Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin8
Beginner June 2014

A question about resignations

Erin8, 11 of November of 2014 at 21:38 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

I am having issues agreeing my last day at work with my current employer. I handed my notice in on the 22nd October 2014 and l need to give 4 weeks notice. They are saying my last day is Wednesday the 19th of November but l am saying its Tuesday the 18th of November 2014. Who is right!

12 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 12 of November of 2014 at 17:41
  • WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

I'd say it was the 19th..

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I'd say the 19th too. I would have taken the first day of your notice as Thursday 21st Oct

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I handed it in first thing on the 22nd and they should count that as the first day surely?

They also have miscalculated how much annual leave l have used. They don't seem to grasp that l won't be taking my annual leave on the 27th of November as l will have already left. I wonder why l am leaving?!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think if you handed it in first thing then that day counts as your first day of notice. So it would be the 18th. That's just from a quick google though.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Unless you were specific in the letter, ie 'I am resigning from my post and will work out my notice period starting today *date* and ending *date*', then I think it's fair for them to receive your notice and start the notice period with the next full working day which would make your end date Wednesday 19th.

They should not be having such difficulty over the AL situation though!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

It's all academic anyway as l am not coming in on the Wednesday whatever happens. I was assaulted today and yesterday, l was given zero support. I have had enough

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bloody hell. Hope you're ok considering.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear that erin. Just a quick note to say though that if you don't work it they may stop your pay as you haven't technically worked your notice period. If your pay day for your last month is after you've left I'd be wary.

Not saying you haven't got valid reasons but if they are struggling with your annual leave it seems like they could try and use something like this to benefit themselves

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Holey do you mean pay for that day they claim l should work? To be honest l don't care, l am sick of the lack of support and constant assaults of my and my colleagues. I got hold of my immediate boss this morning who agrees l am right and apparently has sent an email to this effect which l will forward to everyone. They owe me time which l have proof they do and will be taking on Sunday

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Keep your head down and keep going Erin, not long left to go now Smiley smile

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

First of all, eeks about the situation, sounds absolutely horrible all round, especially the assault, and I hope you're hanging in there ok.

Re the last day, if you're struggling with them over the annual leave day on 27th which you won't now take, can you pull it forward and take it on the 19th, thereby nixing them? Or are they trying to make you work extra day *because* you've got to work enough time for the leave, which sounds to me like a nonsense?

Generally speaking though, for future reference, best to state from what day you are declaring your notice and what day you will be working to, ie.: "According to the terms of my contract, I hereby give notice of my resignation, effective from [the date]. My last working day will be [last day]." Then when they accept your resignation, they've ipso facto accepted the dates as well, and you can point them to the letter if there are any disputes.

Good luck with it. And many weirdy hugs.

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content

I recently resigned and my notice is one calendar month, so I resigned on the 27th and my last day is the 26th. On that basis yours should be the 18th. If you count the working days you will have worked 20 so four weeks. I guess depending on when specifically you resigned (i.e. 17.30 rather than 9.00) they could argue that you the 22nd wasn't a day of your notice period but no employer I have worked for has ever been that nit picky.

As an aside, I hope you are ok and going to a new job which will support you correctly!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry to hear about the assist. It's down to you to specify your last day in your role on the notice letter. I can't accept one from an employee unless they have written it on there themselves. We are not allowed to specify it as we could be at risk of constructive dismissal further down the line if the employe says they didn't want to go in that day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics