Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

A couple of questions about invites

pandorasbox, 22 June, 2011 at 10:48 Posted on Planning 0 13

Firstly do you write the exact time your ceremony is meant to start at, or slightly earlier to ensure guests are not late? I have searched but opinions seem varied on this matter with lots saying you put the exact time and people will know and be early, and then others saying 15-30 mins ahead of ceremony start time. What are/did people here doing/do?

Secondly for an August 5th wedding next year, what deadline should I suggest for RSVPs to be returned by? My stationers suggests sending them out in April and I was thinking something like 1st June. I think this gives the guests lots of time to reply and to give me plenty of time to chase up late replies and get table plans, caterers etc sorted, but then someone else told me June was too early to expect a reply - what do you all think?

For evening invites the example I have suggests putting a time for the buffet - is this necessary?

Also our invites are folded cards, do you put 'evening invitation' on the front? Our example shows 'wedding invitation' even for just the evening only guests so I am a bit confused by that.

TIA

13 replies

Latest activity by Little Madam, 24 June, 2011 at 10:44
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We put arrive at 1.00pm to be seated for the ceremony which begins at 1.30pm - gives people a little freedom but being early is courteous as well as less stressful Smiley smile

As for RSVP dates, being August I'd suggest sending a save the date out as soon as possible so people don't start booking up to be away on holiday that time. We sent our rsvp's in October 2010 rsvp March 2011 for a September 2011 wedding, and have just sent out our second "information letter" to keep people up to date with our planning.

Although tradition dictates around 3 months for rsvp's, personally I think that's far too late particularly if you're dealing with it all yourself. Traditionally the bride's parents dealt with that sort of admin, usually the B&G deal with it now and you don't want to be spending ages faffing around chasing people when you're doing all the last minute stuff that needs to be done. Our venue requests final numbers 3 weeks before our date when the final payment is due.

You'll get a dozen different answers regarding dates, so really "what works best for you, based on any requirements your venue has" has to be the only real answer.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I would always arrive 15 mins before the time on the invitation, as I would assume that was the ceremony start time.

I get married on the 28th August this year and sent invitations out in the first two weeks of April, with a 20th May RSVP date. We received pretty much all of them back by that time (with verbal accepts/declines from the outstanding ones).

We haven't yet sent any evening invitations but I will not include the buffet time on them.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We put the actual ceremony time on the main invitation bit, then added a note in the additional information which said that they would need to be seated in the church 15 minutes before the ceremony start time.

We had to give final numbers to the venue 4 weeks before the wedding, so the RSVP date was 6 weeks before to give us 2 weeks to chase any outstanding.

I wouldn't include the time for the buffet.

We had pocketfolds and they all had "Tying the Knot" on the front, it was the invitation wording inside that was different.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this is what we did!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Our ceremony is at 3.30pm but I put 3.00pm on the invites - I have to be there ten mins before to meet the registrar and i dont want anyone seeing me in my dress before i walk into the room. that way people will be there by 3-3.10pm and I can slip in incognito!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all, some useful tips.

I think I will do as some of you are doing/have done - I will state the actual ceremony time on the invite, and suggest guests arrive 15 minutes earlier on the info card. Doh! So obvious now it is pointed out!

Maybe an end of May deadline then to ensure we have got lots of time? If they are ready I could always send the day invites out in Feb if you are supposed to give them 3 months.

When is it usual to send out the evening invites? I am assuming they won't need as much time as not catering specifically for them.

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    Sara-Jane ·
    • Hide content

We put 30 mins earlier on our invites just to allow for late comers and any one that is on time they will only have 20 mins to kill of chatting and mingling before they will have to go in and sit down anyway. Our service is 1.30pm and we put 1.00pm. Our church seems to be quite strict on not being late so we are aiming to get there at 1.20pm and have a couple of photos out side first of me and my dad.

When I was bridesmaid for my cousin last year we arrived 10 mins before her and every one was still out side, so we were basically mingling with the guests before hand which I defo don't want my bridesmaids to do! I don't want any one to see them till they enter the church and also when the bride arrived at 1.30pm people were still arriving and hanging around outside the church although I thinking this was down to bad Ushering from the Ushers! so if you decide to put the correct time just make sure your Ushers get every one inside before you arrive and also most churches don't mind the bride being 10 mins or so late.

We are also having Pocket fold and we did put "evening invitation" on the evening ones as I wanted people to know as soon as they looked at the invite didn't want them to open it and then be disappointed when they read the details. But I am probably thinking about things to much.

We are getting Married 20th August and sent out invites out about 2 months ago and our RSVP date is the 10th July. I wish I had done it earlier as we are still waiting 3 rsvps back which are holding up everything! If they don't come my OH wants to invite 3 people from the evening list so he hasn't even sent them there invite yet....

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Anyone who turns up late will be told to wait outside until the ceremony has finished. No excuse.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! Hopefully people will have the manners to arrive earlier than the time stated anyway but you never know! I think I will say something like '1.30 for a 2pm ceremony' or state the time and put a suggestion in with the info. Maybe could just have 'invitation' on the front, under our names, then I can always use the main invites for either/or day/evening, and just have different RSVP cards.

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

We put 'Arrivals from 2pm for a 2:30 ceremony'. We wanted to make sure people didn't arrive before 2 as the bar will not be open so people may just be standing around bored.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Our service commences at 3pm, so i've said it starts at 2:45pm, as I want to be at church for 2:50 having some pics taken in the gardens.

We are 12 August wedding and sent our invites in April with an end of June RSVP deadline. I have received RSVPs from all of my guests now, however 3 have been "I'll need to let you know as late as possible due to work commitments". OHs guests are a different story, and will again, only be chased at the last minite due to the nature of their work meaning they are likely to be called away at short notice.

I haven't got an info card / that kind of detail in my invites so i've put a kind of hour by hour plan on our wedding website which shows the buffet time for guests - but it would depend on what time your serving it. If you can guarentee all your evening guests will be there by the time it's served, then it won't be a problem, but if you are serving it relatively close to their arrival time, i'd want to tell them, so they understand that if they are coming a tad later they will need to eat before they come.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics