Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner

A Dream day......in Malta

Ruby2, 18 of January of 2010 at 20:55 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 9

Hi all,

we recently got married in Malta and i thought i would return and waffle a bit to you to see if some of the processes/decisions we made are of any help to you. I found this website sooo useful when we began planning.

When we originally got engaged in March 2008 we did not start planning until the summer. We were struggling initially to decide where to get married. We originally thought Mauritius and began exploring this as an option. I then got worried that this would be too far for our closest friends and family to attend and knew it wouldn't feel the same for me that they would not be there. Then we considered UK but felt that it would be far too expensive and cold! We then started looking into Europe. We found that in Italy, Spain and France (places that we had both loved from childhood holidays) it was far too complicated and involved that either having residency/catholicism was required. My husband then found Malta. Neither of us had ever been there before but when we looked at some of other people's wedding photos and general holiday photos we thought how gorgeous it looked. Also the requirements for getting married there are fairly unrestrictive and it appeared to be easy to get married out there and there would be no need for translators as english is so widely spoken.

So, on this idea we decided to book a week away to Malta to find out whether we genuinely liked the place. Before we went over we emailed a few wedding planners from Malta (found on this forum i might add) and initially we were crestfallen with the response. We we received fairly standardised responses which appeared to be almost too regimented for us.

We then found out about Mark and Mariella from Dream Days (http://www.dream-days.com/html/Default.aspx) and we were so enthused by the enthusiasm they showed about our enquiry. We initially filled out an enquiry form which outlined basics of the wedding we were hoping for and we received feedback shortly after with a few ideas but Mark was keen to speak to us properly about our expectations. He contacted my husband by telephone and spoke at length about the wedding and suggested that while we were in Malta we could meet up with him and then make a decision once we returned to the UK about whether we wanted to use his service. Mark never wanted any money for the initial consultation whereas other wedding planners we had previously emailed had wanted an expensive consultation fee ranging from 100-250 euros.

Before we left for Malta Mark and Mariella had emailed over venue suggestions and they were also happy for us to bombard them with emails about venues we had heard about previously. We then all shortlisted the more realistic venues for our wedding party size and requirements and chose two of the many possible venues Dream days offer.

Mark arranged to pick us up from the airport on the first day we arrived and took us to see two of the venues- Villa Arrigo and Villa Marija. I had fallen in love with villa Marija from the photos emailed to us by dream days initially but my husband had liked the look of a different venue. When Mark showed us around Villa Marija i knew this was the ideal place for us to get married. It suited what we wanted so much and was simply beautiful. My husband too then fell in love with this venue as we walked around it we could both really see ourselves getting married there. Mark was also so good at talking through to us the packages from the venue and could really help us to imagine what the set up would be like on the day.

9 replies

Latest activity by Ruby2, 18 of January of 2010 at 21:12
  • R
    Beginner
    Ruby2 ·
    • Hide content

We simply loved Villa Marija as soon as we saw it, it is a stunning venue and had the real mediterranean feel that we wanted from a wedding venue. However we needed to keep a clear head and so we followed Mark (in the absolutely awful weather....apparently it had never rained that much in over 15 years!!!) to the next venue.

This venue was Villa Arrigo. As we pulled up we could see it was a very grand venue and as much as it was beautiful we had immediate reaction that this one was not for us. The venue had beautiful grounds and really lovely decorated rooms inside including a very large ballroom. Looking round my husband and i felt our smaller wedding party (we were planning to invite 50 but realistically thought that only half would probably be able to go) would be swamped in this venue whereas Villa Marija had lots of smaller rooms and as large as it was felt it would not overwhelm a smaller group.

Some pics of villa Arrigo can be seen on this website:

https://www.theweddingsite.com/villaarrigo/index.htm

and some of these pics shows how beautiful the set-up is. However it does not show how lovely the garden is where generally the ceremony is held.

Although we did not think this lovely venue was "our venue" we did get some good ideas for the set up. One of the key things we noticed was how lovely the chairs were. They were dressed in white chair covers and had a beautiful burgundy sash tied in a bow.

Here is a link to a pic similar to the one we saw although not exact.

http://www.myerscatering.net/images/sashes/sash_burgundy_big.jpg

• R
    Beginner
    Ruby2 ·
    • Hide content

One of the definite choices we had made even before planning our venue was the colour scheme. I knew i wanted a traditional white/ivory etc dress and my husband wished to be able to wear red because it is the colour that really suited him. We did not decide on red because a close family member had red as their theme so we opted for burgundy theme instead. So as soon as we saw the chairs we thought how well this would fit our theme.

We pointed these out to Mark who discussed that at Villa Marija they only have certain colours which he believed did not include burgundy. Mark endeavoured to find out about these and although the venue did not currently have burgundy ties they were planning on creating some because they had similar requests from other couples who were also hoping to have a burgundy colour scheme and so we were very happy Smiley smile

After we viewed the venues Mark spent a considerable amount of time explaining the service that dream days could offer and typical prices ranges/estimates. He also spent the time to find out more about us and how to tailor a wedding completely unique to our personalities. There was no pressure to take up any of the services offered and before we made a decision Mark suggested we have a few days to think about what we have viewed and discussed and then to meet up later during the holiday if we have any further questions and to discuss in more detail.

After our initial meeting we were brimming with excitement and couldn't wait to start our planning. Because we had followed Mark on the venue visits we had been able to view quite a bit of Malta already and we had fallen in love with the island.

here is the official tourism website for Malta if anyone finds this useful:
    https://www.visitmalta.com/en/a/info/main-steet-complex/
  • R
    Beginner
    Ruby2 ·
    • Hide content

The next day we proceeded to drive round the area. One of the things we would definitely recommend to people going on holiday to Malta is to hire a car even if it is for a few days. We found ours invaluable and although the buses are regular and also fantastic looking, having a car means you get to have a tour round and means you can access some of the more rural parts and hidden coves that are simply beautiful,
    We also began looking for some of the other venues we found off the internet wanting to ensure that Villa Marija was definitely the venue for us. We found castello zimmetello, castello de baroni, and Selmun palace. We also loooked at some of the hotels that dream days had previously suggested including westin dragonara and we also looked at the registry officve and the anglican church. Everywhere we looked was gorgeous and all would make ideal wedding venues in different ways but for us they simply reaffirmed the fact that Villa Marija was the venue for us,

While we were staying in Malta we were also very lucky that the annual wedding fair was being held at the national stadium (Ta'Qali). I had found out about this only after booking our holiday from an email received after i signed up to:
    http://www.bridemalta.com/ ( a very useful site which includes many of the suppliers from Malta).

Dream Days were also attending and we had a brief chance to meet up with them and for them to show us the stands of the main suppliers that they used, including the florists, the car company and the catering service. They then left us to have a wander round and as we were walking around we saw the most beautiful wedding invitations designed by the florists that Dream Days used. We had never seen any invites like them in the UK and they were great value for money only costing a couple of euro's each, whereas we estimate we could have paid between £7-8 for a similar UK made product.

We also got to look at the cars available for us on our big day and i was quite keen on the Beaufort Princess
    (http://www.limo-sceneuk.co.uk/images/princess/1.jpg) especially because i thought i could fit my bridesmaids and my parents in the back!!

However, my husband is a complete Rolls Royce fan and eventually we decided on a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud but in the white pearl:
    https://www.theweddingsite.com/johnsgarage/ (and scroll down to second image)

We also thought we would need to consider guest transport and other cars for wedding party and after the fair we sat down and made a list of questions/ discussions to have when we next met up with Mark.

Throughout the week we continued to drive round the island, loving its quirky charm more and more. We met up with Mark the day before we were due to fly back to England. Mark, again, spent a great deal of time answering our questions, making helpful suggestions and prompting us to think about how we really wanted our big day to be.

Now it may be helpful to point out a bit of background about Dream Days, They are a husband (Mark) and wife (Mariella) team who have an experienced background in tour operating and who planned their own wedding in Malta and decided to set up their own wedding planning business. They are also two of the friendliest people you can meet and endeavoured right from the outset to provide us with an individual tailor-made wedding, which is quite unlike many of the major companies organsing weddings abroad. One of the qualities from Dream Days that made us make the definite decision to marry in Malta and to use their service was their highly personal and friendly approach and this is still continuing now after the wedding has happened. It may sound like i am trying to sell these to you but they really did make our wedding day a perfect one and i could not recommend them enough.

• R
    Beginner
    Ruby2 ·
    • Hide content

When we returned to the UK we found number of useful emails sent from Dream Days regarding our venue, potential menus, quotes and pictures from weddings previously held at Villa Marija. The photographs were simply stunning and really showed the creativity of the photographer used by Dream Days and the striking scenery within the venue. The photographer also included a number of options within the photography package for those who have differing budgets. We originally felt we would have the middle package and not go for a DVD because we both struggle to watch/hear ourselves on anything, and instead be happy with the wedding album and the disc including all the images that were taken on the day. However, after considering that many of the guests may not be able to come for some reason we felt it may be nice to have a DVD as a keepsake and to be able to watch in years to come. As some of you may remember i posted a few times on different forums to gain viewpoints from marrieds and newlyweds and one of the biggest regrets from other marrieds was that they never had a DVD and some who did highlighted it as the best choice they ever made. After such great feedback from other brides on this forum my husband and i decided to request Dream Days for the DVD and this was only at short notice!!! Both Dream Days and the photographer were very accommodating and after watching the DVD for the fourth time this weekend i really can say that i am so glad we decided to go for the package including the DVD.

Additionally the wedding album is stunning. I was asked by the photographer what style of album i would like and i chose a beautiful white album. We also did not have time to view the pictures because our wedding was held the day before we flew out for honeymoon and usually couples would spend some time with the photographer choosing the photos while they had some time in Malta. We had to leave complete trust in the photographer and honestly, he completed exceeded our expectations.

• R
    Beginner
    Ruby2 ·
    • Hide content

I will return back to how great the photographer/photography is shortly and will also include some more pics but until then....the planning. When we returned to the UK we were able to continue with our planning, We requested Mark for the beautiful invites we saw at the wedding fair and he liaised with the florists to arrange for us to be able to have these. Dream Days continued to send us proofs of the wording/invites and when we finally received them we could not believe how beautiful they really were. We were so excited to spend the evening making them up and everyone who received an invite commented on how unique they were. Onto who we invited. We both have fairly large families and really as much as we have fantastic families we really wanted a more intimate wedding day, however we did not want to not involve other members of the family. We decided that for the wedding day in Malta we would invite only close friends and family (i.e. parents, siblings, grandparents and uncles and Aunts). Before we sent out the invites we discussed the wedding and date with our families and we received great response straight away, with those looking forward to being able to visit Malta (some had been previously and loved it, others were looking forward to visiting a new place and having an excuse to have holiday) The date was also very important and took a bit of adjusting. Initially we wanted March because of this being the month we met and then 2 years later got engaged, however we felt this would be a bit of a wait and also might not be great weather. We then considered October but when discussing with Mark he recommended September may be better for the weather especially when considering that the guests will also hope for good weather on their holidays. We then thought about school holidays and so on and finally decided on our date to be 10.09.09. We also discussed with our families about the possibility of having an evening do for when we returned when all the whole family and more friends could be invited to celebrate with us and we agreed on trying to find a local venue that was also reasonable.

• R
    Beginner
    Ruby2 ·
    • Hide content

Excitedly i chose my bridesmaids; my husbands sister and my niece and then my best friend to be my chief Bridesmaid. I did find it hard to pick Bridesmaids because i have two older sisters who i would have liked to have been bridesmaids but also 3 best friends and realistically i could have only picked one of them. When browsing through this forum it made me realise how I am very lucky that my friends and sisters were happy in my choices and they played different roles within the wedding- my sisters agreed to complete readings and one friend agreed to be a witness whereas the other helped with general running of the wedding including handing out confetti and flowers to all the guests prior to the wedding.

My husband picked his best man and we chose my nephew to be an usher whereas my brorther was our second witness.

We both planned a weekend where i would go off with my mum, husband's mum and sister, niece and best friend to hunt for bridesmaids dresses whereas he and his dad would go for an initial browse for suits.

• R
    Beginner
    Ruby2 ·
    • Hide content

Prior to the bridesmaid dress hunt i felt i had already seen my dress. There had been a wedding discount fair held in London held before we went to visit Malta and my mum had accompanied me to this. I very naively hoped to find an absolutely wonderful dress for very little money and thought i would find it on this day. Talking to some of the other brides there they had had horrible experiences of trying to find a dress but i hoped it would be different somehow for me. We queued for ages andeventually were allowed in. I had to be measured and was very upset to find out the size i would need for a wedding dress. They claimed it was one dress size above usual dress size but these measurements were two sizes up.....first heart sink of the day. However the sight of large rails filled with beautiful dresses kept me going. My mum and i grabbed a number of dresses in my size. A few stood out as beautiful however others were less obvious. We could take up to 5 dresses in with us and the last dress i grabbed haphazardly was a Caroline Castigliano dress.

After waiting again for some time to be able to try them on my worst nightmare was realised when we walked behind the curtains- there were no separate changing rooms and everyone had to get undressed in front of everyone- EEK!
    the assistant was very helpful and willing to try and help to find my ideal dress. She discussed how i should have a theme in mind when i choose a dress and to consider what impact i would like to have on my day- whether as a princess, or more simple and striking. trying on the dresses i really didn't like the floaty, extra girly ones and then it came to trying on the Caroline Castigliano dress. It was so stunning and pulled all my lumps and bumps into a beautiful hour-glass shape.

• R
    Beginner
    Ruby2 ·
    • Hide content

As stunning as it was my mum sensibly brought me back to earth by asking the price. Although cheaper than instore it was approx £2500. PHEW!!!!!! As beautiful as it was, and as much as the dress suited and fit me well (it would not have needed any alterations) i could not justify spending that much on a dress- that would eat up most of the wedding budget. We gave our many thanks to the shop assistant and left, me feeling a little upset that my dream dress was at this moment in time just a dream.

talking to my husband he suggested for me to search on the net for it if i loved it so much to see if we could find it cheaper. I hunted for weeks and weeks trawling ebay, and online second hand wedding shops and online advertisements to try and find it and alas could never find one in my size.

On the weekend we went hunting for bridesmaids dresses we began looking in some bridal shops. The girls all encouraged me to begin looking for more dresses although after each shop began to feel less and less like i would find the dress for me. We also did not have much luck with the bridesmaids dresses. We tried high street shops, and bridalwear and could not find a dress in the colour scheme we wanted in the right style to suit all the bridesmaids, who are all different sizes and have different shades of hair and skin colour. At one stage i considered different colours for the bridesmaids dresses but one thing that helped to continue with the burgundy is that the colour flattered all of the bridesmaids and they all loved it.

At the end of a long but exciting day we only had two more wedding shops to try. The girls all encouraged me to try on any dresses as they felt i was being too fussy and not trying them on after making them try on lots of dresses! lol. I found one dress i liked and this was £400. We decided to try the last shop before making a decision and this last shop was pronuptia.

many people on this forum have discussed that they have received a poor service from this brand however i have nothing but positive comments to make. As we walked into the shop we had nothing but good service. We began to look at the discount rail and the assistant helped me to find the dresses in my size (not in the two sizes above as the designer assistant had suggested!!!). There were a few i tried on but last but not least was a simply beautiful dress made from a type of silk taffeta type material with thick straps and v neck line and ruffling which was very flattering on the bodice. it also had diamontes and a detachable flower and had a lovely train that was long but not too long!! As soon as i walked out and showed everyone they were all in agreement that this was the one. The assistant was fantastic and really helped to make this a very special moment. She got me to choose various accessories to add to the dress and even grabbed a bunch of flowers to help me imagine what it would be like on the day!! I bought that dress which was approx £295 (maybe even less can't remember the exact amount, but still huge difference from £2500!!! I also bought my veil from there, which was a tiered cathedral length veil and also had diamontes attached. the veil was fairly expensive in comparison with the dress but it fitted the dress perfectly and looking at my photographs now i wouldn't change it. I was very lucky that my sister kindly offered for me to borrow her gorgeous wedding tiara and so i didn't need to worry about that.

• R
    Beginner
    Ruby2 ·
    • Hide content

We left the shopping trip feeling so happy and excited and it just made us more determined to find the bridesmaid dresses and so we planned to look more locally for their dresses.

The next day we looked around 3 local shops and all the girls patiently trying on a number of dresses within quirky places. We found the most ideal dress which suited all the girls within one of the most expensive shops (typically!!!!). And without realising the dress also echoed much of the style of my wedding dress so would complement mine perfectly! This was an impressions bridesmaid dress 1668. However this cost approx £180 in the shop and this is without alterations!!

When we returned from our trip i discussed with my husband and he actually found the dress on an American website for approx £70!!! We quickly ordered 3 of them in the girls sizes and eagerly awaited them to turn up.

• R
    Beginner
    Ruby2 ·
    • Hide content

So after the dresses the next important thing to consider was the bridesmaids shoes. We ummed and arred about what would be the best colour shoe to go with the dresses and decided that because it may be difficult to match the shoe with the dress we would perhaps go for silver to match the jewellry they would be wearing on the day. I was shopping with my husband's mum and sister when we came across the most beautiful shoe made by Dune- only in a silver colour with lovely diamontes, which would match the dresses- thing was it was £80 and could not justify buying 3 pairs of them at that price!!!

Luckily my mother in law is a great bargain hunter and found a pair online that were in a similar shade to the dress and had been reduced to £25 because they were last season's stock! I quickly emailed the girls and they all replied stating how much they loved them. When i tried to order them there was only one pair left!!! Another heart sink. We still decided to continue to buy them thinking that this may be better because we could check whether the shade did match with the dress and if they were right we could scour ebay for them.

When they arrived they were beautiful- although appeared to have a bit more pinky tones and we worried whether they would go with the dress. We now had to eagerly await the arrival of the dresses.

Finally after a few months the bridesmaid dresses arrived, and although a long wait they were definitely worth it! They were simply beautiful. The girls also tried on the shoes (all of them had the same size feet!!) and the shoes matched the dresses perfectly. Right now just to find 2 more pairs!!!!

We all tried to hunting for pairs, searching through ebay, my mother in law and husband's nan searching in every department and dune store they came across and a few weeks later they were successful and found a further pair. We decided that 2 pairs is better because the two younger bridesmaids could wear these and we could find a different pair for the chief bridesmaid. Throughout our hunting we found a black pair of the same shoe which was also reduced to £25. this was ideal and that was the bridesmaid shoe drama over with!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics