Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsMcG
Beginner November 2004

A Big Favour To Ask - First Dance Songs

MrsMcG, 6 February, 2011 at 14:53 Posted on Planning 0 13

It's ages since I've been on WP, I've been more of a BTer since we got married in 2004 and now I only lurk on there, so I hope no one minds me popping over to ask a favour. I'm a freelance writer and I'm considering writing an article on the Top 10 first dance songs.
Would you mind telling me your first dance songs so that I can compile a list?
And I'll also be working into the article how some brides and grooms may have songs that mean a lot to them, but they aren't suitable first dance songs, or they might have been limited by what their band can play. So if you have time and/or inclination and your first dance song wasn't your first choice would you mind mentioning that too?
Thanks hugely in advance and I hope this doesn't breech any forum rules. Does anyone know if I need to check with forum moderators on here to post this kind of thing? It's just that the article isn't definite yet, but I need to get on with research if I'm doing it, so I didn't want to make a big fuss about it. It's for an online magazine as well, if that makes a difference.

13 replies

Latest activity by thecakeylady, 9 February, 2011 at 14:10
  • Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We're having "Stand by Me" by Ben E King.

If it helps... we had such trouble deciding. We both love music but have very different music tastes and we were each vetoing the other's suggestions! So we decided we should go for something very classic rather than a contemporary song. Still couldn't decide, and while i don't mind a bit of cheese my H2B was very concerned to avoid anything at all cheesy. Then one day he came home and said, "what about Stand by Me?" and I just thought, YES. It suits us perfectly as it's not too overstated, won't date and won't require any complicated dance moves!

Also, we're having a DJ rather than a band.

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

We are having The Book of Love by Peter Gabriel, as we both love the song and the lyrics and it still gives me goose bumps when i listen to it. We had not really considered any others untill h2b pointed out it nealy 5 mins long and he did not want to be center of attension for that long, but i vetoed any others and said we shall dance togethar for the first 2 min then get everyone else to join us!

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

We are having 'By Your Side' by Sade. We both like the lyrics.

But "our" song has always been Counting Crows 'Accidentally in Love' but it didn't really seem to fit as a first dance song!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Our song is 1 Thing by Amerie but not suitable for a first dance

H2B suggested Sweet Love by Nazlyn (goes from very lovely into heavy drum and bass....) but again not very suitable!

So we settled on Jack Johnson Better Together, this song is nice and relaxed and says all we want it to...

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

OH picked our first song b4 he even proposed! he is in a band and they do a cover of Al Green's "Lets stay together" and it became 'our song'

they planned to record it specially to play for our first dance but i think they are now planning on the lead singer/guitarist (who also happend to be BM) and the drummer to actually do it live!!

they had a gig last satand it sent a shiver down my spine when they played it knowing its going to be our first dance. my very pregnane friend was actually in tears!!

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Our first dance will be 'You make my dreams' by Hall & Oates. As a couple we didn't have 'a song' but when we saw the movie 500 days of summer we both just laughed and thought it'd be cool to dance too. Were not the mushy smushy type so wanted something more upbeat but not too energetic!

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

Our song is Stand By Me by Ben E King but not really for any romantic reasons - we went on a Valentine's mini cruise and they had a Temptations cover band who were doing all that kind of music, we'd been together for about 18 months and didn't have a song yet and I was asking OH what he thought it should be and that was the next song that was on. He was drunk and started singing it to me and now it always makes me smile ?

For the wedding though, we didn't want to have a slow cheesy first dance, we're not really romantic at all and it just wouldn't be us. Ages ago I managed (whilst drunk!) to do the dance from Men in Black without falling over and OH thought it was excellent, and no mean feat seeing as I'm ridiculously clumsy! So for our first dance we're going to have a Will Smith medley - starting with 'Just the Two of Us' to make people think we're having a nice song, then moving into a perfectly choreographed 'Men in Black' complete with sunglasses, and finishing off with 'Boom Shake the Room' to get everyone onto the dance floor with us lol

should be a giggle, can't wait to see my grandma's face!!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Our 1st dance is Fly Me To The Moon - I've always knowwn that I wanted it to be my wedding song ever since I was a little girl, I just had to convince the OH

Our song is Mr Brightside by the Killers - might have that as our 2nd song for a laugh

• MrsMcG
    Beginner November 2004
    MrsMcG ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. These are perfect.

Our connection is terrible at the moment, so apologies if I don't get back on for a while.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Our first dance is Always and Forever by Luther Vandross

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

We have yet to decide firmly on our first dance song….we first danced on our first ‘date’ to Harry Connick Jnr ‘It had to be You’ - as one of the things we clicked about when we first met was When Harry Met Sally…but my brother had it for his first dance last year! We still may go for it though!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I wanted "Rome wasn't built in a day" by Morcheeba but my best friend always says it's hers and her hubbies song so I thought it might pee her off if we had that, so we are having "Make you feel my love" by Adele, it has become our song since we decided on it for our wedding.

• MrsMcG
    Beginner November 2004
    MrsMcG ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone. I'll add them to the list.

• T
    Beginner July 2008
    thecakeylady ·
    • Hide content

We found it hard to choose our song - when we had got together - our first slow dance was to westlife's tonight - but h2b wasn't having that as the 1st dance! Dido's - resting here with me was a special song to us both as we had a long distance relationship although it didn't seem right as a first dance. In the end we had Barbara Striesand & Bryan Adams - I've finally found someone.. as one of the first lines is.. It started over coffee... started out as friends - which is how we started.. hope this helps.. xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics