Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner December 2012

3pm too late? December Civil ceremony

WinterBrideSoon, 13 August, 2012 at 13:44 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi Everyone

Please help! My OH and I got engaged a few weeks ago and we decided we'd really like to get married in December 2012. Last minute I know but we don't want a big wedding (50 day guests).

We found two venues we really like that are available for Sat 29th or Sat 8th December, but the registrar can only do 3pm on each of these dates. I am a teacher and my OH is British-Chinese and will only get married on a 'lucky day' so we are having difficulty finding other dates where the venues are available.

Has anyone else got married at this time in December or are planning to? The latest I wanted to get married was at 2pm to allow some time for photos in the daylight. There is a lovely castle 5 minutes drive from the venue that I wanted some pics at, but we wouldn't be able to fit this in getting married at 3pm.

Many thanks x

5 replies

Latest activity by Chris Giles Photography, 13 August, 2012 at 20:42
  • hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

My friend got married in December 2010 at 4pm, but they had all of their photos indoors anyway. As it happened it was a really foggy day so even had they got married earlier it wouldn't have been any good for outdoor photos. Could you choose a venue with somewhere lovely indoors for pics? This is what we have done for our November wedding. We're getting married at 12.30pm in the hope of getting some good light, but we needed a back up plan should the weather be terrible...

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! I have a similar dilemma. Marrying in Dec, want photos in the daylight, but if the ceremony is too early, it'll be too long a gap before the evening buffet (not having a sit down afternoon meal).

If you have a short ceremony then maybe it won't be completely dark afterwards at say 3.30pm, but I think it'll be getting gloomy... depending on whether it's a bright sunny day or wet/overcast, of course.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I also thought of having photos beforehand just the two of you, could be very sweet and romantic!

Or if that is not for you, you could have a Rock the Frock photoshoot afterwards? Chance to wear your dress again and get some fabulous photos at the castle?

• W
    Beginner December 2012
    WinterBrideSoon ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both for your suggestions. I hope your planning is coming along nicely.

Hazyclare, unfortunately neither of the venues we are looking at have the best indoor photo opportunities - we are planning on a winter marquee venue so no open fires or anything like that but I suppose we could do our best to make it very picturesque on the inside. One venue is much bigger than the other so that might be worth considering.

Kingfisher, I'm glad you've found a way of getting round it. 2pm would have been ideal for us! I'm not particularly superstitious but I don't have the guts to do the photos before the wedding! Good on you though! I suppose we could pay extra to have some photos of the two of us the next day... I'd have to sort my hair out myself then of course!

• A
    andrewj ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately, it will probably be too dark to take group shots outside at the castle by the time everyone can get there but is it lit at night? If so you should be able to get some great shots of the two of you with the castle lit up in the background.

In the marquee can you get a wall of 'fairy lights' to use as a background for the group shots? It's quite usual to hire a wall of white netting with lights here. This will make a lovely background for group shots.

We've obviously shot quite a few winter weddings over the years & people are always surprised how 'light' the photographs look.

Andrew & Vanssa

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

3pm isn't too late, just remember that any formals will be better off done in smaller groups and indoors. 4-8 people max.

If you are having a photographer check to make sure they are good in low light.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics