Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Danniellax
Beginner October 2020

5 years too early?

Danniellax, 29 of October of 2015 at 01:04 Posted on Planning 0 9

I am newly engaged, and we've set our wedding date for 24-10-2020 ...Because we've set the date so far in advance when do I want to begin actually planning and booking?
I want to be excited and start planning now but I feel a bit silly with the date been so far back?
I know in 5 years times a lot of my ideas could change but should that stop me looking around for what I like?
When did you start planning? If it was a long engagement did you want to change what you had arranged further down the line?
Thanks in advance

9 replies

Latest activity by April21Bride, 2 of December of 2020 at 21:01
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Hi congratulations!

I haven't had a long time planning but I know some have been planning for three years and there is a 2017 thread and a few brides for later. It's never too early to save and look around and join in the forum to see what everyone else is planning to get ideas. Not to mention it's fun Smiley smile

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! personally I wouldn't book anything yet but I would definatky be creating mood boards and attend wedding fayres for inspiration! I would also be looking at a budget and start booking things around 2 years in advance. We had a 3 year engagement and booked the venue 26 months in advance and went from there. Most suppliers were shocked we were booking so early but it wasn't long after that they started to get booked up!

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Ps it will fly past!!!

• S
    Beginner August 2016
    Sondy ·
    • Hide content

It's worth thinking about what you might want but I would hold off booking things until the 3 year mark at the earliest...enjoy!

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

I don't think that you would be able to book anything this far in advance but I may be wrong!

I am getting married in July 2017. We booked our wedding in July 2015. Everyone keeps commenting on how far away it is and how they wish that we were getting married next year! Whenever I am asked when the wedding is, I say July and they get all excited and when I say 2017, they look really disappointed!

We still have 20 months to go. So far I have booked the venue, registrar and photographer. I will start properly after Christmas I think.

One thing to bear in mind is that most wedding insurance policies won't cover anything that you pay until two years beforehand and most wedding venues only have their prices sorted for about two years beforehand.

This shouldn't stop you looking though and getting ideas! X

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Hey! Congratulations! I'm a 2017 bride, and started booking the big things (venue, photographer, registrar) in 2014.

Things I recommend you do now:

*Do mood boards. The style of our wedding has changed quite a bit between originally booking our venue and now, but mood boards helped us to decide which we preferred as we're both very eclectic people and into loads of different styles etc.

*Do your research. Look at venues you like, photographers whose styles you like etc. Decide what parts of the wedding are important to you. Do you want to splash out on the dress, or is entertainment more important etc? This helps with the next bit:

*Work out your budget and start saving. Obviously, costs will go up between now and 2018, but doing research now will give you an idea of what you can afford.

Then, you can look in earnest and start booking things in 2018. The big benefit of booking that early is that suppliers will sometimes let you get the price for the year you are booking. I.e, you might get 2018 prices instead of 2020 prices.

Enjoy!

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm just curious why you decided on 2020? I agree with the others advice, it's never to early to start a mood board. Venues get booked up 2 years in advance so well worth looking around so you are prepared. As the previous poster said, it's worth considering that the cost will go up each year so include that in your budget. Planning is fun so least you've got plenty of time to enjoy it without getting stressed!

• kelsielowphotography
    kelsielowphotography ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!! I would begin searching for your suppliers and perhaps make a list of those you think you would like to use, and contact them in 2 years time when you have 3 years to go, that way you should leave plenty of time to guarantee booking the suppliers you would like Smiley smile

• Natalie
    Beginner August 2025 Norfolk
    Natalie ·
    • Hide content
    Just came across this in 2020, no one saw that coming huh..? Did you guys go througu with the wedding? Regards ?
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was thinking the same thing. Fingers crossed you managed to have the wedding you wanted.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics