Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Braw Wee Chanter

80's style food ideas purlease!

Braw Wee Chanter, 16 August, 2009 at 15:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

I'm throwing a John Hughes movie night on Friday and want to organise some grub. In keeping with the theme I want to give the food an 80s twist. So far there's:

Hedgehog cocktails stick cheese/onion thing (only I'll be using decent cheese, red onion and olives).

Cheesy poofs.

Crappy raspberry ripple, individual mousses, which were all the rage when I was a kid.

Sweet bowl with Curly Wurlies, Wispas, Black Jacks, Fruit Salads, Parma Violets, Dib Dabs etc.

What else? I'd like to add something hot if possible and more savoury dishes.

x

14 replies

Latest activity by Braw Wee Chanter, 17 August, 2009 at 03:34
  • Hurtle Turtle
    Beginner June 2008
    Hurtle Turtle ·
    • Hide content

Hot Dog Sausages on sticks

Vol-au-Vents

Quiche

Party Rings

French Fancies

Soggy Sandwiches

Iced Gems - still love these!

Not sure if these are more 70s than 80s but Ive had them at many a birthday party when I was kid in the 80s

• B
    bobbi ·
    • Hide content

Sausages on sticks

Jelly/Ice-cream

French Fancies

Crisps

• B
    bobbi ·
    • Hide content

Cheese and pineapple

chocolate rice krispie cakes

• Luthien
    Beginner June 2007
    Luthien ·
    • Hide content

Prawn cocktails? You could have a lettuce leaf topped with some prawn cocktail. Easy to pick up and eat. Smoked salmon and cream cheese pinwheels - made with white bread of course! ?

A blancmange in the shape of a rabbit with green jell around the edge to look like grass

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_ring

We used to have chicken kievs far more often then than we ever do now, Mum used to make them and they really were delicious - I may have to put them on the menu this week. If you can't be faffed to make them, mini kievs? Do they even do them now? PMSL you could do a Bernard Matthews range, turkey drummer anyone? Booodiful.

• B
    bobbi ·
    • Hide content

Black forest gateau/mini trifles

prawn cocktail

twiglets

vol au vants/Quiche

Arctic Roll

can't think of anything else

• B
    bobbi ·
    • Hide content

God I loved a party ring takes me right back!

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content

Brilliant, thanks guys. All I kept coming up with was sweet stuff yet I still forgot party rings and iced gems!

Does anyone else remember Super Whip, a kind of instant whipped cream in a tub? My brother suggested a bag of 'broken biscuits' like mum used to buy from Kwik Save 😢 Every, single bloody one tasted of custard creams!

Prawn cocktail on a leaf is very doable . And I think Iceland sell mini-kievs. I used to live on Turkey Drummer sandwiches when I was about 14, I think I'd hurl just to look at one now though.

And i can make a version of that evil blancmange rabbit. I've got a cat jelly mould, I can make up some jelly, whizz it with some condensed milk and get cat blancmangey mousse!

Should be a great night, I've got this box set I Love 80s Movies.

Oh! What about drinks? Cream soda? Dandelion and Burdock?

x

• Evil Yoda
    Beginner June 2005
    Evil Yoda ·
    • Hide content

I remember those raspberry ripple mousses. Can't believe you can still buy them!! I loved Super WHip too!

Drinks: Babycham, Snowball

• penguin1977
    Beginner
    penguin1977 ·
    • Hide content

Smash! I used to love powdered mash potato with cheese and salad. Very bizarre.

Canned fruit salad with tip top?

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

I think I used to drink Vimto in the 80s.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

Some great ideas here.

You could get some ice poles (pops?) Can you still get Cremola Foam?

• Luthien
    Beginner June 2007
    Luthien ·
    • Hide content

Home-made, grown-up, slush puppies - crush ice in the blender and add raspberry liqueur, white rum, a splash of cranberry juice and lime juice to taste.

I still drink cream soda, dandelion and burdock, and vimto ?

Sounds like a fab. evening you have planned.

You could offer some pot noodles too ? There was an 80s episode of the supersizers on not so long ago, if you're still looking for ideas, you could see if it's still on iPlayer.

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, really appreciated. Vimto makes me a bit ?

Just back from the supermarket armed with mini kievs, raspberry ripple meece and French Fancies. I also bought a Wispa and a bottle of Dandelion and Burdock for research purposes

Mrs M, what on earth is Cremola Foam. It sounds incredibly 80s chic!

Luthien, I'm well on for the grown up slush puppies. It should be a great night. I'm a big John Hughes fan and <two sheds icon> I've got a cinema projector and a big white wall</two sheds icon> so when I say movie night I really mean it!

Eep, H just reminded me that the Breville came out in the 80s! I've got one at the back of the cupboard so I'll definitely knock up a couple of them. I remember cheesy beans or spam. My mum once made corned beef hash toasties with left overs and it was actually gorgeous!

x

• Luthien
    Beginner June 2007
    Luthien ·
    • Hide content

Weirdly, before I logged on and saw your post today, Mr L. and I joined the Tesco DVD club and had been looking up John Hughes films to rent.

ETA: My Great Aunt had a Breville and a Soda Stream. I thought she was so cool.

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Blimey a Breville AND a Soda Stream?! She must have been minted as well as awesomely cool!

I didn't know Tesco has a DVD rental club. I've just signed up for the free trial the first four movies on my list are all Muppet movies, followed by Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I am officially a child.

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics