Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs S Smith
Beginner August 2007

30th Birthday BBQ - ideas?

Mrs S Smith, 16 June, 2009 at 08:22 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

Hi all,

Jist of it is, it's H's 30th birthday on Friday, and we're planning to hold a bbq for him on Saturday.

We have about £20-50 to spend on it, which means it's going to be a Bring-your-own bbq which people seem fine with so far...

I was wondering if anyone had/would want any themes for their 30th birthdays? So far I've come up with A Team, Knightrider, <cringe> Transformers, Superman and Super Mario Brothers (big difference between all of them!)

I'm going to chat to his best mate this evening, but just wanted to find out if anyone had any other ideas, really?

What about party games and things to do? We've got SingStar on the PS3 later on in the evening after a fair few drinks, but I'd like for H to go away and think "wow that was a cool 30th memorable birthday" rather than just "well that was a good bbq"

He doesn't want much fuss made about him, though, so can't be any roasting and stuff I don't think... Gah it's so tough! ?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, I'm going to pop out in 10, and won't be back for a few hours but will reply as soon as I can log back on ?

ETA - Mrs M and Ashke - the emailing feature isn't working on here, so please could you send me an email to my profile? Or reply here and I'll send you my email addres

Thank you!

18 replies

Latest activity by Mrs S Smith, 16 June, 2009 at 20:22
  • A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

The nicest 30th birthdays I've been to have been informal, relaxed affairs - usually a BBQ or house party at the person's house.

For mine, I provided some sparkling wine & beer & nibbles and then people brought cake, wine etc etc. We ended up with drunken Buzz on the playstation and a boys v girls trivial pursuit at 2am.

For one of my best mates they had an open house at their brand new house. We had a day long buffet & BBQ and sat up until late evening just nattering and drinking. A lovely day.

For me, it's the company that makes a good party, not a theme or contrived games.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, I would steer clear of themes and party games. I would find that cringeworthy I'm afraid! If he doesn't want a fuss, low key is the way to go. I'd much rather be relaxed than force to do something and would rather just have a bbq than think "gosh, do you remember Bob's 30th, they made me pin the tail on the donkey, never want to do that again".

How many are coming? You could do a lot of the food for less than £50 if there aren't going to be 30 people there. I would do that and ask people to bring their own booze and maybe snacks. I would be too precious to let people bring their own food as if it's rubbish, it would look bad on me. ? I also remember the outrage at Brownie sausage sizzles at the beach, when everyone had to bring two sausages each and if you took lovely butchers sausages, you would always end up with someone else's skinless thin Tesco Value style.

We had a BBQ for H's 30th on Saturday and I made BBQ pork ribs, sun dried tomato burgers and lamb koftas along with potato salad and coleslaw. It was lovely, we just sat around in the sunshine and enjoyed grazing over a couple of hours.

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content

Oooh thanks guys, I really appreciate it!! ?

Mrs M - you make a good point about the whole embarrasment factor - I'd want it to be memorable, but then on the same time I see now that there's a very fine line between funny and embarrasing ? Also, the point about the food is good - I've already said to some of the guys that if they want particular drinks, they'll have to bring them themselves ? cos I know they drunk our house dry the other week when we had a little do at ours, and that wasn't even a special occasion!!

? both again, steering clear of the parties and themes ideas, and just gonna get some good music to put on the iPod, make some cakes and then BBQ away to our hearts contents!

xxx

• Mizz Pink
    Beginner May 2007
    Mizz Pink ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would ditto the others and stear clear of games etc, my H would be mortified if I organsised anything like that. Maybe get a foiled 30 balloon and a few 30 banners?

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content

Mizz Pink - thanks for that...

I'm going to go on a hunt for some balloons and other bits and bobs, see how much they are first of all etc ?

xxx

• Evil Yoda
    Beginner June 2005
    Evil Yoda ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Mizz Pink. We had a bbq for my mum's 60th (so not quite the same ?) and she didn't want a fuss. All I did was buy som 60th table confetti and a few 60th helium balloons and tied them in their garden and she loved it.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

That sounds like a plan. ? I find themes and games just put pressure onto people and I'm sure they'll enjoy themselves anyway.

I'd definitely say to people to bring drinks. Friends of ours have a big house and garden so most big gatherings are held at their house and you aren't allowed in if you don't take as much as you are planning to drink. ? They'd be bankrupt otherwise. It's all just put together on a big table (apart from my nice non-alcoholic drinks, which get hidden as I'm the only tee-totaller) for people to help themselves and it works really well. They also ask 3/4 people (? ?) to bring some salads or other stuff and then they just buy what goes on the BBQ.

I find that most people are happy to eat nice burgers (which you can make in advance) and things like koftas. You can buy larger quantities of beef and lamb mince and the other ingredients don't cost much. You can get the big bags of Warburtons rolls in the supermarket and value pitta breads. Boys seem to always like sausages too and a big pack of them wouldn't cost much. I make my own coleslaw with carrots, onions and white cabbage and potato salad with new potatoes, salt, pepper and some chives. I make coleslaw with salad cream and my potato salad with a mix of salad cream and mayo (salad cream is my guilty pleasure ? Yes BBQs with butterflied legs of lamb etc are lovely but as long as what you have is nice, people will be happy. If you have a friend/relative who likes to cook, you could task them with some pudding?

I hope you enjoy it!

• Loulabelles
    Beginner January 2012
    Loulabelles ·
    • Hide content

I've got a brand new pack of 30th balloons and banners which i bought for my H's birthday and never used. You can have them for free if you like. The balloons are not foil just normal rubber but the banners are foil. Send me a message and I'll post them to you if you like.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, actually... Would you like a RAHK of 2/3 banners, 4 balloons and a full pack of 30 table confetti?

Oops, beaten to it! ?

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content

Loulabelles and Mrs M - I'd LOVE them!!! Going to stalk message you now ?

I'm going to try and make a cake, first time of my life!! I've done things like homemade burgers before, so that shouldn't be too difficult..

<skank alert>Also, would it be a BIG HUGE no-no to go for the Iceland 25 pieces for £5 packs? </skank alert>

Oohh this is going to be a brill party!! I can feel it!!

Thanks for your ideas guys, I'm literally wanting to jump up and down in my seat; not really too good a look in an open-plan office ?

xxx

• Loulabelles
    Beginner January 2012
    Loulabelles ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure how this message malarky works so here is my email address. I will leave it up her for a few mins, let me know when you have it and i will delete.

• Mizz Pink
    Beginner May 2007
    Mizz Pink ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Personally I find Iceland food awful but Sainsburys do the bag for £5 and thats nice, I've had it before. Asda have some good bbq food offers too.

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content

Lou - got it, thanks!

Mizz Pink - good idea re: Sainsbury's and Asda's, I didn't even realise they had those types of offers. I've never really bought stuff from Iceland bar their chocolate gateau (oooh must get some of that!! ? ) so was a bit apprehensive anyway

xxx

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content

Loulabelles - I've just emailed you

Mrs M - I can't seem to send you an email at the moment cos work's stupid internet ? doesn't work! Would I be able to send you an email tonight_

Thanks both!!! ?

xxx

• Loulabelles
    Beginner January 2012
    Loulabelles ·
    • Hide content

You have mail!!

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!!! ?

xxx

• ashke_again
    Beginner
    ashke_again ·
    • Hide content

I have some 30stuff if you want it too, Matalan was great for banners etc but I'm now loathe to throw it out!

J

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh yay that'd be fab!!

Again, could I please email you this evening? Would that be ok?

xxx

• Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content

Mrs M, Ashke -

Hitched is playing up big time - could you email me at my hotmail address? *********@*******.*** - I'll delete once you've seen this thread...

I know it's really cheeky..

?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics