Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

katieJ2b
Beginner October 2016

9 year old bridesmaid

katieJ2b, 30 of November of 2015 at 14:23 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi everyone,

Me again! So I've turned my attention to what my girls will be wearing on the big day. I have three adults and my younger cousin, who will be 9 by the wedding next October.

I didn't want to spend a fortune on bridesmaid dresses and was initially going to look on the high street and have three adults in matching and the young one in a white/ivory flower girl dress, however, my young BM has told me that she isn't a little girl anymore and doesn't want a poufy dress and wants to look like the big girls! Arrggh!

Has anyone else had adult bridesmaids and younger bridesmaids (apart from flower girls) in different dresses? Can anyone share any images of everyone lined up together? I'm worrying that it would look odd? I know I could get a traditional range like Mark Lesley / Dessy and get the same colour and material but in different designs - but I didn't really want to pay their prices Smiley sad

Any suggestions and photos would be amazing!

Thanks so much in advance Smiley smile xx

19 replies

Latest activity by Lapland2015, 1 of December of 2015 at 11:51
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I have no bridesmaids however I'm sure you could buy your adult bridesmaids dresses and then get what she considers to be a grown up dress to tone with them. She doesn't have to be in the same dress or even the same colour. Maybe the same fabric different style etc. have you had any ideas for your grown up bridesmaids yet

you will probably find she wants something she considers grown up and a bridesmaid dress rather than flower girl dress which isn't the same as what you consider an adult dress.

why not have a look online with her and ask her to show you what she is thinking of.

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure I can help too much as I have 2 BMs who are my much younger sisters and they will be 17 and 13 at the time of the wedding.

I then have 3 flower girls who are my OH's nieces who are 7 and 10 and then my younger cousin of 18 months. I then have a page boy who is 3.5.

The BM's are having Mori Lee bridesmaids dresses and the flower girls will all wear the same dresses that are made by a company called Little Giants Flower girls.

I've attached a pic for you in case this helps. The BM dresses will be royal blue and the sashes of the flower girl dresses will be changed to Royal Blue as well so it all ties in but they are slightly different due to their ages.

9 is a funny age though as she wants to be seen as a grown up but it could be a risk of looking a bit odd if you have her in an adult style dress? If that makes any sense?

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

I've got 4 bridesmaids - 2 adults, a 12 year old and a 9 year old. I ordered the adults dresses before the 2 younger ones came on board, and although it comes in junior sizes, after much deliberating, I decided the colour and style was too old for the 9 year old. It looks stunning on the 12 year old though.

So the 9 year old is in an ivory dress, with a sash the same colour as the older girls' dresses I don't have any pictures, but I think they all look great together.

I considered every possible option before I made my choice but I think it was the best one.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I'm looking at dresses for my younger bridesmaids too, they're 5, 9, 12 and 13 but the 9 year old is quite tall for her age. I always wanted ivory for my younger bridesmaids but am a bit worried about how it will look (the 13 year old is nearly 5ft) so I'm going to be looking at different dresses as well as Ivory, I might even end up with three different styles on the day but one thing is for certain, I won't be spending loads of money on them!

Have you looked at BHS? They have a junior bridesmaid section with more grownup styles (but not too grown up!). I would agree with the other ladies, it doesn't have to match exactly, just be the same colour or a tone that matches the older girls.

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsFRtobe ·
    • Hide content

I've just posted my wedding report, I had the 'big' bridesmaids in sage green coast 'allure' dresses and the 'little' bridesmaids in monsoon ivory flower girl dresses, the little boys wore ivory waistcoats and cravats. I'm biased but i think they blended beautifully Smiley smile

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, she's told me that she doesn't want an ivory dress, she wants to look like the big girls (obviously not in the same style as them as that wouldn't be appropriate) but I was just thinking in my head would it look odd with three in the same dress and then her in something only slightly different??

The junior ones in BHS are great - although they hardly have any on there now! Does anyone know whether they usually have matching colours in the adults range? That could work if I could get all their dresses from one place in the same colour.

I wish she would still want to be a little girl! Who knew that a 9 year old would be the most demanding out of everyone! Smiley smile

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have two granddaughters so would fully expect her to be the most demanding lol. What colour are you thinking of for your adult bridesmaids?

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

I think she would out-do my best impression of a bridezilla! ha ha!

I've just starting thinking outside of the box - I'm still working on envisioning things in a different way! I'm going for a neutral colour palette of shades of ivory and champagne with hints of dark purple (think plum or aubergine - not Cadbury purple) with a bit a gold glitter thrown in in a tasteful way! (I'm hoping you can all visualise this in the best way!!)

I'm hoping to have my older girls in a neutral colour, champagne or light gold? - but depends on what I end up having as I haven't sorted my own dress yet!!

I've just had a quick look on Monsoon and found a few dresses with gold sequins and sparkle that I know she would LOVE!

This one is my favourite, but not sure if she would approve!https://uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_3.3.10/7135003237

https://uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_3/8123432643

https://uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_3/8123673247

If I were to go for an adult dress similar to this....http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/d704/?color=palomino&colorid=63#.Vlxw0NInxD8 (FYI just randomly picked this dress and shade) do you think it would all 'go'?!

No point speaking to OH about these things as he gives me a blank look like I am speaking to him in Russian!!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I love the adult one and I think my 8 year old granddaughter would like the younger dresses you chose. I've seen a younger one on amazon I think that has one shoulder and a thin strap on the other side. It had glitter too. Let me see if I can find it. Lots of colour options.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Oh and going on my granddaughter if you get her shoes with a small heel she will be happy to wear a shorter dress to show off the shoes!

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh, good idea! Thanks Jayne. I need to play this tactfully with her don't I?! ha ha. Not sure whether my aunt (her Mum) will allow her to wear heels...although she can wrap all of her family around her little finger to get her own way! ha ha.

Feeling more positive now, I was really hoping to not spend a fortune and still have them all looking good together! These girls are going to be more tricky to dress than myself for sure!x

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I bought my granddaughter those spotty flamenco shoes. They have a tiny heel and she loves them. After all they are a party shoe so not something she's going to wear all the time. I would get your older bridesmaids first then find options for her to tone in. If theirs is one shoulder hers will tone her in if it's one shoulder and a strap. That said I bought both granddaughters a dress where the whole top was sequinned and they love them.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Just speaking for myself here but as a child I always wanted to be a bridesmaid... I would of felt total gyped if I got ditch to flower girl (which I would take a white or ivory flower girl dress to be) at 9 year old - aren't flower girls in puffy white dresses meant to little?

I dont even know when this 'flower girl' as a seperate entity trend started, everyone I know in my age range and older who where children in the bridal party just wore mini versions of the bridesmaid dresses

as for the heels, can she walk in them? if so then there no reason to not allow them, Ive wore heels since I started dance classes at 5 year old by 9 I was a pro wearing them however I do have friend in their 30s that have still never walked in heels ? but if your not sure maybe take her to try some on and walk around the store in... you dont want sprained ankles on the day

those dresses to me look very young and childish for a 9 year old shes pretty much a pre-teen and will want to be treat less like a baby, also sequins can be very itchy and uncomfortable especially near the armpits

this website does more grow up style dresses for kids in lots of colours: http://www.lightinthebox.com/ns/j8_v1014t2+j10_v1015t2/floor-length_v1282t0/junior-bridesmaid-dresses_c1987#nohash

if your going with dessy for the adults this one might go well (you can order it to be made in different colours):

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that link, although I'd rather not order online for her, she really needs to try them on as she's so skinny and so tall (I'm sure that's going to be another headache!)

I only put the link of the Dessy dresses as something I imagined - as I can't afford these. Hoping I'll find something similar on the high street!!

• K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

My 3 bridesmaids were 14,10 and 4 and all wore the same dress from Monsoon.

I did find it difficult to get dresses for their ages but luckily the 14 year old is pretty much the same size as my now 11 year old. My daughter was very precise about the style and length so I would perhaps order a few styles and get your bridesmaid to try them on if possible.

Monsoon have some gorgeous dresses but as someone has said, they can look a bit young. I was lucky and found a simple rose coloured dress that was ideal for all the girls. If you have time you can wait till their new season range is out and you may find something suitable.

My 2 older girls had a slight heeled shoe from bhs. Rainbow club also do a pretty heeled shoe albeit more expensive.

Good luck with your planning x

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Kilner! Do you happen to have any pictures of your dresses that you wouldn't mind sharing?

• K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

Here you go Katie...

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

Ahh thank you! These are gorgeous! xx

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

This reminds me of when I was a bridesmaid at 9! I can sympathise with her as I hated my bridesmaid dress and accessories as I felt I looked like a lil kid and at 9 you think your almost an adult! I wore a different dress to the adult bridesmaid but the same colour and it went fine ? bhs have a sale on at the moment and have some nice girls dresses

http://www.bhs.co.uk/en/bhuk/category/wedding-1020484/bridesmaid-3988957

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics