Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

daisymoo86
Beginner July 2016

A case of the green eyed monster?

daisymoo86, 28 of November of 2014 at 12:09 Posted on Planning 0 14

My friend who is my BM just got engaged whilst on holiday in Venice and I am really happy for her especially as we never thought it would happen (her OH has long said he doesn't believe in marriage).

But why does part of me feel jealous about it? Am I a really horrible selfish friend? I have no right to feel like this, so why do I!?

14 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousIvoryStationery129, 30 of November of 2014 at 22:32
  • lolapickle
    Beginner March 2015
    lolapickle ·
    • Hide content

Which part do you think you are feeling jealous of? The actual engagement or the fact it was in Venice? xx

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure entirely. And I feel like a horrible person for even admitting I feel a little jealous. I'm just not entirely sure why I feel like this :/

• lolapickle
    Beginner March 2015
    lolapickle ·
    • Hide content

Are your plans going as well as you hoped? Sometimes when things aren't going well in our lives/plans you feel a bit irrationally jealous. But (sorry to be harsh) it definitely is irrational! You can have fun talking weddings & plans together!

xx

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Nah, not horrible. A tad bridezilla, but we've all had those moments. Don't worry about it Smiley smile

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, bless you! I think its just your irrational brain thinking "but that's my thing"! I was a little jealous when my best friend got engaged even though I'd been desperate for them to get engaged for years, then my fella proposed less than a month later and we ended up getting married 3 months before them so then I felt guilty! We ended up both just being really happy for each other, and actually it's lovely having a friend going through all the planning at the same time. Don't worry, it'll pass and you can get excited together!

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

As the others have said, we have all been there and it does pass, and as one of the others put and I agree with you just think "that was my thing". One of the girls I know has been engaged for about 7 years and the never set any plans to get married, I got engaged and then a few months later they set a date and asked a mutual friend to be her MOH, and I had also asked the same friend to be my MOH, at first I was like, "what the..." but it didn't last long and now we often just talk wedding stuff to each other ?

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Mrs Shep - it is probably related to it being your 'thing' so now the focus will be on her engagement rather than yours. Also your wedding is quite a way off so maybe there is part of you that feels jealous she might now get married before you? Yes Bridezillaish but at least you recognise it is irrational and are dealing with it. It doesn't make you a horrible person. It makes you human and in touch with your feelings.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

When I was with my ex we tried for 4 years to start a fmaily and found he didn't work properly, so we used a donor. After I super-excitedly announced I was expecting our daughter, my sister got pregnant (unplanned) and so was his sister. Both due within a month of me. How DARE they steal my thunder!!!!

I got preganant again a year after her birth, and though at least I can do this one by myself and get all the attention. My sis lived not far from mum and I was miles away, so felt she got all the attention and help/bonding etc. Sis in law was always round her mum's, so I felt on my own. Sadly I lost this one.

We tried again, but had a real rough time of it, and during the months of trying sis fell for her second unplanned baby, and sis in law fell for number 4, so I was last, and again felt on my own and very green eyed. The youngest are all 10 now and it's lovely they're all the same age, but it was difficult swallowing it at the time.

A bit off topic, sorry, but I get where you're coming from. It's not just you doing the wedding thing now. Don't feel a bad person, you're really not (not that I know you ?), but once the novelty wears off things will settle down and you'll have fun chatting about things together.

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

My best friend got engaged 5 months after I did - I was so, so happy for her but then I thought, hang on, she's gonna totally steal my thing! I sent her a jokey/slightly not jokey text saying "don't you dare get married before me."

She's getting married the year after me, I don't know whether she would have planned that in any event but it made me feel better!! So if you're a bad person I must be 10 times worse ha ha!

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

As others say bit irrational my BM got engaged a few months after us - I was relieved - mainly as she was chief bridesmaidzilla and had some crazy ideas - as soon as she concentrated on her own I stopped getting hundreds of pictures/designs/ideas etc!

I actually love the fact they are getting married - we are both each other's BM and it's great - anything I buy/get for our wedding I ask her if she wants afterwards for hers so automatically sell it on and she gets a good deal/free - I'm a bargin hunter anyway and she's not so she knows she is saving money. It's working the other way too - she is lending us stuff she has bought for her wedding so we are both happy!

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your wise words! I think once she's actually back from Hols and we can chat about it I wont feel this way. I love that some of you are sharing/swapping/loaning wedding items, that's a brilliant idea! I love it!!

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Ah Marzipan, Im so glad you wrote that, I had a similar thing, OH's brother and his girlfriend fairly recently announced theyre due their 2nd child the day before our wedding and although Im so so happy for them my instant reaction was to be a bit sad/jealous/irrational basically...like you it didnt help that me n OH had been trying without any luck and we know we're gonna have some issues with conceiving, and also the fact that both our familys are small, but his is smaller than mine and I felt sad for him that he might not have his brother (who is also supposed to be best man) there...it lasted a good couple of days, I spoke to OH about it straight away because I felt guilty and horrible and like the worst human being on Earth but he was amazing, and he 'got it' and after a few days I was fine, yes I'll be sad if they cant make it, but we get a whole brand new niece or nephew to cuddle!! (I still feel like Im horrible if I think about my first reaction but you cant help how your emotions go sometimes)

To the OP, dont worry, as above, of course its a bit irrational, but we've (nearly) all been there about something like that in our lives, even if its not related to wedding planning. Have a few days to feel irrationally and bizzarely miffed, and then let it go, your days wont detract from each other if you dont let it, you'll probably end up having an ace time discussing plans with each other!!! At least you get to come and vent on here no matter how silly it seems!!

• L
    Beginner June 2015
    LuxuriousIvoryStationery129 ·
    • Hide content

I waited 6 years for my OH to propose and 3 months after he did, his sister got engaged as well. And she'd only been with her OH for 9 months. Serious green eyed monster feelings for me as well! Doesn't my OH love me as much as hers loves hers etc etc but after a while it all went away once I got into planning my own wedding!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics