Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2014

3:30pm

sazziery, 18 of August of 2013 at 22:20 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi all,

Been engaged for less than a month and already booked a venue and a slot with the registrar. We had the option of 12:30 or 3:30pm for the ceremony. We chose 3:30pm cos I felt 2:30 was too early. Now I'm thinking 3:30 is too late? I'm wanting everything to flow quite smoothly and the ceremony and reception are in the same place.

Do these timings sound right?

3:30-3:50pm ceremony

3:50pm - 5pm Photos

5:00pm-7pm wedding breakfast and speeches

7:30pm evening reception.

When you book a time with the registrar does that mean they would turn up before 3:30? or would they turn up at 3:30?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

16 replies

Latest activity by Helenia, 21 of August of 2013 at 17:51
  • Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married at 4 and mine looks like yours but running half an hour later and the evening reception starting at 8. I hope it goes ok!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Sounds fine. We were originally going to have 3.30 but changed to 2pm. I think your other option would be a bit too early. Your timings look perfect.

• S
    Beginner August 2014
    sazziery ·
    • Hide content

Phew. Brilliant. Thanks for your support ?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Errrm just a couple of things, your groom will be able to chat to people before but I am guessing you will be arriving when everyone is seated or you will nevertheless not want to be seen by anyone before. The other thing is by the time you are 5 mins late and everyone is out of the room all of a sudden it is 4pm and you say the meal is to start at 5 so that leaves only 1 hour for the photos which is not enough bearing in mind during this time you are also wanting to have your reception drinks and chat to your guests. Also don't forget that your guests are not instantly transported in to the room so depending on how many you have you could be looking at 1/2 an hour by the time they are all seated and you are announced into the room as mr and mrs.Most likly if your sit-down time is 5 then your venue will want to start this at 4.45. I say go for 12.30 and you will find you still have a nice flow BUT without the stress of watching the clock giving you more time to chill- relax and take it all in.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Our daughter got married at 3.30 and the ceremony took 45 mins (registrar's advice) and she came up to the bedroom to speak to the Bride prior to going down. She'd also spoken to the Groom and Best Man before coming to see Bride. Both B & G were in the same hotel but kept well away from each other so no one saw anything of each other till she walked up the aisle apart from us and Groom's Mum & Dad.

After ceremony, drinks outside and mingling and photos. Photographer had already been there about an hour and a half taking getting ready shots and shots of Groom, Best Man etc. Meal was served at 6pm as they weren't having a separate evening do but just going straight through. Disco went on at 8 and dance floor put down, chairs and tables re-arranged. Evening guests arrived at 9pm although there were only a few of these.

Pie and Peas was served at 10 ish (they had a separate pork pie wedding cake which the venue kindly agreed to add peas to for free!) and dancing till 1am. Bar closed, music stopped and people hung around chatting till about 2.30am and then most drifted off to bed. Nearly all guests stayed at the hotel.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

How many guests do you have?

You won't be out of the ceremony room until at least 4pm which only leaves an hour for your photos - I would worry that's not enough time.

We had a noon ceremony and it was perfect but I understand some people think that's early (non of our guests did, mind you).

Are you having separate evening guests?

• S
    Beginner August 2014
    sazziery ·
    • Hide content

But if the registrar is booked in for a ceremony at 3.30 does this mean the ceremony starts ay 3.30 or generally is this when she arrives? I dont know if I misunderstood?

I think ill have enough time for ceremony, photos and breakfast if the evening starts at 8 or 8.30 we can go on til 1pm and most of the guests are in during the day.

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the photos personally I do not think an hour is long enough.

Also I would also give a but extra time between wedding breakfast and evening only because I went to a wedding as the wedding its self was behind and people were still having the wedding breakfast with evening guests outside waiting to come in,

I don't think 12:30 is to early, were having ours about 11:30 as its in January and for lighting and photography as it will be getting dark ealry

• Hide content
    View quoted message

No that should be when the ceremony starts and you are walking into the room. They will (should) be there at about 2.50 for a cup of tea and to get themselfs sorted and then will see your groom at about 10 past 3 and by the time that you arrive at 3.20 everyone will be in the room and you will be seen by the reg at 3.20. What they are doing is double checking name address DOB etc- you dont need any id as its just to make it tallys with what they are expecting.

• Gemma Lawrence
    Gemma Lawrence ·
    • Hide content

I shot a 4pm wedding yesterday and it was lovely and relaxed. Nothing felt rushed at all and we fit everything in nicely. I like afternoon weddings Smiley smile

• MrsBeckiW
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsBeckiW ·
    • Hide content

I had a conumdrum like this last week and hitched came to the rescue Smiley smile

I was offered either 11 or 4 - and we have finally decided that 4 is better for us.

This is the itinerary that the hotel has sugested:

Option 2
    4pm Ceremony
    4.30pm Reception Drinks
    6pm Meal
    8pm Speeches
    8.30pm Evening Guests arriving and tea and coffee in the front lounge
    9.30pm Cutting of the cake and first dance
    10pm Evening buffet served

I am going to hopefully cut down a couple of things though. I don't think we need 2 1/2 hours for food and speeches?

I am also considering asking if the DJ can set up in the first break if there is room for the DJ booth and all the tables so that might cut down the second break.

When I spoke to our photographer, she said if we were well organised she would be able to get maybe 10 family shots in half hour. We didn't want too many anyway and are going to give my and my OH's brothers lists so they can get everyone organised for them.

Hope that helps Smiley smile

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

If you've either 12:30 or 3:30 then 3:30 is fine.

I shoot at a venue which regularly has a 3pm ceremony time and bums are on seats by 5pm.

I would just severely limit the number of photos you have on your formals list.

12:30 and you risk the day dragging or people not making it past the 10pm point.

P.S. I've a wedding on Saturday where the ceremony is taking place at 5.15

• Hide content

Another factor to consider is how many guests you have because if you only have 30 then 3.30 is fine, if you have 130 then there are extra people to move around to where they need to be and extra people to chat to. It can take upto 1/2 hour just for 130 people to get themselves seated.
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

3.30pm is absolutely fine. But for anyone who has decided to go for earlier - everyone was still going strong at midnight at our noon wedding. You'll know your guests best. Smiley smile

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at 12 but we are losing an hour travelling time. I just wanted as long as I could Smiley smile

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It depends on how many guests you have. It can take much longer than you might think to serve and clear 3 courses for a large number of people. As Bill Haddon said, even getting 100+ people into a room, all sat down and ready for food can take a decent chunk of that meal time! Your venue will have plenty of experience in this and will know how much time it takes for them to serve a certain type of food to a certain number of people, so I'd listen to them on that one!

Speeches can be cut down if you can persuade those speaking to keep it very short!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics