Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Pugsley*
Beginner March 2014

30 minute walk

*Pugsley*, 16 of November of 2013 at 14:07 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 12

Hi guys

Im terrible when it comes to exercise, I really am so unfit & so busy so I don't really have time to join a gym.

Do you think if I did a 30min walk in my lunch break at work it'd make a difference on top of eating healthy & low fat food?

12 replies

Latest activity by SoftKitty, 8 of April of 2014 at 20:16
  • M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Of course it will! Anything that will help you burn extra calories will help! You can work on increasing the pace of the walk the fitter you get

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Oh good!

There's a park right by my work so I can walk round at lunch.

Thanks!

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

You could consider getting a Couch to 5k app? They take you from basically walking for half an hour to running for half an hour over 9 weeks. I'm using two different apps and doing it over 18 weeks (or longer!) with hopefully 3 sessions a week combined with a 7 minute workout app (which kills!).

I started last week and then promptly got a really bad cold so I'm in no mood for exercise at the moment. I used to be super fit. Now all I do is walking (albeit an awful lot of walking!) and I want to build up my fitness levels gradually. I'm also going to start swimming again... once my cold has gone.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

When I was a member of a gym (when I had a different job & more spare time) I used to run 5k on the treadmill & it was ok... I would be knackered afterwards. I haven't done that for ages though.

The thing is, I have a problem with one of my knees and shouldn't really run, especially not on pavement as it jarrs the joint unfortunately. Even walking for too long causes my knee to seize up if it's on something which isn't a bit springy (like grass or a treadmill).

I think I'll try the 30min walks and see how I get on. I have a bike which the physio said was actually good for my knee so maybe I should just make time and go for a ride more often... I'm just a bit scared of roads!

Thanks for your advice!!

• Janelly
    Beginner January 2015
    Janelly ·
    • Hide content

30 minutes a day is better than 0 minutes a day! Of course, if you really want to look amazing on your wedding day you should work out seriously to get in, basically, the best shape of your life... But if you just want to improve your fitness level a little bit, a daily walk would be a great way to start!

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Pugsley

Congrats on the initiative!

The 30 minutes walk is a great way to start and a great way to stay healthy.

Jillian says we should mix and match different exercises for different muscles/cardio to maximize the impact on the body, always shocking into reacting.

I believe it is worth to monitor your progress (how far are you going on those 30 mins., how much weight you are losing etc...) to see if you need to start introducing some different form of workout to boost the results.

Good luck!

• K
    kasha.b ·
    • Hide content

I think people underestimate the effect of walking. I started walking just half an hour a day and it made a huge difference. The key is to build up so that you walk fast enough to get out of breath. It helps if you have an ipod or similar and listen to fast music that you can walk in time to, and swing your arms. It's alright saying you have to work out etc and be in the best shape but this has to be something that's achievable and walking is free and fits in with your life and can make a difference.

I think you feel better after walking and are less likely to want to eat rubbish food, it has a knock o effect. Good luck Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner August 2015
    Laura Styles ·
    • Hide content

I totally agree, walking makes a massive difference. My Mum told me that when I was a baby she tried loads of diets, but then found that cutting out bread and pushing the pram to and from school (to pick my brother up) gave her the biggest losses. Mums are always right so thought I'd share her wisdom :-)

Good luck!

L x

• L
    Beginner August 2015
    Laura Styles ·
    • Hide content

How is the new regime going? Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner August 2015
    Laura Styles ·
    • Hide content

Also if you look for 'Vegetarian diet' thread I have posted some advice/recipe blogs to look at... don't know if you're vegetarian or not, but might help you along the way. Just made an epic salad for lunch... it looked more like a riot at an allotment than a posh leafy thing, but it was blimmin lovely!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much of a difference walking can make Smiley smile
    I love a good walk through the park and me & my mum regularly take the doggy and walk for miles. Burns calories as well as toning at the same time, much prefer it to running or jogging and it's easier too! I'm sure you'll see great results Smiley smile

• W
    Beginner December 2015
    weddingspy27 ·
    • Hide content

30 minutes walk everyday is really good. IMO this simple exercise, if done daily, could make you fit and healthy.

• SoftKitty
    Beginner December 2016
    SoftKitty ·
    • Hide content

According to MyFitnessPal I lost 194 calories just from a leisurely walk to and from town (about an hour)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics