Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pammy67
Beginner April 2015

A Snowdonia Wedding

pammy67, 17 of March of 2014 at 07:00 Posted on Planning 0 15

On the Welsh Table Names thread I mentioned my wedding in Betws Y Coed. Another Hitcher leni-lw! replied to my post and I said I'd start a new thread. Here it us.

We don't speak Welsh but have some friends who do and we're going to get their help with our vows. Will only be a few words lol.

We're getting married at the Royal Oak. Have been in Betws this weekend and fallen in love with it all again lol.

I do have a question tho which I'm hoping leni-lw! can help with.

Our venue is lovely but is not the best for photos. The scenery around is just stunning so we're hiring a vintage bus to take us on a ride around and to a photo shoot. We are thinking bodnant but it's a bit of a walk from the bus. I just wondered if you knew of anywhere within about 15 minute drive from betws where we can get a bus and would be easy for elderly and very young guests and give us the views.

15 replies

Latest activity by pammy67, 21 of March of 2014 at 17:40
  • S
    Beginner September 2014
    Surfer Rosa ·
    • Hide content

Sorry of no help what so ever but just wanted to say how lucky you are to be getting married in Snowdonia. It is just beautiful. I ran the marathon there and the scenery is mind blowing x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

There's Swallow Falls near Betws Y Coed but I'm not sure it's accessible for elderly and the young. It would make wonderful photos. H and I have done alot of walking in Snowdonia and it's fabulous.

Could you scout the area and mark all the places where you could visit prior to your wedding?

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can't guarantee getting a bus parked at swallow plus it's a bit risky with two 2 year olds and a four year old. And it's only 2 mins up from Betws. We are scouting the area but sometimes more local knowledge is a help Smiley winking we also have to consider the potential for horizontal rain lol.

It's the Weds after Easter when we get married so it will be busy here too. Lol. Xx

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shely ·
    • Hide content

My headteacher' s hubbie is from Betws, i will ask him if he is in work today. The Llanberis Pass is stunning for photos and about 20 mins away. Also Beddgelert is a gorgeous little village but not sure on distance from Betws. We used to have a caravan in Llanberis, oh how i miss it and i miss the gorgeous ice cream shop in Betws lol. What a fab place to get married, im jealous big time! X

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Aaw thank you. Must admit we are very lucky to be getting married there. It's a place that's very special to us. Thank you for the offer of help too much appreciated. We're now back home after a gorgeous 5 days in Betws. Can't wait to go back in 5 weeks when it's all about the wedding lol.

One thing I am keen to explore is if there's a barn or similar where we can get the bus off the road and have a nice back drop. Doesn't have to be Snowdon. Any of the hills will do Smiley smile We adore Beddgelert but it's not great for the bus sadly.

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

Nothing constructive to add...I just wanted to say I adore Snowdonia, even more so since May 2012 cos that's when h2b proposed at Snowdon summit!! Smiley smile

Love love love Betsw y Coed, it's so incredibly pretty!! I am really rather jealous of your wedding location!!!!!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shely ·
    • Hide content

Oh yeah never thought about a bus and Beddgelert. I asked him so he is going to hv a think and jot some places down, he went to school in Betws and lived in Capel Curig so knows the whole area really well. I will let you know what he suggests and hope it may be of some help for you. Oh and he knows the Royal Oak very well and had a fab story about the lady who owned it and how she started a wool shop in a shed at the side of it, which turned into an extremely profitable business and a huge shop!!

It's sooo exciting and im still jealous hehe x

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shely ·
    • Hide content

ShropshireLass how totally amazing being proposed to at the summit of Snowdon. An amazing place and i have proposal envy!! X

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Shely that's really kind. Must admit we feel rather fortunate too. We were struggling to decide where to get wed and it was OH's daughter that said she thought we'd get married in Betws as we loved it so much. We thought why not Smiley smile

Your OH must be talking about the Anna Davies shop - it is huge -for Betws at least Xx

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

If you go on to www.golwgtrwyrlens.blogspot.com and a wedding back in 2012 may ish ( just had a peek) there was a couple who got wed then went on a bus tour of snowdownia and got loads of different photo backgrounds. CApel curig has stunning views by the lake (just behind plas y brenin) royal oak is a lovely place.. you could go into cadwaladers ice cream and have some fun pics taken.. my friend did this and her pics is in the above page. Castell gwydir is also another spot you could go to or maybe llanrwst?

But if you have quite a few guests that have never been up here then if it fits into your day the bus option sounds fab.. open top sherpa bus Smiley winking I cant link pages im on my mobile. I love betws and not betsy as some people call it Smiley winking I can easily pop over to betws and have a proper peek and upload pics on to here for you. Edited... there is a converted barn on the road from beddgelert up towards the pass towards capel curig.. again look up tony fanning photogrophy and im sure it was him that took the pics at this barn.. what time is your wedding? Smiley smile

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Smiley smile

we get wed at 2.00 and have the bus booked from 3.00 I think for two hours. There or thereabouts lol.

Off to look at those sites now Smiley smile xx

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

You can easily fit Beddgelert into that 2hr slot.. stunning little village.. and more than enough spots for pictures along the way. Smiley smile and perfectly safe for all ages.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shely ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for delay he hasnt been in work most of week. He was today and handed me some suggestions for photos within 15 mins.

Have a look at:

Capel Curig - the lakes just past Plas-y-Brenin on the Beddgelert road out of Capel Curig, Snowdon as background!

Llanrwst, go over the bridge as you get into Llanrwst, and immediately left onto Gwydyr Park, some lovely places down by the river.

Picnic site above Betws. Go over Pont-y-Pair bridge and turn left. Follow the road - becomes narrow and interesting! Go up a steep part to a t-junction and turn left ( nice handbrake start!!), there is a little picnic site about 200 yards on left - truly amazing views.

Nebo - above Llanrwst, take a drive along the road and look out towards Snowdon - some excellent backdrops.

All minibus friendly.

Hope this helps even a little bit and im now even more jealous haha!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for these - very much appreciated. I'm familiar with them all Smiley smile and have got some on the list Smiley winking. Sadly it's not a minibus - it's a full size but vintage coach - like the one they send round Great Orme. But when we go next month - I'll take all of these ideas with me and have a close look to see if we could get the coach in and if necessary, I'll speak with the coach company and see what they think. They should know if it's doable or not. I like the Capel Curig pull ins by the lake - stunning - but it'll be Easter and getting a car parked in them is a nightmare let alone a bus. But I have thought about approaching the outdoor centre to see if they'd let us use their car park Smiley winking. I really like the picnic spot and as we'll be having drinks and nibbles think it would be good - it's just being able to get in. It's one of those things that sounds wonderful in theory but making it happen will be tricks lol. But that's half the fun of planning a wedding lol.

Many thanks again - you're a star Smiley smile

x

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shely ·
    • Hide content

No problem, you are welcome:-) let us know when you have it all worked out xx

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I will do Smiley smile x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics