Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner May 2013

2nd time around - Middle aged (mature!) bride!

Winnifred, 4 of March of 2013 at 22:03

Posted on Planning 70

Search the internet and you don't find a lot, so I seem to be more or less starting from scratch. Things have changed since the first time 35 years ago and I don't just mean trends - 36-26-36 is now 44-33-44! Coming from a background where a second marriage was a quiet beige registry office affair,...

Search the internet and you don't find a lot, so I seem to be more or less starting from scratch. Things have changed since the first time 35 years ago and I don't just mean trends - 36-26-36 is now 44-33-44! Coming from a background where a second marriage was a quiet beige registry office affair, when the man I love got down on one knee at Christmas and asked, that is what I expected. My nice dove grey Jaques Vert suit, maybe a hat, local registry and home for ham sandwiches and sausage rolls with the immediate family, and the biggest worry would be getting the garden looking nice for it. But we have been persuaded that it is just as special this time and it has moved to a full blown country house hotel affair. So what to wear?

I wanted something like a coloured long skirted suit and hat, but "Mother of the Bride" offerings all seem to be way too short and my legs aren't that good any more. Long dresses, generally for prom or evening, all seemd to be sleeveless, not good for the slight bingo wings. The two or three dreafully scary shops my right hand woman (she's older than me, and while technically still a bridesmaid having never married herself...) and I visited, a long skirt top and jacket, after much altering to fit, or the two examples of a long dress and 3/4 sleeved bolero I found, would set me back anywhere between £700 and £2,500.

So having read as many reviews of differnt organisations as I can, and they are very mixed, I'm opting for China. I have some serious qualms about working condions of the people making the outfit, and some worries about its quality, but I'm getting exactly what I want (I hope) for a fraction of the price. It's due to arrive next week, and if it is a total failure, I have't lost a huge amount and still have time to go back to square one befoe the beginning of May (and there is alwasy the dove grey Jaques Vert).

Anyone else had any experince in this area?

70 replies

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Winnefred :0) sorry, I have just seen this. Yes, absolute bargain.... 4' rose trees from Home Bargains, £15 each!! I'll flash a pic. They just need the stems rearranging a bit as they are a bit squished from storage but I think they are amazing value. I'm going to be standing them in dark silver pots, add a gunmetal ribbon sash and probably diamanté picks in the centre of some of the roses. Given that it costs £20+ to hire them, I figured it was a nobrainer- and ill sell them on afterwards :0) xx

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I love seeing ideas coming together, just love your trees ?

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

OOH, I love your trees, they would look lovely in the entrance to my reception. I will have a shop around for some Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

OOH, I love your trees, they would look lovely in the entrance to my reception. I will have a shop around for some Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

I love your trees, they would look lovely in the entrance to my reception venue. I will have to shop around for some Smiley smile

• M
    Mark Sapsford M.C ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, congratulations. We are second time around this August.

I have just finished a weddding speech for a second time around wedding. It restores faith in love and marriage itself

I hope your big day goes really well

• W
    Beginner May 2013
    Winnifred ·
    • Hide content

Great, I think this is the same company. It just needs a little bit of alteration and it will be fine. I wish you mother every happiness, it certainly does feel as exciting as it did when we younger

• W
    Beginner May 2013
    Winnifred ·
    • Hide content

These look great! My dining table is covered in old treapots full of silk flowers, and and I have found the fresh gypsophyla, sea lavender (limium I think it is called) and the baby eucalyptus leaves will stay good for 48 hrs or more, so I'll add that the day before and then deliver them to the venue. There are soem really good silk flowers out there, very realistic, but the greenery that goes with them is not nearlyup to standard.

Today I found the perfect hat - it is enormous.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

It all sounds lovely!

• W
    Beginner May 2013
    Winnifred ·
    • Hide content

Update on Chinese sourced wedding dress (note they do not allow you to leave feedback on their website, although there is a button to leave a review, it doesn't work.) This is JJs House.

1. Arrived three days after latest arrival date requested, taking two weeks longer than their guideline turnaround time. This was over the Chinese New Year so I guess things take longer. Just allow yourself plenty of time.

2. Came folded tightly into a tiny box (saves postage I guess) so needed serious ironing on arrival. That's how I noticed a number of large grease marks, not really noticeable when trying on, but when laying flat on ironing board yes. Not too big a problem as it needs altering, then pressing, so will have it dry cleaned.

3. Doesn't fit, in spite of measurements given and their supposed tailor making from scratch. I actually ordered two different dresses, as I couldn't make up my mind which to get. Same measurements. One fits on the hips nicely, one is way too tight. Both fit at waist, both fit at the nipple line of the bust, but above that rise straight up (I could comfortably carry a small dog or large cat on my top of bosom and still have it inside the top of the dress - cosy in this weather!). I think you would be fine if you were a standard stock size - see 5. I'm taller than average, fairly heavy and their stock sizes didn't match.

4. On first inspection, appears to be very well made, well boned, padded and beautifully lined in fine cotton. And on unpicking a lining seam to check the seam allowance was enough to let the hips out, a good 2 inches available either side.

5. On complete unpick of the lining for alterations, I see why it is odd sized. Far from being made to measure, they have taken a much larger stock size, and taken it in at the waist, slashing off excess seam allowance. So where this has been done, edges are raw, but further up and down the seams, the overlocking of the original dress is still there. That also explains why the sleeves are more than generous, and the bust is such a peculiar fit. I am normally around a 16, my guess is this was originally a 20 or 22, cut down for me in some places only.

However, the fabric is exactly the colour I want, and of adequate quality taffeta. The two dresses cost me less than £200, and I am putting the back flared skirt off one onto the other to create exactly the dress I want. The alterations are nearly finished, and is all going to turn out alright.

Would I use them again? Probably not. But if you are a stock size and have plenty of time, I think it is probably worth doing.

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

I am 50, and getting married for the first time in July. I was really stressing about the whole dress thing, because of my age and my generous, ahem, womanly figure. I had a very clear idea of what I wanted and couldn't find it anywhere. Plus, I hate strapless dresses (on me) with a passion, which immediately cuts out 90% of what's on offer. I finally decided on my mum making me a dress, although the pattern wasn't exactly what I wanted. She's got some cheap material and was going to cut out the muslin today.

This afternoon I went to the post office, which is next door to a local bridal shop. The shop was empty so I thought I'd pop in and look at some bridesmaids' dresses. The woman in there was lovely and persuaded me to try on a few dresses. An hour later, I walked out in a mild state of shock, having bought and paid for a dress! It's the closest thing to my original idea I've seen anywhere and it looked fab on me (probably helped that the sample was my size). I think the woman in the shop was rather startled too. I don't suppose many brides just pop in on their own and walk out having actually bought a dress. I got some great ideas for bridesmaids' dresses as well. Phoned my mum and caught her ironing the dress pattern pieces, prior to cutting out the muslin.

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Soontobe_mrsG ·
    • Hide content

Gosh, i thought it was just me!

We've just got engaged, and the wedding isnt fixed yet, but likely to be late 2014.

I'll be 50 by then, and am also not a skinny minny.....

I'm so so thrilled to be marrying my wonderful man, but the one thing that scares me is the wedding dress. OH has asked me to wear a wedding dress, and i'd love to, but I just cannot imagine me in one of the beautiful creations I see. I want to look glamourous, but just worry I'll look ridiculous....

hoping I'll get past how I feel, but at the moment its the stuff of my nightmares

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback Winnifred. The advice I've seen all over seems to be that it takes longer than you expect and the non-standard sizes do come out to be somewhat disproportionate. Note to self; slim down to a standard size if buying a chinese dress or develop sewing skills!

Will we get a flash once your alterations are done?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Winnifred that was an excellent account of the way that your dress has been made, I think that should satisfy anyone wanting to buy a dress from China. Still looking forward to seeing it ?

• W
    Beginner May 2013
    Winnifred ·
    • Hide content

Brilliant, bellaZ - it's actually quite surprising what is available out there.

And actually, it doesn't matter how old we are, it's still exciting, isn't it?

My shoes arrived back from the dyers today, and they are perfect. No way I could have bought them, with a size 10 foot I'm limited, but I did find some plain ivory ones. Tha matching handbag was cheap and not as good a quality for dying, but will be fine. Insetad of a bouquet I am usnin this, with a big silk flower corsage I made pinned to it. Shoes are a goo dmatch to the fabric sample sent with them. That's by Wedding Shoes Direct, in Canvey Island, Essex.

• W
    Beginner May 2013
    Winnifred ·
    • Hide content

I know just the feeling, SoontobeMrsG - didn't want white/cream, but not an evenign gown either or bridemaids frock with. So I've chosen a pale lilac blue, a long dress with 3/4 lace sleeves to cover my less than toned upper arms, with a wee bolero over it, so it looks a bit like a long skirted suit. Instead a veil, a masive wide hat, but then some people hate hats... It may come down to my walking up the aisle and taking the hat off, kind of like lifting back a veil Otherwsie as he's taller than me he'll have stoop under the brim to kiss me!.

It's quite hard to find something less bridal that is not quite so much like an evening gown. Some of the American websites have good ideas, that you migh tbe able to have made here?

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you been and tried any on yet? I'm in my early 40's and although I've lost a lot of weight over the past two years I still have a bit to go yet. I didn't think that I would want the usual kind of wedding dress either but one of my friends said "just go along and try - you'll have a fab day!" And she was right! I went along last week, had such a lovely day and tried on quite a few dresses and I can tell you they do work wonders! My waist looked so small and I felt slimmer than I ever have - the whole day gave me such a high that now I want to go and try on some more! If you're still unsure then I would definitely recommend trying some out - you might be as surprised as I was ?

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I also meant to say Winnifred - the flowers on your bag look absolutely lovely! You've done a fab job of styling your bag!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Your flowers are lovely! Really impressed :-)

Are they the same type as you've used for your teacup table centres? It will look so elegant with the colours you've chosen.

• Vipur
    Beginner October 2014
    Vipur ·
    • Hide content

I have just read this thread from start to finish and all I can say is, I cannot wait to see the pictures. I will be 42 when i marry for the second time xx

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Seconding what Vipur said. Really looking forward to seeing your pictures Winnifred. I'm guessing that everything is pretty much in hand by now as the big day is less than 2 weeks away. Are you going to give us a pre-wedding flash or wait until afterwards when we can get the whole effect?? ?

• W
    Beginner May 2013
    Winnifred ·
    • Hide content

Yes, 11 days to go. Hat - large wide brimmed cream, which I added some blue flowers to and a bit of blue fabric around the brim, and dress safely hung in "Best woman's" loft. Dressmaker managed to make the dress fit, and a little thread around the inside of the jacket ruffle is keeping it standing up against my neck rather than flopping about. I have tried it all on together, and overall we are pleased with the efect. But no, didn;t take any pictures. have to wait for the full war paint and hairdo and all.

Discovered I can't wear tights, or proper strockings, and still get my knickers off for a wee with the corset on. You always see pictures of suspendered ladies with their knickers on under the suspender/corset - not possible unless you undo your stockingg to take your knickers down. Also need to have the corset over the underskirt, or it shows through the soft fabric. So opting for hold ups and the tiniest knickers I can find. There is another option but you have to use your imagination.

Busy wearing in the shoes (with socks over them as well so they don't get scuffed). Clearing the table and chairs out of the kitchen each night to practise dancing - unfortunately we have 4 left feet between us, not even two rights and two lefts! We do have a tip though - end it with a dip twist and kiss - you stpe back on your right, he steps forward on his left, twist around to your right slightly, he leans over to kiss you - very a la 1940's movies. The more we practise, the more comfortable our feet are getting and we are beginning to relax and enjoy the 3.4 minues it takes!

Will keep you posted

• W
    Beginner May 2013
    Winnifred ·
    • Hide content

Well the event went off very well, very few small issues that were not 100% perfect, but life isn't , is it. But you are interested in the dress; it seemed to get approving compliments, the colour was exactly what I wanted, and I felt comfortable that my bingo wings where covered and I still had a waistline.

This is what it looks like on their tiny model, and also what it looked like on the more buxom me. Plus jacket, which I removed along with hat for the evening. By the time the dress maker had finished with it, it was good, but a bit short, so I made an underskirt two inches longer from the skirt of the discarded 2nd dress, and we also put the slight train of the seond dress onto this one. hence the need for a "wrist hitch" for dancing -

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Winnifred, you looked amazing, congratulations ?

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, you looked absolutely fabulous Winnifred! The dress looks great and I love the lace on the arms and back ?

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations Winnifred!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been thinking about you this last couple of days, so thankyou for flashing so soon!

Your outfit looks fab altogether.... The dress is gorgeous and such a beautiful colour!

Really happy it went well for you- and we look forward to a report ;0)

Xx

• W
    Beginner May 2013
    Winnifred ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, I was pleased with the eventual outcome. There isn't really much to report, except that I would highly recommend Down Hall in Hertfordshire; even after the tragic events of the week before. These places are much of a muchness in terms of cost, but their service all the way through, by every staff member was outstanding. It's a beautiful old house, the food was excellent, and there was quite enough. The flowers were fine, I added baby eucalyptus, gypsophylla and sea lavender on Friday morning, which were drying nicely (still flexible so not fragile) by Saturday afternoon. All went very smoothly, very little I would have changed. And my lovely man and I danced until 2, but at our age it takes longer to get over it than it used to!

I've spent today wading through photographs - in this day and age I think the disposable cameras on tables aren't worth the development cost, when so many people have tiny digitals or their phones. So We have set up a website for a one off £20, open for 6mths, where all our guests can upload their photos and download anyone else's. We have to vet them first, and then they can be organised into albums - venue, speeches, disco, etc. The professional won't have theirs ready for 6 weeks apparently. This seems like a good ide to me. I chose weddingphotoswap.com but there are plenty of others - you just need to find one that will also allow downloading, as well, some only allow your guests to upload.

My aim then is make my thank you cards (we asked for no gifts but seem to have acquired a vast number of gift vouchers tucked into wedding cards) with a note for the individual, and a picture of them at the wedding on the front. So that will keep me occupied for a while.

Cheers

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. You looked absolutely stunning.

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. You looked absolutely stunning.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics