Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

beccak
Beginner September 2014

6 weeks to find something old, borrowed & blue. Ideas please?

beccak, 21 of July of 2014 at 22:32 Posted on Planning 0 10

I had been planning to wear my grandmother's necklace, which would have covered old & borrowed, but it didn't go with my dress. I've now bought all of my jewellery and accessories.

What are you all having for your old, borrowed & blue items? There's a tiny pale blue bow on the underwear I'm wearing but I don't really think it counts. I have no idea what to borrow, and from who, nor can I think of anything old that I can wear/have on me!

Help please!

10 replies

Latest activity by Mrslizziew2be, 23 of July of 2014 at 17:12
  • alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk
    Rockstar November 2014
    alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Mine aren't super exciting. I'm borrowing a bracelet from my mom and her auntie gave her a little swallow brooch on her wedding day which will go under my dress as something old. I've got a blue bow on my underwear too so that will be something blue and I guess new could be my dress or headband xx

• Curlysuzie
    Beginner September 2014
    Curlysuzie ·
    • Hide content

I have these for my something blue...

I don't know what I'm having for my old and borrowed though! X

• Hmcx
    Beginner July 2014
    Hmcx ·
    • Hide content

I haven't really thought about it. I know my rainbow club shoes have a little blue stone underneath, but that would be sorted. My friend did sAy I could borrow her Swarovski bracelet but I'd be too scared in case I lose it.

What about a veil or something for your hair could you borrow something for that?

• K
    Beginner October 2014
    katie80uk ·
    • Hide content

My new is my dress etc

My old is my nanas earrings, she passed away a few years ago and gave me some lovely pearl earrings she used to wear

My blue is my garter, bought from ebay and its gorgeous

My borrowed is my mums necklace or my friends veil, havent decided yet

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the ideas! I already have necklace, bracelet, hair pins & side tiara and veil (and don't wear earrings) so anything to do with jewellery/accessories is out.

I know my sister was given a sixpence before her wedding so I may ask to borrow that. The first birthday present that my H2B bought me (10 years ago) was a blue topaz pendant so I wonder if I could somehow attach that into my dress.... don't really want it on my bouquet as it's all pink. That would be old & blue.

I'm also going to ask my mum if she can find any pretty little white hankies at home; I know I definitely used to have them when I was younger, embroidered with my initial (possibly in blue) so if she can I could put that in (down the top of?!) my dress as it might actually come in handy!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong here ladies, that the "borrowed" is supposed to come from a happily married woman to add to your luck?

Using your blue topaz sounds like a lovely idea, as do the hankies.

Other things I've seen/ heard suggested are:

Paint bottom of your shoes with blue nail polish. (Or, my simpler solution, just paint your toenails blue!)

Borrow a hankie from whomever is walking you down the aisle before you go in - also solves tears (you seem to have that covered though)

My personal list is:

Old: my engagement ring

New: Take your pick, but let's say my dress

Borrowed: My mother's marcasite watch, happens to be heart-shaped straps but was a gift to her for her 21st

Blue: Struggling a bit here but will probably do something with my garter

Sixpence: 1874 Victorian sixpence

• P
    Beginner
    PatrickSteve ·
    • Hide content

It become difficult to choose these things because sometimes what you borrow not go/ match with your new and this way bride struggles a lot to prepare her old, borrow, new and blue. We know this thing that something old is the symbol of continuity and meant to represent the link with her own family and the past, for this a bride can select anything from her mother’s or grandmother’s wardrobe like handkerchief ,scarf, sixpence penny or can choose to wear the same wedding gown. Something new represents good luck and can be anything i.e. shoes, wedding flowers, wedding ring, and hairpiece. Something Borrowed is to represent that bride’s friends and family will always be there in the future and for that she can borrow anything from her friends like necklace, earring .Something Blue in ancient times is the symbol of faithfulness, purity and loyalty for this she can choose blue nail polish or garter.

• RebeccaC
    RebeccaC ·
    • Hide content

Hi - I make hair pins and I have designed 'A little Something Blue' collection. All items come with a gorgeous message card and are presented in a gift box. I have sold several hair pins.

You can simply choose your something blue item.

Here is the link to the page on my site:

• RebeccaC
    RebeccaC ·
    • Hide content

Hi - I make hair pins and I have designed 'A little Something Blue' collection. All items come with a gorgeous message card and are presented in a gift box. I have sold several hair pins.

You can simply choose your something blue item.

Here is the link to the page on my site:

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

With 38 days to go I really don't have anything, my mum hasn't mentioned it at all. New will be my whole outfit but that's it... This has made me think, maybe I need to chat to my mum!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics