven’t even given a thought about . They are doing what is right for them and we are . I could understand if parents was helping to fund etc , but we are doing it independently anyway . Do what is right for you xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics