Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

moonpie1985
Beginner July 2012

50's style wedding ideas

moonpie1985, 7 of March of 2011 at 19:21 Posted on Planning 0 32

Hi Everyone.

I have chosen a particular style of dress which has a distinct 50's look about it.

So I was thinking of playing up to the dress and having a few other things within the wedding which hark back to the 50's style too such as a 50's classic car for the transportation for us, and a 50's red double decker bus to transport the guests in between the ceremony & venue.

I have pictured in my mind a red & white spotty 2 or 3 tiered cake - but can anyone suggest a better cake design which would be more in keeping with the 50's ?

Thanks for reading

32 replies

Latest activity by teeheeyoucrazyguys!, 10 of March of 2011 at 11:45
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Http://fiftieswedding.com/blog/ may help you with many aspects of your big day Smiley smile

http://fiftieswedding.com/blog/dressing-up-your-cake-vintage-inspired-wedding-cake-toppers is all about cakes.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Thank-you ajdown.

Very similar dresses on that blog to the one I want.

Definitly some great ideas and touches

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Whereabouts are you planning on getting married? There's lots of 50s style cars out there for hire as wedding transport, I can see "american diner" style with a jukebox rather than a disco, popcorn stand and all that sort of thing would go down wonderfully. Elvis tribute or a rock n roll band for the evening entertainment?

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I will be getting married in Buckinghamshire and the reception will be in a country pub.

Love the idea of a rock & roll band.

My mum has been hinting at getting an elvis tribute. She has no idea that i have decided on a 50's dress yet. She will be so excited!

• KristaltippsHall
    Beginner February 2011
    KristaltippsHall ·
    • Hide content

Loving the theme! How about something like these?

or how about going completely Audrey Hepburn?

a la her Givenchy dress?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

• CardiffInvitations
    CardiffInvitations ·
    • Hide content

Love the 50's idea and some of those flashes are great. Love the red and white spots!

Anna

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Suggest a browse through https://www.americandreams.co.uk/classicamerican.html for some suitable vintage transportation Smiley smile

This lady - https://www.mscupcake.co.uk/ - does vegan cupcakes in 70 different flavours and has a 50's thing going on. The cakes are scrummy too.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

OMG Sherrie I love what you have flashed! Am a wee bit biased as we had an abundance of polkadots at our wedding which was 50s inspired.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I have polka dot theme and a tea length dress.

Nowt more to add. Just wanted to boast!!

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Wow - all of this is such wonderful ideas.

I love the spotty stuff - I have definitly got to find me some of those spotty brides maids dresses.

And i am definitly wanting a cool 50's cadillac after looking on the americandreams.co.uk link.

thank-you ladies x

• KristaltippsHall
    Beginner February 2011
    KristaltippsHall ·
    • Hide content

Hellbunny do some gorgeous polka dot dresses, try eBAY too.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*points at signature and smiles again*

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Also have a look at Vivien of Holloway dresses, and honeypie boutique Smiley smile

• KristaltippsHall
    Beginner February 2011
    KristaltippsHall ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine totally rocked this look :

too cool!

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love it!

Cant wait to see your pics from your big day.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wowzers! I love those bridesmaids dresses - where did you find them?

Also really loving the vail - very 50's

Seeing all your pictures has definitly confirmed to me that I am 100% doing the right thing

x

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Hi, , i'm a big fan of all things vintage, our wedding is going to be very 60s based.

Have you heard of Lekeux Events or The Vintage Salon they do super vintage hair and make-up. The also do hen parties, photo shoots, burlesque classes and lots more, , ,

xx

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

My BM dresses were from Vivien of Holloway. I wanted to buy one too! I love her dresses but sadly I don't have the legs to don her creations.

Oh and you can also incorporate polka dots in other ways! (Sorry, do realise I'm flashing my wedding pics shamelessly!)

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Im sure the vintage salon were at a vintage wedding fayre i was at recently and they looked great, saw them doing some fab hair styles

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I would like to complement you on your excellent taste! I too am having a tea length dress. Mine is a vintage dress I bought from ebay. It's a lovely soft cotton lace and I will be getting it embellished (a light sage green sash and pink petticoats will be added). I have flashed it below this is what it looks like. I will also be wearing a bird-cage veil.

We are not sticking ridgedly to a theme, if there was a theme, I would say it was for the wedding to be old-fashioned!

We are marrying in a Registry Office, being driven there in a friend's Morris Minor, having my uncle do the formal photos and having the reception in a village hall. My BMs will be wearing floral Vivien of Holloway dresses, have wrist corsages and be carrying a vinatge clutch. Mum is growing roses for my bouquet.

We are serving our guests canapes/starters on arrival of triangular sandwiches and cava served in saucer-style champagne glasses. The main course is stew/casserole and the (chocolate wedding) cake will be pudding.

I am making the decorations myself- including 50 metres of mis-matched fabric bunting-( have cut out 100 out of 150 triangles- takes ages!), mis-matched vases and jugs for flowers. We will be filling them with flowers from Mum's garden and bulking these up with ones from the florists, but we will be doing our own arranging. I have made placecards by sticking coloured tape and sewing buttons onto plain placecards.

The best thing about our wedding is the 50s rock n roll band we are hiring, we have heard them before and they rock!

My advice pick and choose which ever 50s style things you like! You could make/buy polka dot bunting and place cards. You could tie plain white napkins with polka dot ribbon, the sky is the limit. I will say that polka dot fabric is quite cheap to buy (compared to florals) so you could make some things yourself, if you can sew!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Knitting_vixen, I LOVE your dress!!!!

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I am so loving all your wonderful ideas.

I have never been so excited! My FH is going to think I have gone crazy for Vintage!

Definitly liking the idea of polkadot bunting. I was going to completly miss out decorating the place, but I will definitly look into that.

I spent all last night on the Vivian of Holloway /What Katie Did /Hellbunny websites. I can't believe I never knew such places existed! I can see me blowing the budget on a lot of cool things now

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

I would have loved to go all out 50s vintage but H2B was not feeling it. Its much more my thing so I gave in. Going to a burlesque club for my hen do though so gonna go mad for that instead!

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I have mentioned it on a number of occaision, and he isnt quite feeling it just yet.

I am set on my dress and he cant know about that part anyway.

Just hoping to get other 50's tie in bits too.

I am definitly haveing a polkadot cake though!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I have a cousin who lived the 50s, all their friends lived the 50s, their wedding was amazing, their london flat was incredible!!!! The guests were all dressed up to the nines in 50s gear, rockabillys the lots, their cars are their own true cars.

The bride got pulled over by the cops for the cadillac didnt have a recognisable number plate... she wore the most amaing gold gown.....and I sang an elvis ballad at the church...... bloody brilliant.

Dilly, I love your boots btw...... but i'll stick with my red patent DMs lolol..

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics