Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Curious September 2019

9K white gold wedding band with 18K engagement ring?

Missus_Mop, 23 of September of 2018 at 10:44 Posted on Planning 0 2

Starting to get a feel for what is around regarding wedding bands and now thinking that a band that will match my engagement ring (i.e. 18k white gold, also fairtrade) is very much going to break the budget. In fact, it's just not affordable at all, if we want to spend our allocated budget on the day and minimoon.

I read that having lower karat gold with a higher karat can wear the metal of the other, because it's softer? I just wondered if anyone had this issue, or have others got wedding bands that don't 'match' the engagement ring without a problem?

H2B wants a decent looking band - I'm actually happy with my engagement ring and don't care as much about the band, haha. But we would like matching ones

Can anyone advise? Or recommend good, affordable retailers, also? Thanks! x

2 replies

Latest activity by Paula @ Ollievision, 29 of September of 2018 at 16:55
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

They definitely wear each other down. Though two rings of the same gold will also wear each other down. The wear on my rings is clear to see and I take mine off in bed, always have.

• M
    Curious September 2019
    Missus_Mop ·
    • Hide content

Thank Paula...so it really is better to get the same karat gold if you can afford it?

Maybe we could just get really cheap bands for the ceremony, and save up for better ones after the wedding.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, only just seen this. If you're on a tight budget it might be better to avoid white gold because it needs regular re-plating. It's a rather dull metal, especially in 9 carat. The bright silver look comes from rhodium plating which wears off.

If I were buying now on a budget I'd go for stainless steel rings. They look like white gold. They are tough, don't need plating and amazing value!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics