Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

emmy1979
Rockstar June 2023 West Yorkshire

Aargh! Why do people/guests get so weird about weddings?

emmy1979, 8 July, 2010 at 12:09 Posted on Planning 0 23

I realise that I should be the bigger person here and just give in for the sake of familial harmony but honestly my sister is doing my head in. She turned round to me this morning and said 'I have invited X and Y to your wedding'. A couple who are her and her OH close friends. I purposefully didn't invite them because they were really nasty about my OH (he's very shy & quiet and the're not) so I didn't want them there and also the man creeps me out, he's a bit slimy and sets me on edge. Don't know why it's just a gut feeling I have about him.

I had specifically said that I wasn't inviting them but she's gone ahead and done it anyway. I told her that she had no right and didn't want them to come and she just said that she'd rather they come than her MIL & FIL (who I have invited, because I like them) can you write them an invite! Why do people get so strange about weddings? Surely it's the bride and grooms right to invite who they want? I've read so many posts on here where MIL & FIL are allocated a guest list of their own and have always found it strange but a sister having her own guests? Does anyone else find this weird or am I just being a bridezilla? If X and y come there will be a terrible atmosphere because they will definitely sit there bitching about my OH with my sister and poor OH will know they're talking about him and also the creepy guy will creep me out and I don't really want to feel uncomfortable on my wedding day. Aaarrrrrrggggh.

23 replies

Latest activity by lizzyleek, 9 July, 2010 at 10:30
  • smyvicki
    Beginner September 2010
    smyvicki ·
    • Hide content

I think she has seriously overstepped the mark! That decision was firstly not hers to make, and secondly you had previously said you weren't invitin them! I would be fumin. you are not over reacting one bit! Its your wedding not a free for all!

• woo-woo
    Beginner
    woo-woo ·
    • Hide content

Emmy please DO NOT give in to your sister, she had no right to invite them and will just have to uninvite them, how rude. Stick to your guns on this, I'm a firm believer in picking your battles ad keeping the peace but this I would definately take issue with.

My H2B's mother called us the other evening to ask if she paid for their meals would we invite her dad and his wife!!! My H2B is not close with his mum at all and has very rarely seen his grandad and his wife over the years, we don't even get so much as a Christmas card, I only met him for the first time last year and I've been with H2B 10 years.

We told her point blank no way, she still argued saying surely it didn't matter as we wouldn't be footing the bill etc, she thinks we are just being awkward for the sake of it, oh well see if I care!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

No you are not being a bridezilla in any way, shape or form. Don't send Creepy Creeperson and his OH an invitation. Your sister has no right inviting HER friends to YOUR wedding.

I doubt they will turn up uninvited - and if they do, tell them to sod off. Don't invite them and stick to your guns. x

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

its YOUR wedding, and if ther not on your guest list forget them!! she has a bit of a brass neck!!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Oh i know its odd people just inviting who they want and as for parents having a guest list thats bizzare in my eyes. Its OUR wedding and we will invite the people that matter to us, not Moms friend from work, or father in laws cousin in scotland who OH hasnt even met. Just tell her straight that they cant come as numbers wont allow it and that the invites you have already sent out will stick as they are the people you want to invite

• emmy1979
    emmy1979 ·
    • Hide content

I know! She is a cheeky cow at the best of times but she has definitely overstepped the mark here. If you are having a wedding you want friends and family there who love and support you relationship, not people who have previously asked what we are doing together. The problem is that I know my mum and dad will support my sister because they like X and Y but I have told them in no uncertain terms that I don't like them and won't be inviting them too. I clearly spelt it out to my parents and my sister but they obviously failed to listen to me. I'm going to my sisters later for my nephews birthday party and I'm just going to reiterate again that I'm not inviting them. Sheesh, some people eh?

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

just dont send them an invite, or invote them to the evening if you wanna compromise with your sister!! If not it will be up to her to sort it out! So not your problem dear! And you're not bridzilla!! definately not!!

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

Weddings do turn people into freaks! How rude, rude, rude of your sister (sorry). Hope it goes well telling them, you really would feel awful and uncomfortable on YOUR wedding day if they were there - I would. (Which is why I'm not even having my own sisters there, how mean am I!)

You are definitely not being bridezilla, it's yours and your OH day and the last thing you want is people there who don't support you as a couple! you're having a wedding at home to share it with people you care about, who are going to celebrate your union. Anyway besides all that, even if you loved them, it's your wedding and nobody else should be inviting other people on your behalf. What is wrong with the world? **sighs dramatically**

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

What they all said.

She sounds like a bit of a nightmare, Emmy. Good on you for sticking to what you believe in and not just giving in. Cheeky little madam!

• COCOCHIQUITA1984
    Beginner
    COCOCHIQUITA1984 ·
    • Hide content

Is your sister married? If so, she should know the grief of wedding guest lists herself and quit now! If not, my oh my, you could totally have fun with that when she does Smiley winking

Stand your ground hun, it's your wedding! Just because she would prefer these people to come than her MIL/FIL doesn't mean you have to bow to her demands! As you said, MIL/FIL are nice people, whereas by the sounds of it X and Y really aren't! You don't want people there who are going to make you and H2B uncomfortable or on edge....and if all they're going to do is *** they clearly don't want to be there either!

Oh to run away and elope! x

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

This really winds me up. Families think they get to do what they want but it is our wedding day after all especially if they are not paying anything towards it.

Please don't give into your sister and if they still turn up then they should be shown the door. Plus do they really want to come to the wedding?

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

I am so lucky not to have had to deal with anything like this as this sort of situation would have made me lose it!

Please dont give in, also its your OH wedding day also and how dare anyone make him feel like he is being talked about behind his back on his big day.

Stick to your guns and stuff who it upsets, its not worth you two being upset on the day for.

xx

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really do have to echo that!!!! you do not want those people there - for good reason it seems, she had no right to go over your head especialy after you had already said you wouldnt be inviting them, stick to your guns honey and remember its YOUR wedding you DO NOT have to justify yourself in any way shape or form!!! x

• AutumnRose
    Beginner
    AutumnRose ·
    • Hide content

That is really not on!!!!!!!!! Stick to you guns!

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

?OMG!!! (and it's not often I use that!)

I completely agree with everyone else, do not send them an invite. That will give them the hint. Remind your sister you are getting married and both you and H2B want to have a relaxed enjoyable day - not worrying about avoided creeps who have made your H2B feel down before.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Aw what a horrible situation - one that your sister really shouldn't have put you in.

I think that given they will change the atmoshpere of the day you have every right to say no - if you knew they would blend into the background and behave then you could consider a compromise but in this case - i'd just so no...

...blame whatever reason you like.. Get H2B to say he doesn't get on with the guy, say the MoH doesn't get on with him.. Whatever it takes to make you happy.

• emmy1979
    emmy1979 ·
    • Hide content

Well she's not very happy about it but I've told her categorically that they're not invited. She said she's going to have a word with my parents about it! ? I asked her why she thought it was ok to invite them to my wedding without asking me first, knowing I didn't want them there. She said her OH had mentioned in front of them that he hadn't given his parents the invite yet (as my sister hasn't let him, she was trying to avoid them being able to come) and X and Y had started asking all about the wedding so she felt obliged to invite them! Er no, it's not your day, we're the only one obliged to invite people!

As for talking to my parents, well she can try that but as we are paying for most of the day ourselves I don't think they'll try to enforce it on us. OH is going to be fuming when I tell him about his, am thinking of just not telling him tbh.

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

Your sister didn't want OH's parents to come? Crazy! It sounds like she has the perfect day she imagined for you in her head and really wants to live it!!!

I really hope you manage to sort this out without having to give in! Be firm and be strong. If you need support tell your OH and I'm sure he'll try to back you up even if he is shy ?

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

Oh no she's going to tell on u.....you might end up on the naughty step!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Crazy,well if they don't get an invite they should get the message, unfortunately she sounds like the type to tell them to just turn up. I would speak to your parents first, before she does. Also contact her OHs parents and ask them if they got their invite yet, as she is clearly hoping that will create spare places.

• lizzyleek
    Beginner October 2010
    lizzyleek ·
    • Hide content

NO!!!! Stick to your guns!!!! Do not invite them tell your sister to sod off!!! It is your and your OH's special day and only want to be surrounded by the people you love and who care for you not some slimeball and bich3y missus!!

Good Luck!

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics