Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2018

3 months to go. Sudden Catholic church fee. Agghh!!!

SunnyBlueDecor836, 17 of May of 2018 at 23:19 Posted on Planning 0 5

We've had our date with Catholic church booked since June last year. We were under the impression it was just a donation to the church, as this was the case with others we know who have been married there before. There was no mention of cost from priest. Now three months before the wedding we're being told by priest there's a £500 fee. Feeling really stressed out about this. I know church of England charges but as far as I knew Catholic church didn't. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

5 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBlueDecor836, 21 of May of 2018 at 16:07
  • R
    Beginner April 2019
    RomanticYellowConfetti938 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We're having a Catholic wedding and were told upon booking that it was a £50 fee for the priest and £50 for the church. Its also £100 for the organist. They were very upfront about the costs though and it's nowhere near £500.

I would speak to the church and see exactly what that fee covers and why you werent told upon booking.

Unfortunately there may be no option but to pay at this late stage.

Good luck!

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SunnyBlueDecor836 ·
    • Hide content

A. It just Feels like it was deliberate to wait till now to tell us about this fee, when it's too late to do anything about it. Just if we'd known earlier we would have allowed for it more, now got to see what can be cut down.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I would definitely enquire about what this covers, and why you weren't told of it when you booked. Maybe they have recently changed this, in which case you may be able to argue out of it as you had pre-booked.

Very un-Christian of them to do this to you though! Good luck getting it sorted!

• S
    Beginner August 2019
    SecondTimeBlueBride ·
    • Hide content

I have always known catholic ceremonies to be a donation. I would bring it up with the priest again and if you have no luck I would seriously consider bringing it up with the bishop of your diocese x

• L
    LilacsandDiamonds ·
    • Hide content

We get married in a catholic church in July. Our priest asked for a £100 donation but told us to give what we can afford. He said he had a couple recently who didn't make a donation at all because they couldn't afford to and he was fine about that. My cousins also got married in a different catholic church and were let off with the marriage preparation fees because they couldn't afford it. You should definitelyspeak to him , he may be more flexible than you think. Hope that helps - good luck!

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SunnyBlueDecor836 ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou all for your advice. Have spoken to the priest and he is letting us just pay what we budgeted a donation for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics