Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Aurora Borealis
Beginner June 2013

A silly question about ceremony seating

Aurora Borealis, 25 of May of 2013 at 13:22 Posted on Planning 0 4

I am trying to work out which seats I need to leave free in the ceremony room for the bridesmaids and my Dad. But I'm not sure who needs to sit in the front row. I am having a civil ceremony and there will be five seats on each side per row. I have my Mum, my Dad, my brother (usher), my Granny, OH's Mum, OH's Mum's partner, OH's Dad, OH's sister, best man, usher, MOH, 2 bridesmaids, pageboy (MOH's son) and MOH's H will want to sit with his wife and son.

So do I have my family and the other usher on one side in the front row, OH's family and the best man on the other side of the front row, then the bridesmaids, pageboy and MOH's H in the second row? I wasn't sure if the bridesmaids need to be in the front row. Do they walk down the aisle and then go and sit down or is anyone supposed to be standing up at the front? And what do the best man and ushers do, when do they sit down?

I'm just not sure of the logistics of things, I've never been to a wedding ceremony before. Any advice would be appreciated!

4 replies

Latest activity by kharv, 10 of June of 2013 at 13:06
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Traditionally, it's your bridesmaids and your father in the front on your side. Mother if you want, but mothers are often in the row behind if there's limited spacing. Or your father could also go behind with her, depending on how many BMs. Anyway, BMs normally up front with you. On your OH's side, him, BM and ushers. Or put ushers behind and have his parents up front, doesn't really matter. Talk to the venue and registrar about it, and don't forget to deserve an aisle seat for anyone doing a reading who isn't in the front row.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We had my parents and bridesmaids (3) on one side, and H's parents and best man on the other. There were two spare unreserved seats on that side, which H's aunt and uncle took. Our ushers were at the back because they'd been showing people to their seats, and H's brother was at the back because he was taking photos.

It's tricky with your setup to work out a way that's not going to upset somebody. I would reserve specific seats in the front row for all the people who will be walking down the aisle (your dad, bridesmaids, page boy, the best man and possibly the ushers) and then just leave a general reservation for the rest of the family members and let them sort it out amongst themselves.

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

Thank you!

• NYE2012SparklyBride
    Beginner December 2012
    NYE2012SparklyBride ·
    • Hide content

I had the same problem and got married at Easthampstead Park on new year's eve last year. I had our family on the front rows and then had extra seats put at the front facing out to the guests for the bridesmaids and ushers, either side of the big table they use in the Terrace Room. I loved that they felt more part of the ceremony and it meant they could walk down the aisle and be by their seats before I arrived so they weren't blocking the aisle Smiley smile

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We made 'reserved' signs with names on for the first two rows on either side.

My side - front row was bridesmaids, second row was my parents, brothers and brother's wife

H's side - front row was best men (x2) and his parents, second row was his sisters and husbands

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics