Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner December 2010

9 carat vs 18 carat

car822499, 1 September, 2010 at 22:47 Posted on Planning 0 17

I've been looking at wedding rings today (very exciting!!) and found a few that fit with my unusual shaped ER. However, one that I really like is only 9 carat white gold whilst my ER is 18 carat. In the majority of jewellers they have said that I would need an 18ct WR but one jewellers said it didn't matter too much if I got a 9ct WR as long as I don't have a lot of alkaline (sweat) on my hands or whack it about a lot. Can anyone advise on this please???

Thanks,

Car. x

17 replies

Latest activity by car822499, 2 September, 2010 at 18:59
  • debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

well mine are yellow gold...but my ER is 18ct, so the WR was also ordered 18. With the yellow gold tho, i think there way be a slight colour difference!

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

I think one is softer that the other too.

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Apparently, the 18ct would wear down the 9ct (thats what I was told when I was looking for mine so not sure if its true).

I had a 9ct ER and an 18ct WRbut have since lost my ER so don't know if that was the case or not. Although now I do have a WR an Eternity ring both in 18ct so it should be fine.

Nat

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Gold is a soft metal and needs other metals added to it to make it harder. The number indicates how much gold so 9ct is softer than 18 ct. In theory a 9ct ring would rub against an 18ct ring and wear it away over time. I can't wear a 9ct ring as it brings on my eczma so mine is 18ct.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

18ct gold is softer that 9ct because it contains more gold (soft metal) and less copper and silver (harder metals). 9ct worn next to 18ct will wear away the 18ct - eventually - but probably not for 20 years or so. So it depends whether you'll be wearing your WR and ER together all the time, and how often you get your hands wet, what you do for a living etc. ALL gold jewellery will wear to some extent. Most jewellers recommend you go for the same quality, but you can get away with mixing them. The colours are slightly different though, so it's more aesthetics than wearing out really.

• atlonglast
    Beginner November 2010
    atlonglast ·
    • Hide content

Just like Jude says. 18ct is softer then 9ct, so you risk damaging your ER. x

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

WEES about the softness of the 9ct ring. Why don't you get in touch with smooch rings (Laura might be around later), and they would have the perfect design (and quality) to fit with your ER.

IMO - 9ct always reminds me of Elizabeth Duke (@ Argos) or H Samuel...no life long quality Smiley sad

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

We opted for platinum as you have to keep getting white gold polished up. I'd go for 18ct personally, if funds permit, it won't get damaged as easily.

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

The Carat rating is effectively a purity rating. With 24 Carat being pure gold. And gold is a soft metal, like lead. So the higher the number the softer it is, but also the more pure the gold is. But because gold is so soft its mixed with other metals to make it more durable (and bring the price down)

In Eastern Europe a lot of gold is 14 Carat, but I do own an antique 24 Carat bangle and it is very, very beaten up. Even though is thick and heavy you can cut it with your fingernail.

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your help. I was reading up on the net and it does say about 18 being softer than 9 although some jewellers have told me different. It's whether I can get the ring I like in 18 carat as the shop (H Samuels - sorry Tahdah! ?) only has it in 9 carat. However, I think Ernest Jones has a similar one in 18 as they are owned by the same company.

I think I may have to continue my search. Ho hum.

Car. x

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

Hi Car, If you want to send me a picture of the ring you like, I can give you a quote for 18ct and palladium.

Laura x

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content

Oooo, fab. Thanks Laura. Ermmm...how do I email you?? He he. Not emailed through here before.

Thank youuuu.

Car. x

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

Happy to help ?

Probably best to email from your normal account I think, or just stick your pic on here. If you have the product number I can search for it on the H Samuel website if it's easier for you.

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content

But what's your email address though. Maybe I'm just not looking properly ?

Car .x

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

Sorry ?

Thought I'd put it on my first reply, one of those days today! It's **@***********.****

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content

He he. No probs. Email sent.

Car. x

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I have an 18ct Engagement ring too and was wondering what to have for my wedding ring.

What's Palladium? I know nothing about it, how does it compare to white gold?

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content

I honestly don't know. Isn't is a theatre in London???? ? From what I can gather it might be similar to platinum, it is in the price department anyway! Sorry I couldn't help further.

Car. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics