Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner

60 guests?!

bobby2shoes, 11 October, 2010 at 10:45 Posted on Planning 0 24

Hi All

I'm new to hitched...palnning our wedding for March 2012 and been engaged 5 months.

Just looking for reassurance from anybody who may have had or having a smaller wedding....is 60 guests enough? (We both have small families)

Thanks

24 replies

Latest activity by VikingPrincess, 11 October, 2010 at 21:50
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I believe that as long as you have the bride and groom, two witnesses and a registrar, that's all you need.

Sixty is plenty if that's all you want!

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

We are inviting 60-70 and it doesn't feel small to me! It feels like plenty.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

60 Guests is an average amount for most weddings. Not small by any means.

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is even smaller at 40 love. Both our families are small and with just our closest friends this was the right amount for us. We are inviting a further 50/60 to the evening.

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

We had 75 at ours and it was just perfect. We had everyone we wanted there. It certainly didnt feel like a small wedding!

Nat

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

We are only having 60 maybe a few more but l wouldnt say it was small - I think its a nice number. x

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

We are having 50-55 in the day and 100 in the evening. I also worried this was too small, but to be honest if we bumped it up it would be with people who didnt mean so much to us.

Keeping the numbers lowers and strictly to the closest family and friends has meant we also have more budget to put on a really great day for everyone.

I think the quaility and not the quantity counts!!

• B
    Beginner
    bobby2shoes ·
    • Hide content

Wow...thank you all for your quick and kind responses.

I guess I am just a born worrier!!

Thanks again x x

• ruth23
    Beginner September 2011
    ruth23 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having 50 at the ceremony with another 50 in the evening. Smiley smile

• alexxinness
    Beginner September 2008
    alexxinness ·
    • Hide content

I had onlt had 50 people then 150 to the evening We kept numbers small to the day mainly to save money and i havent had any bad reports the wine flowed the atmosphere was relaxed and evryone got on really well. I think 60 is plenty to have hun we had long rectangle tables that were shaped like an E but with 4 legs is that makes sense lol and i think this helped eveyone to scoalise a bit more as well

xxxx

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I am only having 50-55 people and no extra evening guests as we only want our nearest and dearest there, no random cousins, parents friends etc etc just people who are are special to us

• B
    Beginner
    bobby2shoes ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply!

I understand what you mean about having the tables shaped like an 'e' and that does sound like a good idea so I will bear that in mind.

We are only having friends and family to the entire thing (not going to bother asking work colleagues etc) so was thinking of getting married at 4pm then having the food/speeches at 6pm then drinks and dancing after. Thought this way there would be less chance of people getting bored and wondering off!

Only other option was to get married abroad but this did not go down too well with our families!

• B
    Beginner
    bobby2shoes ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for your reply

We could make up the numbers with distant relatives, work colleagues (that we don't really like spending time with at work never mind our wedding!) and get my parents to ask their friends but we just can't justify doing this.

I think if I could find a venue with a adequately sized room i wouldn't worry half as much. Everythig we have looked at so far has catered for excess of 100 guests and i worry with such a small party that we would look lost.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

We're having about 40 for the ceremony, then another 40 for the evening, so 60 isn't that small.

Oh, and:

IT'S YOUR WEDDING AND YOU CAN HAVE ANYTHING YOU WANT!*

*Budget permitting, of course.

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

We are having 50 to the day and 100 at night, it's limited by our venue but in all honesty, when we went through the guest list there were only just over 50 people we would want to be there to celebrate with us anyway ?

• D
    Beginner
    Doodle ·
    • Hide content

We had 30 at the registry off at 11:30, 34 for for the meal and then another 30ish in the evening - went on till 12:30 and by no means felt small or boring,.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep! We had 65 total - no extra evening guests. It was perfect! ? Meant everyone we wanted was there for the whole thing and no worries about late running. And that figure included a few +1s that we'd never met until the day.

I wouldn't have changed it for anything - it was a very intimate day.

• Chez2k
    Beginner October 2010
    Chez2k ·
    • Hide content

Of course it is enough. We got married on 1st october and had 67 guests 10 of which were children. It iwas just the righ amount.

The room we had for our wedding breakfast was sectioned off so it was the right size and the room looked lovely and full.

60 will be fab.

Enjoy your planning xx

• E
    Beginner August 2011
    emmaloulou80 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we are having around 50 guests in the day time, so a total of 60 with the wedding party. I think this is plenty, as we both have hardly any family....other half would invite lots more if he had his way, but luckily this is about as many as our church will hold comfortably so I'm getting away with that one!! We will probably have another 40 or so to the evening do. I do feel though that the church will look full, but worry that our reception may look a bit empty, but I'm sure the way the tables are set out will make a difference.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Hi

60 guests seems loads to me, we are having 15! Wanted a small intimate do and thats exactly what we are having. You should only have the people you want there, it will be more special than inviting people to make up the numbers x

• G
    Beginner September 2011
    gigglerm ·
    • Hide content

We are having 35 people max, getting married at 4.30 then having the wedding breakfast which hopefully will last into the evening, then i bought my wedding dress and my sister told me that i really need to have an evening reception to show the dress off more - i panicked for a day thinking do i, don't i then when i thought about it we don't want that plus we wouldnt have time and the venue doesnt have the space!!!

I am happy with my small do and we will certainly make the most of it!!!

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

We are having 40 to the day and an extra 20-30 in the evening ? and that includes everyone i want there

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what I'm doing - everyone who will be invited, is invited for everything. It'll be somewhere around 60 people if everyone can come. So many venues I spoke to had quite high minimum numbers for the evening do though (120+) which I guess is where some of the anxiety about not having 'enough' people comes from.

I'm so glad to hear that worked well for you GeordieBarbie, it's what I'm hoping will happen on my day too!

• D
    Beginner
    Daff19 ·
    • Hide content

We are having 40 with a possible five or six extra in the evening but I know what you mean about finding a suitable venue.

I fell in love with the place we are having ours even before we planned the wedding but I looked about just in case I was missing something even better. Ours is being held in a private home that they rent out for a limited number of weddings. It might be worth looking for something like that.

In general though if those are the people that are important to you then what is the point in inviting others just as fillers?

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Hi and warm welcome to hitched!!!

Don't worry, I was wondering the same and we have 45!!!! With 75 for the evening! We have a small family (well, i do) and friends and relatives all over the world... And when I say 45 I mean including the Bridal Party! We are getting married at a stately home and having the reception there too.

Good luck with planning and don't worry - it's your day, as many guests as you want!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics