Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner May 2013

2nd time around - Middle aged (mature!) bride!

Winnifred, 4 of March of 2013 at 22:03

Posted on Planning 70

Search the internet and you don't find a lot, so I seem to be more or less starting from scratch. Things have changed since the first time 35 years ago and I don't just mean trends - 36-26-36 is now 44-33-44! Coming from a background where a second marriage was a quiet beige registry office affair,...

Search the internet and you don't find a lot, so I seem to be more or less starting from scratch. Things have changed since the first time 35 years ago and I don't just mean trends - 36-26-36 is now 44-33-44! Coming from a background where a second marriage was a quiet beige registry office affair, when the man I love got down on one knee at Christmas and asked, that is what I expected. My nice dove grey Jaques Vert suit, maybe a hat, local registry and home for ham sandwiches and sausage rolls with the immediate family, and the biggest worry would be getting the garden looking nice for it. But we have been persuaded that it is just as special this time and it has moved to a full blown country house hotel affair. So what to wear?

I wanted something like a coloured long skirted suit and hat, but "Mother of the Bride" offerings all seem to be way too short and my legs aren't that good any more. Long dresses, generally for prom or evening, all seemd to be sleeveless, not good for the slight bingo wings. The two or three dreafully scary shops my right hand woman (she's older than me, and while technically still a bridesmaid having never married herself...) and I visited, a long skirt top and jacket, after much altering to fit, or the two examples of a long dress and 3/4 sleeved bolero I found, would set me back anywhere between £700 and £2,500.

So having read as many reviews of differnt organisations as I can, and they are very mixed, I'm opting for China. I have some serious qualms about working condions of the people making the outfit, and some worries about its quality, but I'm getting exactly what I want (I hope) for a fraction of the price. It's due to arrive next week, and if it is a total failure, I have't lost a huge amount and still have time to go back to square one befoe the beginning of May (and there is alwasy the dove grey Jaques Vert).

Anyone else had any experince in this area?

70 replies

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

You look amazing Winnifred. I'm so sorry I didn't spot this as you updated so soon!

..and I'm shamelessly stealing your photo upload site idea. Thanks :-)

Many congratulations and best wishes for ytou married life together.

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I too am a slightly older lady, with two married daughters. as a result of searching for wedding attire for their weddings, and wanting to start up a small business, i now have a little fascinator business. when you have your outfit maybe you might like to look at my site and se what you think. I have some stunning pieces, many of which have matching handbags available too.

www.weddingfascinator.co.uk

Hope that helps,

Lynne

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Congratulations.

I have some pretty fascinators which would be lovely for a slightly older bride so maybe take alook at my website and see if anything is suitable. Hope that helps.

Lynne

• H
    Beginner May 2013
    harrietrosesmith ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies

If any of you have a spare 5 minutes I would be truly grateful if you could fill out a survey. I am in my last year of my degree and am doing my major project on older/second time brides. I feel second time weddings are just as important as first and a bride should wear whatever she feels beautiful in. I feel second time brides are ignored on the highstreet, I found this thread and totally agree with Winnifred - barely anything is spoken about second time brides online and I think especially on the high street. I'd really appreciate any feedback you have. Thank you all so much for reading and congrats to you all.

Here is the link to my survey -

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=prk9zs0isx6ijqv345992&refer=freeonlinesurveys.com

Warm regards

Harriet

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

It might be worth you starting your own thread also. This one is fairly old now so some of the posters may not still be around much

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

You looked beautiful Winnifred Smiley smile
    Congratulations to you both x

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I have a fascinator website so there may be something to go with your outfit on there. Let me know if you need any help.

Lynne

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics