Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner

A postponed wedding - & still worried about 2021!

HappyGoldCakes18662, 5 of May of 2020 at 11:29 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi all

I'm mostly writing just to hear from others in similar boats. We were due to get married on 16th May. I started to get really worried in February as things were not feeling good, then when they announced the over 70s would be told to stay inside, I knew I had to delay, lockdown or not, as it affected my Dad and many family members and family friends.

Obviously, the lockdown doesn't yet cover our wedding date so the venue is holding the 15th May 2021 for us. We were hoping to claim on insurance but the insurance company has recently decided to find a loophole and not honour any covid claims.

When we discussed postponing with the venue, they did offer some dates in 2020 but I wanted to put as much time between now and our wedding in the hope things would have settled down. Now, all the news is that this will be with us for years, the 'new normal', social distancing at all times etc. I know I shouldn't think too far ahead but does anyone else worry about what shape their wedding will now take? After going through the heartbreak of postponing once, I don't know how we could do it again. My main hope is that there'll be a cap on guest numbers - say 50 or 100 and we would just have to work to that.

I also feel a lot of guilt, because weddings seem inconsequential with everything else going on and I know we're in a really fortunate position.

Any thoughts from others in a similar position or advice on how others are coping would be greatly received!

Sending everyone who has had to postpone or are worried of needing to do so later in the year, a great big hug.

2 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 13:51
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Sending huge hugs to you.

There is no perfect answer because none of us knows what will happen. The one thing this should have taught all the scientists who are saying what the virus 'will' do, is that as humans, we don't know the answers and we have no control over it! All I can suggest is that you get as much information as possible about the various options, and talk it over with family.

Smaller weddings are much more likely to be able to happen than larger weddings, so looking at reduced numbers might ease your mind that it is more likely to go ahead. Look into livestreaming or video recording of the ceremony, in case guest numbers have to be limited nearer the time. Also, consider an outdoor reception (and outdoor ceremony if your venue allows this) and ask the venue and other suppliers what procedures they have in place to deal with potential future outbreaks. Keep planning as flexible as possible so that you can make changes to respond to any new regulations or restrictions.

Something else to think about is getting legally married with just 2 witnesses or a small number of family/friends and having a celebration event later. I know some people feel a bit of the pressure is taken off if they are actually married - as it stands, most weddings are a huge commitment between two people AND a major party, so if you've already made that commitment, you only have the one big thing to worry about, not two.

I think it's also important to give yourself time and permission to be sad about this. It's a horrible situation and you have a right to be upset about it.

• H
    Beginner
    HappyGoldCakes18662 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much for your response.

I mean - everything is kinda planned as we were so close so I guess the only thing we'd have to consider is the 'shape' of the wedding - i.e. number of guests, could do an outside ceremony at the venue etc. We've spent a lot of money and have to spend another 50% due to postponement so I'm not sure we could go through another postponement in 2021... but I guess we just have to cross that bridge!

It's very difficult as no one does know, but so much speculation and stark warnings that just fill you with dread.

Have to just hope all weddings in 2021 can go ahead in some guise, and I'm sure the joy and celebration will still be there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics